Wrong Diagnosis. Update from Lame Horse for months Vet Care and possibly putting the horse down

No, she never had her foot x rayed. My new farrier asked me the same question when he came 6 weeks ago. My farrier was here about 6 days ago and hoof tested her and she was sound. My new farrier is like a horse Whisperer. He is a Master Farrier and has taught classes to Veterinarians/students about hoof issues. He put her on wedge pads about 6 weeks ago and she immediately walked better, but not 100 percent. He was here recently to reset a wedge shoe that had fallen off and he came two days later, and he will be back for the full reset July 12th. He was the one that pointed out the shoulder injury to me and told me what to do. I have a new video uploading from this morning The tighter you make the circle to the right, the more lame.

1 Like

The thing with horses is that more than one thing can be contributing to lameness. She looks foot sore to me. Whether it’s her coffin bone or her navicular bone…. Only X-rays of the feet could tell. Does she ever have digital pulses? Do you have any good pics of her feet and conformation in her lower leg? Does she have short upright pasterns?

7 Likes

The fact she’s more comfortable in wedges very much support that you need x-rays of those feet.

9 Likes

Everyone who checked her, including me, a former licensed NYS Vet Tech who graduated from Delhi University many years ago, checked for digital pulse and there was none there. No she does not have short upright pasterns. I am 100 percent sure the initial vet checked her digital pulse and then an xray of the fetlock was taken, and subsequent injections given into the front left fetlock. I am not sure if I have a picture of her lower leg, I can get one later.

She is so fat. Having a hard time getting her to lose weight when I can’t really exercise her. I to only a handful of grain and all the rest are supplements and stopped giving her Dimple horse treat cookies a while ago. She did lose 150 lbs already.

Good for you! It’s not easy to get the easy keepers to lose. The right turn lameness makes my spidey sense wonder about her navicular bone. Or the myriad of ligaments in the hoof capsule.

1 Like

If you used a hoof tester on the hoof, would it come out lame if it is a bone in the hoof?

Not necessarily. X-rays you need X-rays. And again, this is just me seeing something that might not even be there… It’s the conundrum of horses they can have more than one thing wrong at a time

1 Like

I have a new video from this morning. She looks a little better than a week ago. And miles better from the 5/28 video ‘‘11 days after noltrex’’ video… the one that I muted because I was in tears. Here is from this morning. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3rFOCmpNaSs

She looks really foot sore right front. I can’t comment on the shoulder because I really don’t have any experience with that.

3 Likes

You really need to check into metabolic issues and laminitis. I believe this was suggested in your other thread.

10 Likes

Agreed. Her crest looks hard. What is her other food intake ? Pasture? Hay? Occam’s razor. When you hear hoofbeats. It’s usually not zebras.

1 Like

i have no experience with any horse lameness, so I am useless. I have had horses since the age of 12 and the only thing I messed with was abscesses and stone bruises, soaking hooves in hot water and hoof poultices, vaccines and coggins tests. I can safely say I spent more money, about 4k now since February, than all of the horses I have ever owned combined on vet bills, potions, lotions, supplements, treatments, vitamins, seers, psychics, transport yadda yadda

I can feel your frustration. It is very disheartening.! Maybe some quick x-rays of her feet and a plan to address her weight would be a step in the right direction? It’s such a conundrum because you can’t really exercise them if they are lame… But there are many Ways to manage a metabolic / easy keeping horse. From soaking their hay. To muzzling them To testing them for insulin resistance And sometimes our best intentions go awry. I’m not sure what kind of pasture she is on. Often stressed pasture,can be just as detrimental as a lovely Lush spring pasture. I do wish you the best

7 Likes

FYI both baiting and spotlighting is ILLEGAL in MO. Call and report neighbor to the DNR/ MO Conservation. Not to mention shooting willy nilly when you have close neighbors and their animals right there.

https://mdc.mo.gov/hunting-trapping/regulations/deer-hunting-regulations#:~:text=Prohibited,complete%20removal%20of%20the%20bait.

(OUOTE)
Is it legal to spotlight deer in Missouri?
No person shall throw or cast the rays of a spotlight, headlight, or other artificial light on any highway or roadway, whether public or private, or in any field, woodland, or forest for the purpose of spotting, locating, or attempting to take or hunt any game animal while having in possession or control, either singly …( QUOTE)

3 Likes

I am sure DNR would love a nice place on your property to view this as it’s illegal. Very illegal.

2 Likes

No advice on the lameness, but I had a horse that was terrified of loud noises and lights (lightning hit a tree next to her stall when she was little and she basically had PTSD after that), so we had to tranquilize her for the 4th. Something to ask your vet about.

1 Like

Why not just do x rays?

Also, if $4k is more than you’ve ever spent on all equine medical bills combined I can understand how this has been emotionally and financially taxing. I’m unsure how you’re $4k in though with no X-rays or ultrasounds or major diagnostics? It sounds like the vets are just loosely observing and then you’re perusing treatments on your own?

8 Likes

no ma’am, wrong. I had the vets look at her 4x and she had xrays of her fetlock. She had steroids, She had Noltrex. The 2.5 ml of Noltrex alone was 564.00 not including the farm call and everything else. Nothing they did worked. Understand?

1 Like

If I’d had 4 vet visits, fetlock x rays, steroids, and noltrex for $4k without a clear diagnosis and treatment plan I’d be very frustrated too. The shoulder injury is likely a secondary compensatory injury from chronically offloading a painful leg. I don’t think your vets went about this in a systematic way if they’ve charged you that amount without doing more diagnostics than observation and fetlock x rays. I’m not making light of the money spent, that’s real money by any definition. I hope you get clear answers and are able to have a comfortably sound riding companion or at a minimum, pasture companion. From past videos if I recall she was very uncomfortable so I’m glad the farrier has brought her some comfort. I do think that if wedges made a difference and she’s chronically obese, there may very likely be good rotation contributing to the broader issue.

12 Likes