Unlimited access >

Xolair (drug)- has anyone tried it?

I have severe food allergies and my doctor mentioned possibly trying this drug. The side effects make it sound terrible, but I have already had anaphylaxis once (did not take my EpiPen because I did not want to go to the hospital. In hindsight that was a bad idea).

I’m wondering if it’s worth trying this drug. It would be a huge relief to not have to worry about everything I eat or possible contamination.

I’m allergic to all mammal meat, milk, lobster, shrimp, oats, and sesame… Safe foods are chicken, turkey, egg, fish, and fruits/vegetables and grains.

1 Like

I just looked it up as I have food and other allergies and I was dismayed to see that there is a warning to use with caution if you have a latex allergy because the needle cap contains latex. I have latex allergy so I guess that lets me out. I’m amazed they’d use latex for a medication designed for allergy patients, it’s a fairly common allergy.
Anyways, if you try it I hope you report back with the results. Food allergies suck. I can’t have soy and soy is in just about everything these days.

2 Likes

this is one of the contraindications

• An unusual or allergic reaction to omalizumab, hamster proteins, latex, other medications, foods, dyes, or preservatives

you may wish to get more clarity what the aim of using this antibody is.

2 Likes

What are hamster proteins???

2 Likes

I just looked it up as I was curious. The answer I got was Zolair is grown or made in Chinese hamster ovaries and that’s where the protein come from. Not sure if that’s a type of hamster or if it’s grown in China, it didn’t specify.

1 Like

I thought one of the biologics for RA was made from hamster proteins–maybe Remicade? It was one of the early biologics. I had a horrible allergic reaction to it.

Rebecca

3 Likes

Thank you!

1 Like

Remicade is mouse proteins.

3 Likes

Thanks. My husband thought I would exhibit rodent symptoms when I was on it (he thinks he’s funny). Unfortunately, the allergic reaction came on fast, just as it was starting to work.

Rebecca

2 Likes

CHO cells Chinese Hamster ovary cells, single cells derived from the ovary of the Chinese hamster, Cricetulus griseus This is not your pet hamster

They are not a “Chinese product”. They are immortal cells and are cultured to derive human antibody clones. When growing these antibody clones there is a process of refining them to remove more and more of the hamster cell proteins and replacing them with human clone variants ( to keep it a basic explanation) this antibody probably has a certain remnant level of hamster proteins. The company I retired from generated antibodies as part of its drug compound. The CHO campaigns to get the most pure and most effective antibody were long and heavily detailed. They had a pretty low tolerance for antibodies that had too many non-human “snips” in them as RMJacobs mentions re her reaction

Most antibody production is based on CHO cell culture and production. The CHO cell is a culture tool

2 Likes

@hoopoe - Thank you…and thank you for the clarification “not your pet hamster”! As you can tell, I know nothing about this.

Thank you. That is very helpful. I’m not sure how long it will take to get approval for the drug, as I’m currently waiting on the insurance to get it pre-authorized.

My stomach issues have been worse than ever so in the meantime I’m trying oral cromolyn sodium.

Interesting. I used that way back in the 80s. It was for allergic nasal use and I had to snort it. Now there is a nasal spray.

I take Xolair. It was getting exceedingly expensive and I needed 2 shots for every two weeks, so I applied and was accepted into the Genentech Patient Foundation. It makes acquiring the shots a bit more tedious, but worth it to have them for free.

I use them for chronic hives and asthma. I have uncontrolled allergies to basically everything outside, that have expanded to most fruits and uncooked vegetables. I have not tried eating anything I am allergic to since trying the Xolair, but I was never allergic to the point of anaphylaxis, I was just very, very sick. I think that I have seen an improvement in my breathing since I started the shots.

Should you start taking them, I recommend at home administration. I thought it would be impossible to give myself a shot, but it’s not terrible. So far I have not experienced any major side effects.

1 Like

I’m still waiting on insurance to approve it… But thank you.