Unlimited access >

xxxxxxxxxxx

I only said smack him because in the OP’s post she said he had never been careful with the jumps. From the information she gave us, it sound to me as he went from never being careful to just willfully ignoring the jumps. I rode a lesson horse when I first started jumping that would literally plow through the jumps under a certain height because he didn’t feel like they needed his jumping effort. You had to work hard to get him to jump anything small.

And for the record, I never said anything on beating him. Smacking him once with a crop to make him aware that he ignored your aids when asking him to jump is all I meant.

OP’s first post ever. Deletes original post and never returns. I smell troll.

Once again it’s time for a reminder to quote anything from unknown posters you reply to so we don’t have to reconstruct the original topic to continue the discussion.

Seems every six months or so we get a number of one post wonders, they go away quicker when they cannot erase the evidence.

[QUOTE=thehorsedream;8487835]
I only said smack him because in the OP’s post she said he had never been careful with the jumps. From the information she gave us, it sound to me as he went from never being careful to just willfully ignoring the jumps. I rode a lesson horse when I first started jumping that would literally plow through the jumps under a certain height because he didn’t feel like they needed his jumping effort. You had to work hard to get him to jump anything small.

And for the record, I never said anything on beating him. Smacking him once with a crop to make him aware that he ignored your aids when asking him to jump is all I meant.[/QUOTE]

That’s still not really going to accomplish much in the long run. Much better to sort out why the horse is having trouble in the first place and lay a correct foundation than hope that they’ll connect being walloped with hitting a fence. They just don’t reason like that.

[QUOTE=ladyj79;8487704]
I know a nations cup horse who started having rails with a top rider. Who started beating the crap out of him. Then the horse started stopping, then he’d beat the crap out of him. Then he started rearing and throwing himself on the ground. He’s now been passed on to another rider who is trying to reschool and undo the psychological damage. I don’t recommend the start smacking him method. Not a lot of horses are going to improve or even tolerate that.[/QUOTE]

What an idiot. And what a shame. Just because you can jump around a Nations Cup doesn’t mean you have class or ought to be allowed near a horse. :frowning:

And I can lodge a few guesses who this might be, sadly. It is a real shame there are a couple of options that come to mind.

[QUOTE=PonyPenny;8487838]
OP’s first post ever. Deletes original post and never returns. I smell troll.[/QUOTE]

Nah. I smell kid. :slight_smile:

[QUOTE=PonyPenny;8487838]
OP’s first post ever. Deletes original post and never returns. I smell troll.[/QUOTE]

I smell someone that was looking for help and couldn’t handle the answers that were coming her/his way… it can feel like an attack!

I think most of the posters here answered in a helpful way but I know from reading years of posts some can be super nasty.

[QUOTE=findeight;8487856]
Once again it’s time for a reminder to quote anything from unknown posters you reply to so we don’t have to reconstruct the original topic to continue the discussion.

Seems every six months or so we get a number of one post wonders, they go away quicker when they cannot erase the evidence.[/QUOTE]

NoSuchPerson did post the original post.

[QUOTE=NoSuchPerson;8487898]
Nah. I smell kid. :)[/QUOTE]

Yup, circa 1996 I should think. Unsuitable horse for the job or needs expensive vet care, training or more sophisticated riding is generally not the advice people want to hear.

But the advice to just smack a horse around if it’s always had trouble clearing jumps is probably more fertile ground for a train wreck then anything OP might have offered.

[QUOTE=Goldie locks;8487910]
NoSuchPerson did post the original post.[/QUOTE]

Indeed she did, my bad, was thinking it would have been longer but I rarely delete anything and it’s still a good reminder.

Folks, we have had a sudden influx of “rank beginners” asking stupid questions recently and I think that someone is playing a game of stick poking.

[QUOTE=enjoytheride;8488157]
Folks, we have had a sudden influx of “rank beginners” asking stupid questions recently and I think that someone is playing a game of stick poking.[/QUOTE]

Yes. We have had a veritable flood of first-time posters, mostly asking crazy questions. I expect this over Christmas vacation, but this seems an odd time of year for it. Snow days?

