Unlimited access >

xxxxxxxxxxx

I thank everyone for their caution. I may come off as some what of a greenhorn. However, my horse and I did have years of lessons when I first owned him so I’m confident that we can make it. I’ve been steadily working on issues that cropped up in the last six years of not owning him. The winter is cutting into riding so I’m doing what I can in the meantime.

Its not just budget but ability to get to a trainer. I can afford a lesson every once in a while but I don’t have access to a trainer at my barn. Once the weather stables out, I’m going to look into getting a trainer to come out to my barn to give me lessons every once in a while.

And just since its concerning people, my horse was started over fences several years ago by my trainer when I was doing lessons. We aren’t starting off green so I think we will be okay if I take the proper steps. (trotting poles, trotting jumps, working on flat work between poles etc) I’m glad that the COTH members are so concerned about everyone’s safety. I’m definitely going to work slow and steady. Mostly I’m just enjoying the ride and loving my horse.

[QUOTE=thehorsedream;8490151]
I thank everyone for their caution. I may come off as some what of a greenhorn. However, my horse and I did have years of lessons when I first owned him so I’m confident that we can make it. I’ve been steadily working on issues that cropped up in the last six years of not owning him. The winter is cutting into riding so I’m doing what I can in the meantime.

Its not just budget but ability to get to a trainer. I can afford a lesson every once in a while but I don’t have access to a trainer at my barn. Once the weather stables out, I’m going to look into getting a trainer to come out to my barn to give me lessons every once in a while.

And just since its concerning people, my horse was started over fences several years ago by my trainer when I was doing lessons. We aren’t starting off green so I think we will be okay if I take the proper steps. (trotting poles, trotting jumps, working on flat work between poles etc) I’m glad that the COTH members are so concerned about everyone’s safety. I’m definitely going to work slow and steady. Mostly I’m just enjoying the ride and loving my horse.[/QUOTE]

It’s great that you say that you are enjoying the ride, however you mention repeatedly in your blog that you are “annoyed” by your horse’s behavior.

The reason I am concerned about your horse is that

#1. You gave some really bad advice earlier on this thread (hit the horse when it crashes through jumps) and you still don’t seem to understand how wrong you are.

and

#2 You say that your horse was “started over fences several years ago” so you aren’t “starting off green”.

You and your horse are very green. Your blog makes that clear. I think most COTH members are concerned about your horse’s well being. I am, because you have given very bad advice to a poster on this forum and you don’t seem to understand that, even after it was brought to your attention.

I hope you will consider the fact that you may need help when it comes to jumping. For your horse’s sake.

Some horses do not have the conformation to easily jump. Shoulder and hip angles are not as easy to evaluate as, say, crooked legs. Plus, the same angles that make a horse a superior performer in one discipline prevent the same horse from being successful in another. Think of the WP horse bred for small, soft steps. The Reiner built to sink down into sliding stops and spins. The Dressage horse breed for suspension and elevation in the gaits. Put any of these to fences and they just don’t do well and may not even try. Owners may not realize their beloved horse just does not have the physical build to jump.

Subtle pain from joints, suspensories, navicular, questionable farrier care, SI, back trouble, previous injuries and assorted conditions like Lyme and EPM can also make a horse unwilling or unable to perform. But they look OK, don’t obviously limp or anything. So people keep making them, even trainers who need income from them as schoolies and client horses and owners who do not want to spend or cannot afford to spend on vet care.

Thats why why the advice to make the horse go anyway, let alone hit it to get it to go, given over the Internet to an unseen horse and rider? Is basically unacceptable to knowledgeable horsemen.

Id take it easy on an (at least if you don’t know foaling date) 18 year old horse too. That is considered geriatric and most start having special needs around late teens. Any problems in riding them are generally due to age issues far more then training or attitude, need to look there first before assuming it can be trained or ridden out or deserves a smack.

Thehorsedream, please understand that most people here want to help.
I hope you realize that I am not trying to be “mean” to you. No one knows it all, but many of us have been around for a long time (we’re old) have a lot of experience and we know where you may run into trouble.

Too often, people who ride horses are averse to admitting that they don’t know it all. I don’t know what it is about horses that seems to bring out this flaw in human nature, but it is a real problem and horses suffer because of human ego.

There is no end to learning as far as horses are concerned. If you love horses you will want to do your best for them.

Ask questions! There are plenty of people here who can share their knowledge with you. Of course you must take what advice you are given on the internet with a grain of salt, because there are people who will give advice when they are not qualified to do so, as you did earlier in this thread.
COTH has some very qualified people that participate in these forums. There is much to learn.

[QUOTE=skydy;8491575]
Thehorsedream, please understand that most people here want to help.
I hope you realize that I am not trying to be “mean” to you. No one knows it all, but many of us have been around for a long time (we’re old) have a lot of experience and we know where you may run into trouble.

Too often, people who ride horses are averse to admitting that they don’t know it all. I don’t know what it is about horses that seems to bring out this flaw in human nature, but it is a real problem and horses suffer because of human ego.

There is no end to learning as far as horses are concerned. If you love horses you will want to do your best for them.

Ask questions! There are plenty of people here who can share their knowledge with you. Of course you must take what advice you are given on the internet with a grain of salt, because there are people who will give advice when they are not qualified to do so, as you did earlier in this thread.
COTH has some very qualified people that participate in these forums. There is much to learn.[/QUOTE]

I totally understand that you aren’t being mean. Its a forum over the internet. I take everything lightly as its really easy to misinterpret things in writing and without knowing the whole situation.

When I’m saying I’m annoyed with my horse in my blog, I’m annoyed because things he is doing we got over when I first owned him. I’m annoyed more with the situation because I feel like he has learned bad habits from the owner he had the last six years.

I’m absolutely aware that I don’t know much. I’m learning and I definitely joined this forum because it kept coming up with the most stable advice when I looked for help through google.

I hope you aren’t taking it as I’m not admitting I’m wrong. I don’t believe I am as wrong as everyone reacted but I can see everyone’s points. And that’s the point correct? The forums are here for advice from many different people and you open yourself up to learning things from people who have had different backgrounds.

I think the crop can still be a useful tool, even when jumping. But I have seen that a vet check and figuring out if the horse is hurt is a good thing too. I’m learning every time I read a thread here.

And trust me, I do plan on getting a trainer’s help if I play around with much more than a single jump or low trotting rails.

You are right… being open to education is huge. Knowing what is correct and what is bull is sometimes difficult though, especially when asking for advice online.
You have a much better chance of learning properly from some people on this forum than you do elsewhere, however as kind as folks are here, they do not suffer fools gladly.
I’m glad that you are keeping an open mind.

Have fun with your horse!.. It is nice that you were able to bring him home to you. :yes: