Unlimited access >

Would you take in this horse?

Hi,

So I have a situation: I'm a hunter/eq rider, and last year I leased a horse to show. This horse is a 9 year old Hanoverian with Olympic bloodlines. He has the most amazing jump, which makes his nasty ground manner (biting, kicking) worth to put up with.However, that didn't really work out, because a month after the lease began, this horse, Astro, turned up lame. We got him front right leg x-rayed and ultra sounded and found that he has a bone deformity in his leg (enlarged and eroded sesamoid bone), which causes damage to the ligaments in his leg if he continues to undergo intense jumping. So we got him shockwave therapy to fix the ligament. And things actually got worse. Before the treatment was over, he stepped on a nail and had to be rushed to a vet clinic. His body was flushed, he had multiple MRIs, and stayed in the clinic for a week. When he came back, he went to our local vet's backyard barn in order to have both of his injuries properly taken care of. Astro came back to my barn 4 months later, and slowly was brought back to work. His nail injury was completely healed. By this past December, he was cantering, while the vets decided that it would be better for him if he was to stop jumping (due to the bone deformity, he would need therapy every year, or eventually destroy his ligament all together), so we began to train him for dressage. He has beautiful extensions, collections, shoulder-ins, half passes, and he is just learning turns on the haunches. However, he still has his nasty behavior. Though Astro never hurt me, he would definitely scare off someone with less confidence. But his rideability is excellent, his gaits are smooth, and he has so much potential to succeed. 

So now, my year lease is over. His owner does not know what to do with him, because he is good to be a school horse but his manners and injuries would prevent anyone else from taking him in. Is as offered to adopt him, but I cannot support another horse. Therefore, I have a question for you all: if you could acquire this horse (for free), might you still do so considering his manners and injuries? Do you think that a school would accept him as a flat or dressage horse? I am trying to find him the best home possible, but I'm not even sure if anyone would want him at all. 

Thank you for reading my long story! I know it must’ve been tiring :wink: but I really do appreciate any advice!:slight_smile:

No, I would not take him in. Horse’s are enough of a drain both financially and emotionally without taking one on that could potentially harm someone. Too many nice horses out there to take one like this on.

I’m sure the owner would love to get him off her feed bill and onto someone else’s.

No

His owner does not know what to do with him, because he is good to be a school horse but his manners and injuries would prevent anyone else from taking him in.

I doubt that he would enjoy (or tolerate) life as a school horse - certainly no school program I know would take him on: aside from the maintenance costs, the kicking/biting would make him a liability; additionally he’s only a dressage prospect at 9 which means he’d need to be in a training program etc

As a “giveaway” or “free lease” to the right person, perhaps :slight_smile:

(I suspect his insurance is going to be an issue going forward as well)

No. Because of the ground manners I would not want him in my barn, and I suspect a lot of barns feel the same about horses who bite and kick in a serious fashion. The soundness issues would limit his potential as a school horse as well, not to mention you couldn’t use him as a school horse because what if he bit or kicked a kid? Liability out the wazoo.

He sounds nice under saddle but a time bomb waiting to retire on your feed bill forever.

School horse would be out of the question.

But

What does he do on the ground? Is he one of those horses who would line you up in the stable every day without fail, or just the occasional being a brat. If he’s as lovely as you say under saddle he might fall into the hands of a rider who can’t afford a super horse but has the patience to deal with him. There’s plenty of young riders without financial support looking for super nice horses. Injuries can be managed with correct care

And here’s the next but

You would need to find the RIGHT person to do it. And you would be looking to give him away as well.

No. His injuries are going to get worse with age, and his attitude is not something I would want to deal with.

Why doesn’t she pay to retire her horse? That would be the best bet overall.

The only way imo he could find a good home is if a vet report could show that the bone would not cause any further problems as long as he is in flat work. If that were the case, someone would probably take him due to talent and breeding and put up with his antics. Some horse get better mannered with a different owner. But if the leg issue was an uncertainty, would be difficult and she should retire him.

I question deformity/injury to this extent actually holding up to dressage training.

I think companion/light riding horse or retirement funded by current owner.

Very sad and unfortunate as he sounds like he was a talented guy.

Having retired a very, very nice horse due to a sesamoid & ligament injury, I would not take this one on if it were my decision to make. :sadsmile:

Dkcbr, you did the right thing and retired him. If this owner bought a jumper with Olympic bloodlines she is not poor. Step up and pay for your own darn horse in retirement. I fully understand someone with limited means who has no other options, but when people who can afford it try to make their horse someone else’s problem I have zero respect for them.

The OP who was leasing sounds like she cares more about the horse than owner.

The dangerous behavior will make it hard to place this horse. Why people allow a horse to learn that biting and kicking is acceptable is beyond me.

200% no

Usually a horse that nobody took the time to care enough about to teach manners to. Poor horse.

Definitely not as a school horse, but I rode a horse for a while that was a terror on the ground (dragged a girl though his pasture by her ponytail) but was such a blast to ride. If I could have afforded him at the time, I would have bought him and tolerated his nastiness. However, I am an adult, and have handled a lot of nasty horses.

With the deformities in play it is unlikely that he will withstand the physical strain of moving up the levels in dressage.

Retirement is probably his owners best option.

He’s more than just the occasional barn brat. He always bites and threatens to kick, and it takes a minimum of 10 minutes to put his bridle on. Thank you for the advice!

Having retired a very, very nice horse due to a sesamoid & ligament injury, I would not take this one on if it were my decision to make.

I hope you don’t mind me asking, but how old was your horse? And how was he or she injured?

The attitude is either pain related or training related, IMO. No reason why it can’t be fixed if either are the case.

No I wouldn’t take a horse like that in.

I’ve found that a lot of nasty horses have pain. I’d put him on a bute trial and see if that improves things. I wouldn’t want to take him on though- sounds like a no-win situation. Poor horse.

I’m probably the only crazy person here. But when money is tight, and I’m looking for a competitive partner. I am open to any possibility. My gelding is looking at a less “aggressive” training program. I’m looking for his replacement.

[QUOTE=Carli;7523453]
I’m probably the only crazy person here. But when money is tight, and I’m looking for a competitive partner. I am open to any possibility. My gelding is looking at a less “aggressive” training program. I’m looking for his replacement.[/QUOTE]

Many of us will make allowances for difficult competition horses.

Less so for someone else’s difficult ex-competition horse.