Unlimited access >

XC Course length change

Has anyone heard about a change in the length of the XC course for WEG?

an earlier article said there was a plan to be able to cut distance if weather conditions made the longer track problematic, is that what you are referencing?

I saw a blurb on Eventing Nation that the National Organizations would be told by August 10th what the course length was going to be due to some changes. I don’t think they would be making changes due to weather a month in advance.

I am guessing that maybe TIEC has not completed all of the course on schedule.

So basically it is not a case of the course is completed and wet, its that they don’t have the course done because of the rain this spring. Given TIEC’s track record of not getting things done on time, it sounds like a convenient excuse. I don’t trust anything TIEC says.

5 Likes

This is so lame. They had an exactly average amount of rain (in the last 10 years) in July, and actually an inch less than average if you go back 30 years. How could they have not planned for this? Ugh.

3 Likes

Last fall was exceedingly drier than normal. TIEC always promises big and then comes up short. Unless you are talking about how to separate people from their money.

6 Likes

Tryon has had above average rain this year every month except March and June. In May we had so much rain we had homes destroyed in mudslides in which one woman was killed. The county has never seen anything like that. This has not been a spring for doing earth work around here. The new local hardware store being built that was scheduled to open this summer will not open until fall because of rain delays. Rain delays are a reality.

From our local newspaper:
https://www.tryondailybulletin.com/2…-for-the-year/

In construction it is all about planning. When the Dulles Greenway Rd was being built back in 90’s, virginia went through one of its worst winters ever for snow. That project came out of that winter ahead of schedule. Why? Because they did as much earth work as possible before the winter just in case the weather was bad.

Leaving earthwork to the end of the schedule is just bad planning. Bad planning seems to be the hall mark of TIEC projects.

1 Like

What’s the closest real CCI*** course to Tryon? Any chance they could just move the XC?

It is ridiculous. Why are courses being built a month away for a major championship game. It should be there a year at least and established.

Now team riders will get screwed if they dont have a derby horse. Just the FEI getting its way to shorten eventing into solid Showjumping.

I wish it was left at Bromont.

1 Like

It’s an awfully convenient way to eliminate the xc part of eventing. Will be interesting ti see if the next olympics has a real course or just a derby course.

2 Likes

Well, FWIW, I attended the 1978 World Eventing Championships at the inauguration of the KHP. As everyone knows, it was a frickin’ disaster with regard to the toll the weather -in Kentucky in September - took on the horses. That’s why Rolex/Land Rover got moved to late April. I would think September in South Carolina would be pretty similar. I’ll be happy if someone says that’s not the case.

Now read this;

https://www.horseandhound.co.uk/news/weg-cross-country-length-risk-weather-hits-groundworks-660379

SO is the XC now being run on all weather footing and not actual ground? Even though they confirmed the turf is down…its just not up to par?

And Driving and Endurance are basically SOL

We had an extremely wet spring. You can’t move mud.
A lot of the turf is set and good. We are running PC champs tomorrow.
They are working around the clock. There is a section I’ve seen that could be unusable if we get a ton of rain. I imagine that is what the plan B, shorter course it about.
There was no other option, if you’ve forgotten. Bromont didn’t want it.
Stay home if you don’t want to come.

2 Likes

In the other thread posters said the rain fall was average this year.

No need to take it personally.

1 Like

Normal rainfall in July. Not Jan, Feb, March, April and May

Considering the story actually says the area is 20" below normal for the year, I’m not sure how it can have had above average every month. Those numbers don’t add up!

Direct quote from the article:
"By the end of June, Tryon had received 40.94 inches of rain for the year. July has added another 1.60 inches, putting the total for the year at 42.54 inches, according to the NWS. July has seen only light rain totals, with the most coming on July 5 at 0.81 inches.

The normal for the year is 61.77 inches, according to the NWS from 1981-2010."

So how can they be so behind schedule if the rain is below normal amounts??

http://eventingnation.com/fei-confirms-tryons-weg-course-will-run-full-5700-meters/

While I (obviously) do not speak from experience, my understanding is that a lot of CDEs in Europe are held on what could be considered by Americans to be a small venue. So when you put 50+ carriages out there and the teams go last… well let’s just say the footing is likely to be less than optimal. For sure in the hazards, but Exloo had all the teams circling/recircling a pretty small track for Section B and heading into the hazards, back out again for a 1 km loop, wash, rinse, repeat. A friend of mine commented it looked like hazards in the middle of a roundabout.

Suffice to say 16 hooves + 4 wheels can do some quality damage to footing, so of all the distance competitors, driving may be the least adversely impacted. Except for the part about getting every last trace of GGT footing off your presentation vehicle between dressage and cones. The last time I was in wet GGT footing was May and I swear, I am STILL finding traces of it on my carriage (dries to a powder white)

1 Like