Unlimited access >

Would love opinions on TB pedigree

Hello, I would love some opinions on this thoroughbred gelding I am interested in as a hunter. Saw some video and he seemed very quiet and was quite a cute mover, but wanted to know more about his pedigree. Thanks!

http://www.equineline.com/Free-5X-Pedigree.cfm?page_state=PROCESS_SUBMIT&horse_name=Slambo&foaling_year=2006&dam_name=&x=57&y=17&nicking_stats_indicator=Y

Far from expert but enough in there I like to go meet him!

Pedigree doesn’t matter much at this point because he is what he is.

The two things that stood out to me are Holy Bull as damsire, a top and bottom double to Secretariat (Bold Ruler) and tail female to Missy Baba. Other than that, it’s a fairly standard race pedigree with Mr. Prospector and Northern Dancer. The eventer crowd likes Danzig very much, and if you have to have Mr. P, Gone West is one of his better sons for sport. Sire’s tail female to Plum Cake is probably a plus, since one of her daughters was the dam of Alydar but this daughter is not by On-and-On who was a fabulous jumping sire. Key to The Mint and Graustark are also good. Sex Appeal was also the dam of Try My Best, who, IIRC, has quite a few sport horse descendants in Europe, but I could well be wrong on him.

We’ve had a couple of Holy Bull grandsons in our barn (both by the same local sire, who is in turn by Holy Bull). Sweet, goofy, charming personalities and amazing natural jumpers. The one in particular is incredible with his hind end…

What viney said. It’s an average ( aka very common) pedigree. Not stellar, no fruit loops. It’s very nice 3 or 4 generations back. So,being a mature gelding: just look
At the horse.