WOUNDED WARRIORS AND EQUINE ASSISTED THERAPY

Hi All,
I wanted to post a new program my 501c3 non-profit is going to be offerering to our wounded warriors. Equine Assisted Therapy which will include licensed professionals for Hippotherapy and Equine Assisted Psychotherapy. I am very excited about this.

I am in WA state. We will be doing the program on a 50 acre ranch which is donating their area. At this time they have 5-6 horses we will be using. I have a medical team volunteering their time as well.

In case you want to help we will need:

Contacts for hay and grain dealers that will donate
Helmets in good condition to donate for riding
Volunteers to help that have been around horses.
Of course as always cash donations…

Thanks for helping me spread the word!
Janice
Heartbeat Warrior

janice@heartbeatforwarriors.org

Did you notice the forum just for groups like yours?
You may want to post there.:slight_smile:

A most worthy cause…giving this a bump.

Hi All,
I wanted to post a new program my 501c3 non-profit is going to be offerering to our wounded warriors. Equine Assisted Therapy which will include licensed professionals for Hippotherapy and Equine Assisted Psychotherapy. I am very excited about this.

I am in WA state. We will be doing the program on a 50 acre ranch which is donating their area. At this time they have 5-6 horses we will be using. I have a medical team volunteering their time as well.

In case you want to help we will need:

Contacts for hay and grain dealers that will donate
Helmets in good condition to donate for riding
Volunteers to help that have been around horses.
Of course as always cash donations…

Thanks for helping me spread the word!
Janice
Heartbeat Warrior
www.heartbeatforwarriors.org

Hello
yes and thank you! i am posting all over the place:)
Janice
heartbeat warrior

Tell us More

I spoke to some Veteran’s Administration human resource officers at the Federal Dispute Resolution Conference in Phoenix about the concept of a horse related program and they were quite interested and there is money available to fund it.

Would you please tell us more about your program? How did you make contact with the wounded warriors program?

Thank you so much for asking.!:slight_smile:

I would love to know how the VA in Arizona has funding for that and if it is across the board to other states. I have made contact with the VA here and they have no funding for it. But that does not stop me.

I am looking at start date of Nov 1 of this yr. I have been serving military families in WA for 4 yrs so i have made excellent contacts with the commands for wounded warriors. It is pretty easy.

The Commanders are supportive of my efforts with this program. I am working with and they are volunteering for the time, OT person from the Army hospital here, a Psychologist from the same and 2 Social Workers. All EAGALA cert as well. We are going to do the hippotherapy and the Equine assisted Psychotherapy. I am very excited.

What else can i share with you? are you wanting to do this in Arizona?
Thankyou!
Janice
heartbeat Warrior

I am hoping to do the same starting in the Spring! Could I contact you (or vice versa) to find out how you are structuring it etc.?

I’m on the opposite coast (as far opposite as can be!) in ME.

I’m hoping to do recreational riding (trails available) as well as the type of riding we do for Special Olympians & Special Students which is more along the lines of phsychotherapy, though I am FAR from licensed or accreddited as such.

The horses on the other hand… :wink:

Thanks, I’m glad you posted here. My husband is a former marine and now works with TBI soldiers. We of course have horses, so this is very special to us. I’m forwarding it to him.

thanks again.

Hi - My mother is a case manager for the actual wounded warriors battalion/program at Fort Bragg NC, and we have a equine program here, that she runs on her own time.

However, we have had little to no support from the actual Wounded Warriors Program itself (ie: the WWP allowing the soldiers to participate as one of their optional activities/therapies)

Have you had sucess gettting the actual WWP to support this?

If so - do you have a contact name/# that you would be willing to PM me?

Thanks!!!

What a great cause, we should have a program here in Chester County, PA too. I can’t think of anyone more worthy to help than those brave soldiers who put their lives and safety on the line for all Americans and this country. They deserve the best, though they sacrifice everything for very little appreciation and pay.

I love this idea and wish I could use my farm for this purpose. Anyone out here near me interested?

God bless our veterans!

Tangentally, I saw a show on the Smithsonian Channel about Arlington Cemetery, and it turns out that they are using the caisson horses there to do therapeutic riding for wounded veterans! I thought it was a great idea.

If anyone has plans for one of these programs around southwest Michigan/northwest Indiana, let me know! It would be a great thing to volunteer (I’ve done mostly leading, a little sidewalking, and tacking/grooming and working/warming up program horses, from an Arab pony brat who wouldn’t let anyone else lead her to a 7/8 Perch.)

Good Morning
i am happy to talk to anyone who also wants to start something like this up…I am just in the beginning stages but i am happy to share what i have learned. I am actually on my way to a meeting with all the medical people involved.

Just so you know my background…I am not a professional…i was a single mom vet tech when i started a non-profit to serve wounded warriors and their families. So it really just takes stepping out and going with your passion. I heard once that passion will take you farther than logic says you should go:)
I am there!:lol:

Feel free to contact me by email: janice@heartbeatforwarriors.org
or by phone: 425-931-1047
Thanks
Janice
Heartbeat Warrior

I haven’t had the chance yet to ask my DH about who to ask for the key question of getting the funding from V.A. I will let you know as soon as I get info. I suspect you have to be on the GSA list (government services administration) but that is just my guess.

I just want to say thank you for doing this :slight_smile:

Hi Ya Whicker: is your husband deployed? obviously you are a military family. Thank you so much for your courage! let me know if i can help share in any way…I am learning as i go. :slight_smile: thanks for letting me know re VA…

Sassenach: thanks! honestly it is my honor and privlege to serve these awesome families…I am living my dream!!:wink:

We are also looking at doing this for the families of wounded…down the road…one step at a time:)

Janice
Heartbeat Warrior

Hi all…thanks for posting !

Eventer55: Thank you to you and your husband for your service to our country… Equine Assisted Therapy is a very worth while therapy for TBI …
Thankyou!

Naters: is your mom a nurse case manager for the WTU ( warrior transisition unit) at Ft Bragg.? that is awesome! Do you want to call me and i can share more relative to your questions?
Don’t give up!
Janice
Heartbeat Warrior
425-931-1047

Yep, she actually just transitioned to a private clinic, as the batallion was undergoing some reorganization. That is terriffic! I will pass along your information to her ASAP!

Thank you so much - sending you both an email now!

Carl Moore, DH and other talents

Hi Heartbeat Warrior,

Heartbeat Warrior,

Actually, my DH is one of the major gurus in the Human Resource world. He was one of the major presenters at the Federal Dispute Resolution Conference. He also has done much work in the private sector. If you want to learn more, go to www.Carlmoore.com. Yes, he has had major assignments in the Navy JAG. and the Department of Defense (I met him much later, when he was at the U.S. senate)

He loves horses. Because of my passion and work with horses, he rode and learned horse body language. We are quite interested and involved with EEO issues. I rode upper level eventing for a number of years during the Le Goff era. When we first met, we swap books that we had written. His was the major textbook on EEO law and mine was on horsemanship.

He has back problems now, so he can’t ride. He is out snuggling our horses every chance he gets. I hope that stem cell treatments for his back will get him back on the saddle.

Hi everyone!
just in case anyone knows anyone that wants to get involved in this. For our Equine Assisted Therapy program for wounded warriors in WA. we are looking for

1. Helmets for Heroes! any adult gently used riding helmets are needed for our program
  2. Riding boots, adult sizes ( more for men) or cowboy boots gently used sizes
    8-13

Thanks very much…if you want to donate these items and ship to me…I can give you a tax receipt…

Janice
Heartbeat Serving Wounded Warriors
3 425-931-1047