Unlimited access >

Worried after Horse Tripped

Hi all! Anyone who’s read my other threads knows I’m a bit of a worrywart, so I’m hoping COTH can confirm or deny I should be worried after what happened while I was riding today.

I have been full leasing a Thoroughbred mare for two years now. She was going very well until she developed the mother of all abscesses, which put her out of work for about four months total. She is now sound, but understandably stiff and tight. She has had her teeth done, and her regular chiropractor out. I’ve been sticking to walk/trot with some polework to bring her back up to speed.

On Sunday she felt so good I did some canter work for a few minutes and was so happy with how she felt.

This morning while riding, she tripped at the trot while warming up badly enough that it took a few steps for her to catch herself. I stayed on without too much effort so I don’t think it was as bad as it felt, but I was pretty startled! We had another 30 minutes with no further incident. Just before she tripped, she was distracted by a tractor coming in to the barn aisle (we have just moved and she’s still a bit looky at new surroundings).

I had a friend who’s horse ended up having arthritis in its neck so of course I’ve gone straight to that, but my head tells me this mare has been very sure-footed for two years and she may just be out of condition and was distracted. When would you worry about a more significant stumble? Thanks in advance!

I would worry if it happens consistently. Tripping once, when you know she was distracted, and is out of shape, is merely a data point. I’d say “oh, that’s interesting” and write it down so you have a record of it in case it becomes important later. Then go on with your plan.

14 Likes

Yep, I agree

Agreed. Tripping one time is only a vet call for me if the horse doesn’t right itself and goes down. If the horse recovers and continues on soundly, then I’d file it away and see if it happens again.

My very sure footed horse has only tripped once in our early days. We were riding at a walk past the in gate in the indoor arena and she was looking over her shoulder trying to see outside. She somehow went down on her knees in slow motion, sat there a moment going wtf did I just do? then heaved herself up again. Never did it again, learned her lesson.

3 Likes

This felt like EXACTLY it. She wanted to see something, head going one direction and legs going another.

Feel much more confident with everyone having a pretty universal opinion it’s just my overactive brain. :crazy_face:

1 Like

I would watch her at liberty and on the longe, though. And make sure she isn’t falling on the forehand when you ride.

1 Like

Sometimes horses trip. They get distracted, or hit a funky piece of footing, or a limb just doesn’t land where it’s supposed to. It can be scary as hell (my rock solid mare tripped and fell with me at a canter out of nowhere and it’s by far the scariest fall I’ve taken. She stubbed her toe and suddenly there was nothing to hold up our weight). But unless it starts happening often I wouldn’t worry just yet.

1 Like

I think a horse tripping once is like us tripping… it happens. Sometimes for not good reason, sometimes for a good reason (distracted).

1 Like

Agree with all, tripping once, especially in your circumstances is not that alarming to me. I was riding a horse with neck arthritis, he minor trips a bit, but took his other half leaser with him one time. Shortly after, i was cantering, and he tripped, and literally face planted, with sand all over his nose, ears, face, and i flew over his ears superman styled. it was scary and my trainer asked me why i didn’t pull him up to help him out. I am a little slow and dumb, and i didn’t know what happened until i landed on the ground.

The barn we’re at now has grass paddocks, very hilly and enough that I could understand if she tripped, but even at liberty I’ve never seen her take a bad step. Even when bucking, farting, carrying on. Same on the longe.

I will say, when I first started riding her she had a tendency to want to work with her head way up in the air, back hollow and on the forehand. I didn’t have the chance to see how she was ridden previously, but it feels more out of habit than anything else. (All obvious things ruled out, teeth look good, saddle is a custom fit and fitter is out regularly to check and take charts of her muscle growth, yearly lameness exams.) Before the abscess, we were making some real progress with more engagement in her hind-end and trusting contact but she’s definitely lost some topline in the four+ months she’s had off and we might just be back to the drawing board a bit since I notice her wanting to drag herself along again.

Rode yesterday and today, no trips. Thanks for the food for thought!

2 Likes

No way in hell would I keep riding a horse that would face plant at the canter if I didn’t “pull him up to help him out.” Please be careful!

2 Likes

Yes I agree! My trainer was “he’s too relaxed with you !”
I love him to pieces but it was very scary, with his neck arthritis too. If he’s a safe, packer I would think twice. But he’s also green, spooky and stops, so no thanks

1 Like

I had this happen on a horse with undiagnosed EPM once. We were cantering, and then all of a sudden the ground was really close. There wasn’t time to “recover” the stumble, we were just…crumbling.

He recovered with meds. I still remember how close the footing was and how quickly it approached. Luckily the footing was deep so the fact that he half-rolled on my leg was just an anecdote.

To reply to the OP, I wouldn’t worry. A horse that trips while distracted is a horse. Focus on becoming more interesting than the tractor :slight_smile: Which can be hard!

1 Like

They trip. Hop back on and jump around.