Unlimited access >

WWYD: a sheep has befriended my horses in a boarding situation >.< with photos!

Background: So the place I board at is a fairly low key, older facility. Has its ups and downs, but generally, I have felt it is safe, and frankly, it is the only thing I can afford in my area for stall board. Owners/managers are older, we boarders do a lot of our own care to help out. I have two mares, one retired, one that I do dressage with. The barn does some things I disagree with, and have poor pasture and arena management techniques, but there’s not much I can do to change it. My horses are doing fine under their care.

This began last week - a wandering sheep turned up at our barn. No idea where it came from, and no one has claimed it. Looks like she is a meat sheep, and had a tag at one point but has since had it ripped out (looks healed). She has so far been uncatchable, and resists any attempts to be touched.

However, she loves the horses. Particularly, my horses. She sleeps outside one of my mare’s stalls, and when they go out, she stays in their pasture and hangs out with them all day.

Here’s where the trouble begins: When they come in to their stalls for dinner (which is always earlier than I would like, they come in and are fed around 3:30pm), the sheep follows my mares in and goes right into one of their stalls. They seem fine with it - totally chill to let the sheep hang out underfoot or sleep in the corner with them while they eat their supper. Sheep relaxes and seems at peace with them. We have allowed the sheep to stay in with one of them for a few hours, but not very long.

I suggested putting up a stall guard to allow the sheep to leave when she’s ready from the stall. It’s only been a few days, but since they keep letting the sheep go into the stall with my horse, someone needs to make sure the sheep leaves before nighttime. A stall guard gives her an escape route if my horse decides she’s at her limit of tolerance, or if she lays down and there’s less room for the sheep. My horses don’t seem to have any limit to their tolerance - in fact seem fond of the sheep, and look for it when it wanders away. I have not had sourness issues yet - once my riding mare saw that the sheep had left her stall, we have been able to get in our normal training.

Barn owner is completely against the stall guard, doesn’t want my horses to bond with the sheep any more than they already have. I understand that, but then, why allow the sheep to stay? They find the sheep amusing to no end, and have said they don’t want to get rid of it, but can’t seem to decide how to manage it. Despite my protests to not liking the name, they have also named her Eunice. Ugh.

What would you do about the sheep? Allow it to stay with your horses? Use a stall guard to allow it to get out? Tell the barn owners to allow you to care for it, since it is hanging out with your horses? Get rid of it before your horse thinks it’s her foal? Is there such a thing as sheep sourness? Call animal control? How does one tame a grown sheep? Oy vey. :no:

tl;dr: Sheep has adopted my horses. What should I do about it?

Obligatory cute sheep/horse photos!

Are the barn owners (or you) prepared to pay somebody to shear the sheep when the time comes?

Personally, I would let the sheep stay because I adore sheep. But they do have their own set of care requirements. There are some sheep people on COTH so they will be able to provide more info.

Love the photo. How could you NOT keep the sheep?

So cute! I would keep Eunice and put up the stall guard so she can have free run. She is adorable and has clearly adopted your mares.

I have a pig living with three ponies in an in/out set up. They bicker occasionally but I also often find all four of them in one stall.

This is baa-d but I think ewe need to keep her! Don’t be sheepish and let the BO pull the wool over your eyes, this one’s for ewe! Now I’ll stop ram-bling about this before I get lamb-basted!

Let sleeping sheep hang out.

It’s adorable! And clearly your horses enjoy their newly earned pet. Lol.

I have 4 who live with/ mutually torment with my gelding. The biggest problem is that horse feed and salt blocks can be poisonous to sheep. Too much copper. So staying in the stall for more than short non-feeding periods may be a bad idea for the sheep.

I have had issues with clippers so I most often give up and shear my 4 (thankfully hair -based breed) sheep with my haircutting scissors! You could totally do the shearing yourself that way with just one sheep, if she will let you.

So consensus seems to be a stall guard would be safe? I personally don’t think my horses would test it, but the barn owner seems against it on principal.

All horse feed and salt blocks are up where the sheep can’t reach them, fortunately.

Well, hopefully we can tame her enough to touch her whenever she needs to be sheared!! One of the other boarders thought she looked like a Katahdin cross and may not need it.

My biggest worry, honestly, is that it will turn out she’s pregnant! Bit late in the season for that though, right?

I had a retired ram as a free range pet for a few years. He hung out with the dogs during the day, put himself into the barn at night when I brought the horses in. He liked to hang out on the patio with us and eat doritoes. If he and the mare get along I see no harm in them sharing a stall at night. Mine shipped from Ontario to Manitoba in a box stall with two weanlings. Just make sure he can’t get into the horse feed or mineral blocks - the copper levels that horses require are toxic to sheep.

I wish a sheep would wander to my farm! I want sheep but can’t rationally buy one…but if one just showed up, well problem solved. Then to have one magically show up that fits right in with the crew!

However, the only thing I remember about sheep from vet school is cooper sensitivity. Dangerous for them to eat horse grain so definitely figure out a way to separate them during feeding…and possibly even the horse stall completely if your horse is a messy eater and drops a lot of grain.

