Unlimited access >

Would you use this saddle fitter?

There are not many saddle fitters where I live and even less tack shops with a variety of saddles to try. I called one that I’ve seen recommended in the local Facebook group but now I’m not sure.

She said she doesn’t find wither tracings useful and goes on dynamic fit. I described my issues, short backed horse, need for saddle that fits me and doesn’t go past last rib, and very large shoulders.

Told her some of the brands I’ve tried, Thorowgood cob - bridged, duett- panels didn’t fit his back well, arabian saddle company solstice - too small for me, and kept sliding back.

She then says that she usually recommends wintecs for types like these but aren’t they more for flat backs? Mine isn’t super curvy but not flat.

I don’t know, I guess I’ve heard about some appointments where they do tracings, offer more saddle suggestions and it doesn’t really sound like I’ll be getting that.

I made an appointment for later this month but now I’m not sure.

My saddle fitter never did tracings. I have bought two saddles through her and she adjusts them and a third saddle as needed.

I don’t know what your fitter meant by dynamic fit but mine likes to see the client ride in at least two saddles so she can see how the horse behaves and moves. The comparison is key. When I was looking for a jumping saddle (my first experience with this fitter) she brought a dozen saddles out after I’d sent an email with information similar to yours (what saddles I’d tried, why they didn’t work, what I liked and disliked about various saddles as a rider). Most of the saddles were put on my horse’s back and checked for fit. A couple were rejected without touching him. Two of the saddles looked like good fits, one of which looked to have been made to exactly fit his back.

I rode in one saddle, then the other, changed the pad and rode again, then the first one again. With the exact fit saddle he would not take any kind of stretch spot at the jump - it was perfect or chipped. With the just good fit saddle he’d take whatever spot quite happily. The panels may have been a factor; one foam and the other wool.

On the flat it was very subtle but I felt he was more willing to lift his back and give the full effort/range in things like lengthening and collecting and lateral work. Seeing how my horse went with each saddle allowed the fitter to observe his comfort and freedom of movement and compare.

When I needed the next saddle the horse in question had a difficult shape and she brought me three saddles and three saddle trees. One saddle was rejected after sitting it on his back, the second after a five minute longe, and I actually got to ride in the third though only at a walk because he was mildly lame at trot. However after a few minutes in walk he was volunteering to lift his back and stretch his stride and reach into the contact. She let me have it to test ride for a week and I bought it.

In the years since she has adjusted the fit multiple times as his back changed with work (he is really particular about his saddle fit) and each time. I longe and ride with further adjustments as my horse demonstrated his opinion. My other horse never complained about his saddle, he’d just give less in whatever we were doing, so it was up to me to be really in tune with him and really put him through his paces and ask for everything too see how willingly he did it. My fitter knows that many riders aren’t that in tune with their horses which is why she likes to see them ridden.

What I’m saying is that you really have nothing to base an opinion on at the moment - just because the fitter said things that surprised you doesn’t mean they’re wrong. You aren’t commiting to purchasing a saddle from them - remember that! :wink: If you and the horse aren’t happy with a saddle then there’s no sale. Drop your preconceived notions of what should happen and go through this fitter’s process, and make your own evaluation of your horse’s and your comfort with each saddle. What your horse tells you is the most important thing.

8 Likes

Good idea. I always over think everything so I’m going to chill out and wait and see.

Thanks!

For me personally, I’d be asking questions about what kind of saddles she had on hand / was planning on bringing to the appt. Does she stock / deal certain brands? I think those answers would heavily influence my opinion of the value of the appointment.

I dunno, I wouldn’t be willing to pay for an appointment for someone to rec a wintec without having some demos for me to ride in OR taking measurements / tracings.

But uh, I see you mention two hoop tree brands you’ve tried. If your horse needs a hoop tree then a Wintec won’t suit as far as I know. They definitely are more A shaped. I’m not sure on the curvy vs flat front to back.

ETA: three hoop type trees brands mentioned .The thoroughgood cob is hoopish if I’m not mistaken.

I wouldn’t be too thrown off by lack of wither tracing. Two fitters can get wildly different tracings and I’ve never actually seen them used to fit a saddle. IMO the fact they are upfront about doing dynamic fitting is a positive sign. I’ve had saddles adjusted before and fitter has not asked me to ride for them. Got on myself later and realized there was still an issue with my weight in saddle.

I’m guessing she probably doesn’t carry a huge stock of used saddles but hopefully can give you some ideas on what to look for. Saddle fitting is a crap shoot. I’d be asking what tree style would suit your horse for sure. Panel contact has to be determined with girth done up. Make sure you can fit hand into gullet on sides of wither while you’re in it and walk horse around to check for pinching. Put your hand under saddle and feel for tree points to see if they’re actually touching. If you do try some saddles, ask the fitter to explain whether the tree point angle lines up with angle of shoulder.

I’ve learned a ton from Saddlefitting.us Facebook page. She’s a Stubben rep but has some overall great info about saddle fitting.

Sounds like you need a hoop tree and a Wintec is about as V as they get. My vote would be to work with a “known to be great” fitter remotely and at least get their opinion.

I had an incredibly good experience with Amanda Berges of The Saddle Tree and she’s on this board. With her help I found a used hoop tree that fits my mare like a glove and has helped us both so much.

2 Likes

Tracing are not useful until they are. I normally don’t use them during an appointment, but they are great records to refer back to afterwards and I make notes on them for my clients. They can track changes in your horse’s shape and give you a general idea of your horse’s shape. Yes you can use tracing to fit saddles and I do that for long distance clients. Yes you really need the dynamic part of the saddle fitting. Just because it looks good in the cross ties, doesn’t mean it will under saddle.

You don’t need the saddle to be girthed to check the panels. They should flow with your horse’s back shape statically unless there is something in the dynamic fitting that says otherwise. If you need to girth the saddle up to get the panels to fit, I am guessing something is not completely correct. I actually also somewhat disagree with having space on the side of the wither. You need the support of the panel along the wither to support the rider. Otherwise, you tend to get lateral rolling of the saddle which horse’s hate or you can not keep it balanced.

3 Likes

Those who believe Wintecs won’t fit a horse that needs a hoop tree are mistaken. I have had very good luck with the Wintec Wides on two different horses that needed a hoop tree.

1 Like

I did look at the gullets and see what you mean. Quite wide.

You may get a good fit with the Wintec wide. It did fit my mare but I hated it for me. Duett makes us both happy so you just never know.

I’m currently using a Wintec wide AP for my very wide Fjord. It’s been serving us well for the last year since I switched the gullet and reworked the shims/risers. His saddle also fits the percheron mare in the barn :rofl:

If/when I need to make a change, I will definitely be looking at hoop trees, but until then Wintec it is!

1 Like