And for the record, I never said anything on beating him. Smacking him once with a crop to make him aware that he ignored your aids when asking him to jump is all I meant.[/QUOTE]

:no::no::no::no::no::no::no::no::no::no:

This is not what you do. This is not how horses think or learn over fences. This is not how you teach a horse to jump properly. The end.

[QUOTE=NoSuchPerson;8488258]
Yes. We have had a veritable flood of first-time posters, mostly asking crazy questions. I expect this over Christmas vacation, but this seems an odd time of year for it. Snow days?[/QUOTE]

Maybe. At least, if any good is to come of it, trainwrecks are good to sit down with a hot cup of cocoa and read. They can be quite entertaining.

[QUOTE=grandprixer;8489021]
Maybe. At least, if any good is to come of it, trainwrecks are good to sit down with a hot cup of cocoa and read. They can be quite entertaining.[/QUOTE]

True.

Also, in a way, the nature/value of the original post can be entirely irrelevant. Lots of people read the discussions and find value in the conversation even when the post that launched the discussion is a little wacky.

I found it most interesting and telling that the horse jumped well in lessons.

Hmmm! Whyzat?

I took a moment to look at your blog and I see that you are planning to jump your horse.
You and your horse will be very unhappy if you employ the type of training that you describe above. You are working without a trainer, and you seem to be in a little over your head in both the training and management of your horse.

Keep on reading books, and I would strongly suggest that you don’t jump until you can find someone knowledgeable to help you. Good luck!

Thank you for looking at my blog. I understand that you do not train a horse through punishing them for the wrong thing. As i said in my response, the way I read the op’s post was the horse was disrespecting aids. In that situation I would advocate making sure the horse is listening to you ie a spank with a crop. I know that not everyone agrees with me and I understand that.

I am hoping to get help from a trainer but money is a factor. I definitely plan on reading as many books as possible so that I can be a better rider and trainer.

Books help with theory and knowledge don’t help you become a better rider and trainer without experienced eyes on the ground. An inexperienced person working on their own is a recipe for disaster and you could injure yourself and do permanent mental harm to your horse. If you can’t get you and you horse to a lesson get you to a lesson. If there isn’t a budget for lessons a couple times a month there isn’t money for horses.

[QUOTE=thehorsedream;8490060]
Thank you for looking at my blog. I understand that you do not train a horse through punishing them for the wrong thing. As i said in my response, the way I read the op’s post was the horse was disrespecting aids. In that situation I would advocate making sure the horse is listening to you ie a spank with a crop. I know that not everyone agrees with me and I understand that.

I am hoping to get help from a trainer but money is a factor. I definitely plan on reading as many books as possible so that I can be a better rider and trainer.[/QUOTE]

I do understand that money is a factor for you. This is a problem, because you really do need more education before attempting to teach your horse anything about jumping.
I encouraged you to keep reading books since you can’t afford instruction at this time. However, reading is not a substitute for lessons or training and you cannot learn how to train a horse from a book.

A book is a supplement,an adjunct to proper instruction by a qualified person who is on the ground and watching you ride.

You certainly cannot learn to ride or “train” a horse by reading a book. It really doesn’t work that way.
I know that the idea is sold to many people that they can “learn to be a horse trainer” or “learn to ride” by buying this book, or that series of DVDs.

It doesn’t work that way and anyone who tells you that it does, is only trying to make a buck.

Please, study hard but do not try to jump your horse without instruction. When you have solved every problem you are having with your horse on the flat (and it seems that you are having many) then you might think about finding someone to help you learn how to train you and your horse to jump.

If you take it slowly and realize that training horses is just not that easy, you will save yourself and your horse much pain and aggravation.

Especially since your horse is 18 yrs old, you really need someone knowledgeable to look at him. His spookiness may be the result of lack of exercise or from pain, and you need the advice of someone who knows the difference.

It’s always good to read during the winter if you aren’t able to ride much.There is much to be learned from books about stable management, grooming, and the health and feeding of horses, so read whatever you can find on the subject. There is plenty to learn!