I like the name Eunice! Reminds me of the great Carol Burnett skit.

Food is a powerful taming tool with sheep. Start feeding a bit of an “all breed” for livestock to her and soon she’ll follow you everywhere (your name isn’t Mary is it? :lol:). She isn’t a Suffolk or common meat sheep–I agree she’s probably a Katahdin cross. Shearing is an art–and there are guys who will do it for small fee. Your local 4H or FFA type groups can put you in touch with a sheep shearer.

I’d buy a stall gate, a bit more security than just a stall guard. I can see your BOs objections with just that. Or maybe build one. Sheep are very group/flock oriented, and she is simply seeking a new flock and your horses are it.

Would you like it better if you spelled it Eweness? As in Her Royal Eweness? I think it’s an awesome name for a sheep actually.

I’m tired and must be missing something. Why does the sheep have to be able to leave the stall? I assume your horses are turned out during the day and brought in at night? Why couldn’t the sheep accompany them for the entire routine? Of course this is subject to change, if your horses end up resenting their new buddy. Does the sheep pick one of your horses, or is her stall choice random?

I used to have an adorable little donkey, but I found him a new home where he has a donkey friend. I don’t regret that at all, especially when I get pictures! But I have two young horses and I wish I had the donkey in with them so that I could take one of the horses and leave the remaining one with a buddy. That’s what I’d be thinking about if a sheep took up residence here.

Dying from sheep/horse cuteness!!! In regards to the stall guard, I had 2 of my horses and an evil pony just blow out of the stall guard. My other 2 civilized horses love the guard. They all respect the wire grill.

I’d let the sheep hang out, but I’m a sucker like that.

Maybe get a metal stall guard. Sheep is adorable, who couldn’t love it!

Perhaps a call to animal control to see if anyone is LOOKING for a LOST sheep?

She might be someone else’s pet.

Otherwise, I think a metal stall gate/guard might appease the BOs.

My question is… how do you handle the over abundance of cuteness?!? :slight_smile:

[QUOTE=Calvincrowe;8278668]
Food is a powerful taming tool with sheep. Start feeding a bit of an “all breed” for livestock to her and soon she’ll follow you everywhere (your name isn’t Mary is it? :lol:). She isn’t a Suffolk or common meat sheep–I agree she’s probably a Katahdin cross. Shearing is an art–and there are guys who will do it for small fee. Your local 4H or FFA type groups can put you in touch with a sheep shearer.

I’d buy a stall gate, a bit more security than just a stall guard. I can see your BOs objections with just that. Or maybe build one. Sheep are very group/flock oriented, and she is simply seeking a new flock and your horses are it.[/QUOTE]

Agreed…

Ask your BO if you can employ a mesh stall grill… The ones you see on the track - that way sheepie can go in and out but horse is secured in much more than a regular stall guard.

I get why your BO is against a stall guard… been there done that, every boarder and their mum thinks their precious pony won’t test the stall guard… but they also don’t have to deal with the unpent chaos that a loose horse inflicts on the barn when said pony tests the stall guard! Nothing worse than coming in at 5 AM in the morning to feed only to see Dobbin has the whole barn in an unholy row and hay and manure is everywhere and everyone’s blankets and halters have been pulled down…

We had two uncatchable sheep at the barn I managed (I made a thread about it here too)… They bonded with one horse and followed him around…like sheep… But honestly, they were harmless and amusing - they are nowhere on the scale of destructiveness as goats and honestly I think that they really offer security for most horses who are social.

Your problem is that it does not matter if we think a stall guard is fine. Your barn owners do not want one.

I do not see a real issue with Eunice hanging with your horse. That is a nice big stall.
If you can talk the barn owner into a stall guard or a metal half door that is probably the best of both worlds.

That’s either a hair sheep or someone has sheared it recently, I’d be on the horn trying to find the owners first.

Second, what’s the harm of it staying all night in the stall? She’s not going to get squished, sheep are pretty resilient that way, she’ll move.

Looks like a very cute friendship to me, loved the pictures! However, I don’t think that it is reasonable to push your BO to install a stall guard, metal/mesh or otherwise, if they have already said no. Better to pick your battles more wisely, and not to antagonize someone who has already made their position (which is a reasonable one) clear.

I think a more reasonable request would be for the barn not to allow the sheep into your horse’s stall at all if you have concerns about the sheep being in there all night. Though, I think it highly unlikely that there would be any problems from the sheep being in there with your horse all night if the two get along.

We have. So far, no one has reported missing anything. We also put out a call on our local chat list, and the only people who replied have been people wanting to eat her. :frowning:

I would definitely not mind keeping her! My horse seems fond of her, and like someone else said here, social horses like buddies. I just need my horse to be able to leave the sheep and work when asked, and not be sour about it.

Going to look up more sturdy/metal stall grills - I like that idea, just got to convince my barn owner. She is of the belief the sheep will get stepped on if she is staying in all night.