Unlimited access >

WWYD: Working the Neuro Horse (updated post #46)

Thank you!!!

1 Like

As an owner who put my guy down just about a year ago at NBCā€¦the scariest part was making the decision without 100% knowing it was EDM. I ā€œwhat if-edā€ myself and didnā€™t sleep over that decisionā€¦my biggest fear was not confirming it was EDMā€¦but waiting for the pathology and worrying it would come back inconclusive. That was probably the hardest medical decision I have ever had to make.

At least with my guy we did get closure from the patho reportsā€¦didnā€™t make losing him any easier, but it did remove the guilt of euthanizing a outwardly healthy looking 5 yo. I hope one day they are able to develop some type of diagnostic testing to make that process easier.

And for those mention vitamin Eā€¦my gelding had normal vitamin E levels and was raised as a foal/youngster on great pasture (and considered some of the best horse raising area in the country)ā€¦living out in a herd on great quality pasture from the time he was born. He had exactly the ideal upbringing at the breederā€™s farmā€¦and many, many healthy siblings. So we just donā€™t know enough about the triggers with EDM.

4 Likes

I have a 7 year old OTTB that I just had ā€œdiagnosedā€ back in October. So far he is living the good life in my pasture and feels fine. He had hind end issues along with explosive behavior that we wrote off for a few years as age related. He was to be my big girl event horse and is super athletic so when he was good he was amazing. He does act super bored and I have contemplated trying to ride him again but have not - but really just because heā€™s explosive not because of his ataxia. I would totally hack him down the road or in a ring - I would not jump him or go fast - if he could do so without being explosive and unpredictable. I think about it even with his ā€œblow upsā€ cause he looks so bored! Iā€™m so sorry about your diagnosis, it can be a bitter pill and hard to find others that can relate, especially since it seems relatively unknown and there is very little information.

1 Like

Iā€™m trying very hard to not be freaked out by that video. It was excellent.

And younger horse displays far too many of those EDM abnormalities/symptoms without a defined cause beyond ā€œheā€™s just like thatā€. I have ā€œfull neurological work upā€ at the top of my list if anything gets worseā€¦ Iā€™m trying to leave it there. :grimacing:

2 Likes

Youā€™re probably right. My horses both had Wobbler Syndrome so thatā€™s all I know. They certainly didnā€™t show any signs of discomfort and were otherwise healthy and active.

I also found the EDM video quite interesting.

1 Like

I always enjoy updates on what the OP ultimately decided/chose, even when theyā€™re not particularly positive, and so hereā€™s mine.

Someone who has since deleted their posts to the thread noted, with a certain amount of prescience, that a horse that had done the 1.30s and was now showing noticeable neuro symptoms over the timeline I provided was not likely to plateau.

That person (not naming out in order to respect their desire to delete their posts) was correct.

I put her down early this month. There were a lot of reasons and supporting evidence, but the core of it was that she wasnā€™t happy anymore; she was scared and confused and afraid all the time. And so she went on a sunny day with a belly full of carrots and clover and me at her head. May we all be so lucky.

Necropsy confirmed EDM.

She was the nicest horse Iā€™d ever sat on, and she will probably remain so, since I donā€™t see myself getting another warmblood. (To be fair, I didnā€™t want one in the first place, but I fell in love with her from afar and remained irredeemably so the moment I met her in person.)

Whereever you are, you glorious creature, you better be hopping paddock fences for giggles and eating plain cake donuts (never, never with crumb topping!) by the handful. Love your stupid face, Mare. Now and forever.

36 Likes

Sorry you had to make that decision.

I hope you find another horse that makes you smile

Thanks for the update

2 Likes

You are a wonderful human. Iā€™m sad for you.

5 Likes

Iā€™m so sorry. But what a lovely tribute to your mare.

5 Likes

So very sorry for you.

1 Like

Iā€™m sorry. You seem to be secure in your decision and your reasons sound appropriate. I hope you feel as well as you write about it. You were a good mom.

3 Likes

I am very sorry you had to make this loving decision. Consider that she gave you, your vets and we here more knowledge about this difficult condition.

4 Likes

I am so sorry.

It is SO HARD to put down a horse you connect with, but often it is the right thing to do for that horse.

So sad.

4 Likes