Unlimited access >

Would you buy a horse with OCD?

Here are the facts:

-10 year old Oldenburg gelding, 17.2 hh

• OCD lesion on right front (forgive my ignorance, but they say the lesion is not within the joint, is still attached, and has not changed based on three separate X-rays taken over a 4 year period)
  • no history of lameness
  • currently sound
  • passed PPE with flexions
  • 2 vets opined that the lesion may not ever be of concern
  • asking price of 12k
  • horse has been in moderate work since he was started
  • horse’s intended purpose is light-moderate work in low level dressage and a tiny bit of jumping
  • horse gives no indication of pain upon examination
  • horse has an exceptional disposition and temperament

My only concern would be the jumping since he needs to land on his front.

1 Like

What joint is affected?

My gut reaction is: he has been in work at the level you want, and there have been no changes for four years, so likely to continue to be fine. However, the affected joint and significance of the lesion would make a difference. Ask the vet if there would be any recourse if it started to break down the cartilage or initiate bony changes based on the size and location.

2 Likes

Assuming the imaging of the area now shows no new changes and no active inflammation in that area, it wouldn’t bother me since he’s already working at the level you want.

5 Likes

For a young horse newly in work, nope. For a horse with many years of regular work under his belt, sure. Typically, vets are pretty cautious about OCDs so if two do not see it as something likely to present an issue, I’d feel pretty good about it.

3 Likes

I would be questioning the low price for a mature WB that is in work and sound. I’d definitely flex other joints and be tempted to image the same joint in the opposite leg and maybe hocks and stifles. If that’s the only finding, I’d consider purchasing, especially if he’s not intended to be a resale horse.

1 Like

yes I would buy, and have bought a 3 year old this way who was not broke out yet and took the risk (with small price reduction) and so far is 3 years this has paid off BIG time for me with what I am hoping a true upper level horse :slight_smile:

2 Likes

I’m going to raise a red flag here. OCD lesions can only be found in the joints as it’s based on how the bones ossify during development. The only place that is at risk due to this process, is the joints. Have you seen the radiographs? What was the lesion scored at? It’s not an OCD lesion if it’s outside of a joint.

Here the surgery would cost about $3000 if you wanted it removed. If he’s working at the level you want, is currently comfortable with no changes in the last 4 years, I would take the risk but offer 10k and see if they would take it. If it truly is an OCD lesion, sometimes they will heal on their ow. But if this one has not, in 4 years, I wouldn’t expect it to. With OCD lesions that don’t heal, you will run the risk of degenerative arthritis, and general inflammation and pain caused by the lesion.

1 Like

I’m not sure I’d consider surgery on a 10 year old horse who is not showing clinical signs of lameness. The lesion is not going to heal and has no changes in 4 years. When we talk about OCD lesions healing, we’re talking about horses under 18 months of age. At 10, any degenerative arthritis that this might relate to will already start to be present, and any inflammation would also be present given that this horse is performing the expected workload.

3 Likes

i bred a filly who had OCD. Sent her (along with her dam as she was not yet weaned) to the Univ and had the scraping done (left stifle). Because i could never be sure that in her case the deformity was NOT congenital, i kept her, forever with me. I was afraid she might wind up lame, or uncomfortable being ridden, or worse yet, be used for breeding even IF lame. As horses go, this beautiful Morgan mare has not ever been a horse i have loved, but we’re ‘friends’. She’s 20 now, never been lame a day in her life, but i’ve only ridden her a few times in those two decades. She’s a lovely lawn ornament. I would never buy a horse with OCD because of my experience with her.

1 Like

Yup, I did. Got two outside opinions of imaging. OCD on a non-weight bearing surface in rear hock. Vets did not really advise surgery as the horse wasn’t lame.

Horse has been in work now for over 3 years and has never been lame. I get an image done about once a year to see if there are any changes and so far there have been none. Bought the horse from a very trusted source, we had a pretty detailed financial arrangement to cover if the horse went lame in the first two years I had him. Never had to act on it. Love the horse, have had a lot of fun with him. Glad I wasn’t scared off by the xrays.

1 Like

I just bought one with a stifle OC (no detachment) that has never bothered him so far at 4 years old.

Not sure I understand making claims about soundness on a horse that was never ridden, but in any case, I’ve had several in work who had significant OCDs and never had a real issue with any of them. It’s a finding that bothers me the least of what can be found on x rays.

I did. I bought my mare at 2.5 with an OCD in her right hock. It was very small and the vets said easily removed. They were right. I had it removed as soon as the purchase went through.

She’ll be 6 this year and working 2nd/3rd with no issue (knock on wood).

1 Like