Unlimited access >

WTD-Buy the baby or keep the 3 y/o

Big and gorgeous at 3 for a WB may not go as planned by 6 when they will be really big. Some of these big horses do fine, some I think literally have growing pains for quite a while and possibly a little more propensity for other problems as they develop. And I say that with kindness because I like a big horse.

2 Likes

I agree with that too! When I say big I believe he’s at 16.2 1/2 right now and the don’t expect him to get bigger then 17/17.1ish. So big, but not massive like some of them can get.

Thank you everyone for your kind words and advice! I’ve given my trainer information on what my options are regarding him and the baby and we’re going to chat and make a decision one way or the other. I appreciate all the opinions and information!

1 Like

He’s gorgeous…seriously…keep him or send him my way pls!

1 Like

Totally agree with the comment about the step in the hunters. I’ve got three horses right now. The horse that sticks the tallest (16.3hh) actually has the shortest step. The other gelding sticks at 16.2 1/2hh, but is a little bit longer and has a monster step, super scopey.
The 4yo mare (15.3hh) has a large step. It’s been a learning curve figuring her out, I always think I need more since she’s small, but she just floats down the lines.

The next thing to keep in mind is how all of that (combined with their jump) plays into the look in hunterland. Bigger is not always better.
My biggest guy has to be on a forward pace, a pace that can look too forward in good company, but jumps with his knees to his eyeballs every time.
Gelding with the big step doesn’t appreciate being packaged up and asked to whoa down a line. And only puts effort into a jump when it’s 3’3"+. The picture and the ride look better at 3’6", but that isn’t everyone’s cup of tea.
I’m predicting the mare will fall somewhere in the middle. I think she’ll have the scope and the step for 3’6", but if I want to lease her out to someone who only wants to jump 2’6"-3’ it will still look like she’s jumping, not just a big canter stride.

Moral of the story, if you think he has the step than I would hang on to him.

4 Likes

Thank you!

This is great info, thanks so much!

2 Likes

I stopped measuring my WB after 3.5 because I wanted to be in denial – if he is over 18h I don’t want to hear about it. He is So Big, much bigger than I thought he would get.

1 Like

If you’re really tall, especially in the torso (a wide back and big barrel can take up a lot of leg, but you don’t want your upper body to tower over the horse, as it can be a balance challenge for both of you —ask me how I know…), you might not suit this horse if he doesn’t grow a bit taller.

I’ll be the voice of pessimism. My WB homebred stopped growing at 2.5yo. He’s got a barrel but is very short coupled and now at 5, is still just 15hh, despite the fact that his dam is 15.3 and sire ~16.2.
I’m short enough to make it work, but he’s tough for me to stay balanced on, and I don’t think he’ll have the step to make a top.hunter. My dressage friends all love him, but that’s not what I enjoy doing.

So, if you’re not too emotionally attached to have to keep him forever, I’d be inclined to sell him. But, I wouldn’t get a foal and set yourself another 3 years behind. Instead, can you find a nice, taller 2-4yo that is mature enough to know what you’re getting into, and lets you still start riding on schedule. That’s what I would do.

1 Like

Am I the only one who thinks a 3 year old IS a baby??

18 Likes

My mare was about 15.3 at 2, she didn’t put a ton of height on in her 3 year old year maybe an inch or two? I don’t have many pics with me standing next to her for size reference so it’s hard to tell exactly. Between 3 and 4 she definitely got taller and lankier. Now she’s just turned six and I’m guessing pushing 17 hands and has filled out tremendously. She did string test to right around the 17 hand mark so that was fairly accurate for me. He looks like he has a lot of growing left to do. I’d probably keep him to avoid another 3 years of baby horse risk.

1 Like

Your 3 yo is lovely. I adore his neck connection! I’d keep the nice 3 yo over getting the foal too. Another vote that the 3 yo will grow. He’s still a baby! My gelding grew through his 7th year. He’s much bigger than he was as a 3 yo; height and width.

1 Like

My mare was around 16.2 when I got her as a 5 year old. I thought “Perfect! She will get to 16.3 and then I don’t have a giant horse.” I am tall, 5’10, with a tall torso, so I’ve always had huge horses, I wanted something more reasonable. She’s about 17.1 now as a 12 year old, and she’s a flipping HOUSE, wide with a long neck. She went from an 80" blanket to an 84"/86", When I bred her, I specifically picked a hony :joy:. The filly is about 15hh now as a 2 year old but string tests as 16.2.

That horse has a LOT of growing to do, mine was always balanced and beautiful, some horses just grow that way.

Keep the 3 year old. He is absolutely gorgeous, and too much can happen with horses, but especially babies.

I have half sisters.

As a yearling, one was 16.1hh. The other was 14.3 hh. Of course, it was the smaller one that I wanted to show in the futurities - and I was convinced she would be stunted because she was the same size as my western pleasure bred filly through their two year old year. (2017 filly, far left, 2016 half sister - next to her, 2017 WP filly middle)

Like. HUGE difference in growth.

Today - as a 4 and 5 year old? They’re basically the same size, both about 17hh. (2nd and 3rd from left - these are all the same mares as the first picture, just three years apart [and missing the bay who has since passed])

2 Likes

I did a trade with my old coach because her WB 3yr old was “too small”. He was 15.3 at the time. 2 years later at 5 he was 17.1 and massive :joy:

It actually wasn’t great for me because I’m very short as a teen and that was the whole reason I wanted a smaller horse. Ended being an awesome horse regardless.

Anyway. I agree he will grow like crazy. My TBs all grow a lot in the 5/6 year old year, and I think WBs grow more.

Thanks so much everyone I really appreciate the advice/info!

@ElementFarm. My torso is quite short actually which bodes well for me! When I was younger and lighter I had no issues riding ponies!

1 Like

Thanks again everyone for the helpful advice and insights. Met with my trainer for lunch and discussed everything and I decided that I’m going to keep him until at least the spring and re-evaluate where we are then. And if it’s meant to be that I end up with the new baby, he’ll still be available in the spring if I decide I want to do something different then!

7 Likes

I would bet you anything he ends up around 16.2 if he’s 15.2 now. Almost every 3 year old I’ve known has grown about a hand taller.

As far as height and size…I’m almost 5’8, have lost a bit of weight now but was just under 180 when I was actually riding, and have a 14.3 hand mare. She may be short, but she takes up my leg so well that I never feel big on her. And she never showed the slightest inclination that I was too much for her. So 15.2 is already almost a hand taller than what I have now :blush:

1 Like

Hey, I have one of this guys full brothers! Super happy with how my guy is developing so far if that’s helpful at all. This one is so cute that I checked my bank account when I saw his photos but I reallllly don’t need a second young horse. I vote you buy him and keep your 3 year old.

6 Likes

Thank you so much!

Sounds like a good option to wait a bit to decide. But I’ll also say if you know the cross of that foal, and there’s not another one in 2-3 years, and you noted you have horses to ride in the meantime, I wouldn’t think it’s that awful to sell the horse and buy the foal. You know two full siblings of the foal, right? If the price is right, and there will only be so many foals from that exact pairing, maybe this is a great chance to get yours. Time will tell, but this is definitely one of those first world problems. Your horse is lovely and the foal likely will be, too.

2 Likes