Unlimited access >

Would you switch vet clinics over payment type?

I prefer using my Amazon card to pay bills because I pay it immediately. I used to use this card to pay vet bills, the advantage being that I could pay immediately, while the vet was at the barn. Then my vet started charging a fee if you use a credit card. Yes,I find this annoying. I love my vet though, so I just wait for the bill and pay by check. I despise paying by mail, but it is what it is.

My view is that if you like your vet, pay them how they want to be paid. Most states allow companies to pass their merchants services charges for cc’s and bank transfers (eChecks) to the customer. You could ask if your vet would be willing to accept your AmEx if you paid the difference between the amount that AmEx charges and the amount the other cc’s charge (~ 2%). That is assuming your vet did not move to a merchant services provider that just does not have a contract with AmEx at all, which is possible.

I have excellent credit; what I don’t have, is a job. I’ve been a SAHM for 5 years. Could I find someone that would give me another credit card? Yes, most likely. Would it have good terms or a decent credit limit? Very unlikely. :joy:

To answer some of the other questions: This and every other vet clinic I’ve ever used in the area (except the university, who bills later and has a whole student finance office to handle accounts and collections) is payment due at the time of service. There is NO billing, you MUST pay the full balance before you leave. This clinic doesn’t do any of the electronic payment services, no PayPal or bank transfer or Zelle/Venmo/etc. Cash, check, or card only. I believe their new system just does not take Amex, the way it was worded led me to believe it wasn’t that they decided to stop taking it but the new system won’t. I do not have checks, and we keep only enough $$$ in our checking account to pay bills, the rest is divided between several savings accounts over several different banks - some of which I cannot instantly transfer back from (this is done on purpose). This is why I don’t pay cash/debit; the credit card covers everything and I can fuss with bank transfers on my own time, not while the vet is standing there waiting to be paid.

Honestly I was just curious what others would do in this situation. I know what my options are.

I wouldn’t personally. Unless I was unhappy with service I would stick with a practice who is familiar with my animal and get a different payment method.

All those payment services cost the Vet money in various fees. I would change my card to whichever service the Vet takes or pay cash. Our Vet clinic needs payment before they leave our barn. They do take credit cards, but we prefer to pay by check. They give an itemized bill off the front seat printer!

Husband the Farrier explored taking CCs, but the service cost too much. Not profitable to small business owners by needing extra time and attention, plus having to raise charges to cover this expense. His and DDs farrier practice takes cash or check when they work on the horses. Very few customers are allowed to mail checks, turns into a “I forgot” thing and collecting can be difficult. Funny how they find the money when he says “Well I can pull the shoes, you only pay for the trim!” Bad checks probably will get you removed from the customer list AND going to small claims court for the charges!

Not the service providers job to subsidize the horse owner! They can’t profit when being charged by all the CC company services high rates. They have to turn a profit to stay in business and keep their employees, vendors paid. Horse Vet does come when you call in the dark of night! Keep the Vet happy by paying promptly with methods they accept!

@Heinz_57 do none of the banks you use offer a card that is both a debit and credit card for your accounts? That might be the easiest thing to do in this situation. It allows you to use the credit card feature of the card, just like you are doing now with your Amex.

To answer:
No, I would not change vets.
I hope this is not too personal, but if you are SAHM, is there a working spouse who could get a card (accepted by your vet)with a decent interest rate & both your names as cardholders, to be used by you exclusively for vet expenses?

Maybe I’m not understanding, but I’ve never heard of this? My debit card can also be run as a VISA, but it’s not a separate line of credit, it’s just a different method of charging to my checking account, which isn’t where I keep extra money. I suppose I could open another checking account with one of the banks and treat it as yet another savings account for this purpose, though. All my other accounts are savings, which have ATM-only cards.

@2DogsFarm that is a possibility. DH has an aversion to credit cards and borrowing money in general, so it might take some discussing.

goodhors, I have never not paid a service provider promptly, and I have acknowledged that I completely understand any business not wanting to pay extra fees to take card payments. Frankly I don’t understand why small service providers DO take checks - my farrier friends are full of stories of NSF charges, post dated checks, checks written on closed accounts and major headaches trying to ‘collect’ money from non-payers.

Is American Express the ones who must be paid off monthly? If so, I don’t understand the problem with using the credit card you have in addition to AE? Just pay the balance off as you normally do at the end of the billing cycle. Many banks offer their own credit cards too–not linked to your accounts as a debit/ credit.

I wouldn’t change vets.

This is just a regular credit card, you can carry a balance and get cash back for purchases. You might be thinking of Capital One? I think they have a card like that, targeted towards bad/no credit individuals.

AmEx used to require payment in full at the end of every month, but now they allow you to carry over a balance just like any other card.

From what I could find, they introduced their first credit card (no monthly payoff) in 1987. From 1958 until 87 they only offered charge cards, which had to be paid off every month, yes.

If you have excellent credit, in spite of not having a job outside of the home, credit card companies will still give you a credit card. Credit score is the important thing.

And to answer your question, no, I would not change vets if they no longer take Amex. I believe Amex charges more for companies to use it than Visa and Mastercard. The ONLY reason I have an Amex is to book Delta flights on it so I don’t have to pay baggage fees. If not for that, I wouldn’t bother with it. I do have a corporate Amex as well, but that is issued by the company I work for so I have no say in that one.