Unlimited access >

Worst to First

In pretty dramatic fashion. He looked like he thought he was in a steeplechase there at the start. Lol.

https://m.facebook.com/story.php/?id=100063778771103&story_fbid=858638739605411

4 Likes

That was an amazing save and an amazing ride!

1 Like

Horses are so weird.

Iā€™m sure Crimson Light knew he was going into the gate for a horse race, but then the bell rang while he was thinking about something else.

But oh, yeah ā€¦ the race! What, now ??? Right now, you mean ??? So Crimson Light thinks OK lemme get this done, then I can get back to the rest of my life.

2 Likes

The jockey said he saw the fence inside of him and thought he was supposed to jump it. :astonished:

3 Likes

I watched this race live on YouTube (ā€œAqueduct Simulcastingā€). I LOVE the jockey, Kendrick Carmouche (ā€œLouisiana in the House!ā€). It looked like Kendrick nearly fell off at the beginning (if you saw a head-on view). Itā€™s too bad that ā€œAmericaā€™s Day At The Racesā€ came on later----Kendrick is always a great interview and very entertaining. I think Kendrick said in an interview that his daughter is into hunter/jumpers.

Crimson Light is by City of Light, same as Fierceness. :slightly_smiling_face:

2 Likes

Well, if he managed to win this race with that start, imagine what he might do the next time if he actually grasps the process a little better. He might win by twenty lengths!

1 Like

This video shows the start in more detail in slow-mo. Itā€™s a miracle the guy even stayed on, much less got to the wire in front. :hushed::racehorse::hushed:

https://x.com/darwinvizcaya_/status/1744096076762685913?s=46&t=NfYG97zAd6l1PxuUmWM6fQ

4 Likes

Thanks!

The head-on view at the end really does show that the horse was headed for the side fence, not the racetrack. Oh horse.

Itā€™s pretty crazy.

The fact that the jockey was able to completely defy the odds and stay on when his center of gravity was so far off to the side seems just incredible.

Never mind the rest of the race!

I love Kendrick Carmouche (jockey). Heā€™s such a patient, sympathetic rider.

3 Likes

Kendrick was very kind to the horse in the Paulick Report interviewā€”he said heā€™d ridden the horse a few times in gate training and knew he was a kind, good horse that didnā€™t want to be bad or naughty, just was briefly a little overwhelmed.

7 Likes

Thank you, MHM, for posting that link. Loved to hear what Kendrick said about the race. Lots of times (as in your link), Iā€™ve seen someone from other-than-the-regular-broadcast-team interviewing the jockeys after the races. In fact, I watched one jockey who won a big race interviewed by the regular ā€˜crewā€™ and then later saw an interview with him in Spanish about the same race.

If you want to see the whole race (although Crimson Light is out of the picture until late), start at around 1:40:55.

Aqueduct Simulcasting - January 7, 2024 (youtube.com)

3 Likes

https://paulickreport.com/news/thoroughbred-racing/he-deserved-to-win-after-all-that-carmouche-pilots-wild-first-time-starter-to-victory-at-aqueduct

3 Likes