Unlimited access >

XC Courses and Instructors Near Madison,WI?

So I grew up near Waukesha (for those of you familiar with eastern Wisconsin) and I am now in Madison. It’s not exactly economical to go all the way into the Waukesha area for lessons (even without my horse).

Anyone know of some good instructors in my area? And some xc courses that I could introduce my horse to come spring/summer next year?

I probably won’t have access to a trailer until next year, so would need an instructor with lesson horses.

[QUOTE=Sempiternal;6595410]
So I grew up near Waukesha (for those of you familiar with eastern Wisconsin) and I am now in Madison. It’s not exactly economical to go all the way into the Waukesha area for lessons (even without my horse).

Anyone know of some good instructors in my area? And some xc courses that I could introduce my horse to come spring/summer next year?

I probably won’t have access to a trailer until next year, so would need an instructor with lesson horses.[/QUOTE]

I know Brad Hall goes up to Madison for some students a couple times a month. I could get his phone number for you if you want it.

[QUOTE=MorganJumper848;6595895]
I know Brad Hall goes up to Madison for some students a couple times a month. I could get his phone number for you if you want it.[/QUOTE]

That would be wonderful!

815-777-2034

He is located in IL so he doesn’t come up to Wisconsin all of the time but would be a good resource for a couple of lessons a month.

Clare VanderWoude is excellent as well, her website is

http://eventtek.weebly.com/

Thank you!

[QUOTE=Sempiternal;6597186]
Thank you![/QUOTE]

If you don’t mind me asking… Do you know of any good places to board in near Madison? I am thinking about applying for college there this fall. I don’t want to go somewhere that doesn’t have many boarding options.

There are quite a few in varying price ranges. Most are about 10 - 20 minutes outside of Madison, or at least from what I can tell. What is your limit for how much you can spend on board?

I’m boarding with my mother’s friend and before that I lived in a town just outside of Madison and was boarding just a few minutes away.

Some others may be able to give some input too, as I’m not super familiar with all the horsey places in the area.

I’ve worked with both Brad (who does come pretty regularly to a few different Madison area barns) and Clare. Love them both.
I am happy to PM anyone about these two and a few others.

As far as boarding goes- it’s limited out here. Places with XC jumps (not really full courses) and that are decent to board at are:
-Carriage Ridge (technically in Waunakee)
-Judd’s Green Meadows (Belleville)
-Saddle Ridge (Belleville/Paoli)

Other nice places sans XC:
-Mandt Equestrain Center (Oregon)
-Bristol Equine Estates (Sun Prairie)
-Timeless Farm (Arena-more H/J)
-Hickory Knoll (Fitchburg)

That’s all I can think of at the moment. All of the above barns are a 20-40 minute drive from downtown depending on time/weather/etc.

Years ago there where 2 events outside of Madison. Hoofbeat Ridge and Hungry Horse if my memory is correct. I think Hoofbeat Ridge was in Verona, outside of Madison. Morgan Jumper, perhaps those farms still exist in some form or another for boarding.

Thistledowns stables also comes to mind for the Madison area, any other old timers remember these? If the farms are still around you might find some good boarding. They had lovely large rolling hills, etc. for lots of hacking.

I don’t know specifics, but know my friend is there and has a young Irish horse that she is working on getting into eventing with. You might try contacting her http://www.annalisesimsek.com

[QUOTE=Brigitte;6598277]
Years ago there where 2 events outside of Madison. Hoofbeat Ridge and Hungry Horse if my memory is correct. I think Hoofbeat Ridge was in Verona, outside of Madison. Morgan Jumper, perhaps those farms still exist in some form or another for boarding.

Thistledowns stables also comes to mind for the Madison area, any other old timers remember these? If the farms are still around you might find some good boarding. They had lovely large rolling hills, etc. for lots of hacking.[/QUOTE]

Hoofbeat is just a girls camp now, no boarders. I don’t think Thistledowns exists anymore.

[QUOTE=Sempiternal;6595410]

I probably won’t have access to a trailer until next year, so would need an instructor with lesson horses.[/QUOTE]

Brad does clinics at Saddle Ridge (in Belleville) pretty frequently, Clare teaches at many of the boarding barns in the area and (I think) will probably come to you. Cathy Jones-Forsberg comes to the area a few times a year for clinics and is EXCELLENT. She was just here this weekend, and will be back December 15th next. Other than that, it’s pretty slim pickings around here for event trainers… feel free to PM me if you want more area info on boarding/lessons/trainers!

What in the zombie thread…