Would you take a chance on an OTTB with a knee chip? Update: he's home!

I’m part of a large racing syndicate, and one of our horses just came off a race with a swollen knee. Xrays show several small bone chips on the upper joint of the knee. Track vet says he has a good prognosis to return to racing with surgery, which runs ~$3k and 90 days rehab. He’s running in 5k cIaimers, and it’s not worth it to the club to rehab him so I can take him home for free (plus surgery and rehab costs).

He’s a 3yo, so I’d assume he will heal well if there are no complications. He has the best temperament- walks to the track and around the paddock flat footed, super easy in the barn and loves cuddles. I think he would be pretty easy to rehab and restart. He has decent conformation for a sports horse (a touch butt high but good angles and straight legs). I am looking for a new riding horse for mid level dressage (ideally 3-4th level) and lower level evening. I was actually thinking about buying him when he retires, but wasn’t planning on him retiring like this.

I board, so there is risk in buying a horse that may become a pasture pet. I rehabbed my last OTTB from a navicular fracture, so this doesn’t seem that intimidating to me. Would it be worth it to pay a sports medicine vet to review the films and give me a second opinion and potentially take this guy home?

5 Likes

I probably would, assuming I got a promising second opinion from the best sporthorse vet/surgeon I could get my hands on, and had access to a surgeon (at the track or at a vet hospital) who does these frequently with a good rate of success. If he’s likely able to return to racing post surgery and rehab he’d likely be fine for dressage and eventing.

Assuming his temperament is as good as it seems, even if he’s ultimately not 3rd-4th level sound he can likely be turned into a solid citizen. The knee may need maintenance down the line but anything can, really.

9 Likes

Without knowing more info, these things in general have a very good prognosis.

I also own TBs in large syndicates, and I can say if I were in your shoes, I would absolutely take him home.

I used to get a fair number of knee chip horses a million years ago when I flipped TBs (not to mention all the ones I had when I laid up racehorses). Sometimes it’s not even an issue for a lower level home. If it is an issue, the surgery is pretty straightforward and has a good success rate. And the cost of it has come down A LOT in my lifetime.

9 Likes

If the chips are “fresh” the prognosis with surgery is very good. If they have been injected with a steroid and run on, not so much. No insult to you as an owner! Just stating it because it is something trainers of low level claimers do. Have the X-rays reviewed by the surgeon you would use. There is an excellent chance the knee will be trouble free after recovery.

4 Likes

If you already know and like the horse, yes, I’d take him home. And decide if the surgery is something you want to pursue. Maybe, or maybe not for the surgery.

Good luck!

4 Likes

Yes, I’ve known several OTTBs with knee chips removed that went on to be lovely 2’6’’-3’’ hunters for years with their adult-amateur owners, staying quite sound.

1 Like

My horse raced until he was 7 and had multiple chips taken out of both knees when he retired from racing. He’s now 25. He is still in full work, weekly jumping lessons, eventing BN and showing 1st level dressage. The only issues I’ve had are that his knees swell more than normal if he smacks them on something, but even then he’s still sound on them. I’d buy another one with knee chips without concern, assuming a vet looked at them and didn’t think they were a total disaster.

Thanks for all the advice, I decided to bring him home! We found another chip in the opposite knee, so he had surgery on both. Got a really nasty pressure wound on one side from a slipped bandage, but it’s healing well. He’s been an absolute dream so far. Doesn’t seem to mind stall rest, easy to hand walk, and has hauled solo twice now.

Planning to do a course of Legend and IRAP, and his feet are going to need some work but I’m so happy with him so far!

48 Likes

Oh he is super cute! Glad you got him. TB feet…well, they just take time!

3 Likes

Omg, I want to kiss that face a million times! And then come back and do it again tomorrow!

5 Likes

Oh would you look at that face! Fingers crossed for uneventful recovery.

So… what are you calling him??

2 Likes

What a sweet face!

2 Likes

Congratulations, I hope that he feels well and you guys have a lovely journey together. He looks like a sweet guy!

2 Likes

I hope he has an uneventful recovery. :blush: What is his breeding?

1 Like

I’ve decided to name him Elliott.

11 Likes

He’s by Midnight Lute out of a Run Away And Hide mare.

Congratulations!! What a beautiful boy. So happy he ended up with a caring individual. Give him a kiss on the nose for me.

2 Likes

What a perfect name. Please keep us updated and give Elliott a peppermint from his adoring COTH fans.

1 Like