Unlimited access >

YAAAAAY going live MONDAY!

SO EXCITING!

Here’s the message, if you’ve not seen it yet :smiley: :yes:

YAAAAY!

Forums Update is Coming on MONDAY!

At long last, the Forums update we’ve been talking about for months is going LIVE! This Sunday 11/8, the site will be taken offline, and if all goes well, the new version of the site will be rolled out on Monday morning.

Please remember a few things:

1. This update to a new platform was necessary for the stability and security of the site. vBulletin, which we’ve been using forever, was no longer serving our needs and we’d been limping along and patching it up for years.

2. Your current log-ins should transfer right over to the new site, and the universal log-in system, which accepts either your email or your username along with your password, should be functional again.

3. We will still be making changes after we go live. There are still a few customizations that the developers are going to be working on implementing, like getting the “original poster” designation on subsequent posts in a thread. We haven’t had Forums advertising running since the summer, and we have to get things back up and running to pay the bills!

4. We will be able to change things in response to feedback, so please be patient with us as we triage our needs and wants after it goes live.

5. Please try not to panic, give up or get hostile if things are initially unfamiliar or confusing. The site will look and work a little differently than we’re used to. It’s OK if you don’t know where to find things or how to do things right off the bat. We’ve been pretty much clicking the same buttons for around 20 years, so it will take a little time for all of us to familiarize ourselves.

It’s OK to make “mistakes” and ask for help! Play around with the new toys, experiment with how things work, tweak your personal user settings to make the new site work for you. There are some cool options to customize what you see on the site, so don’t be afraid to experiment and see what you like.

The developers and volunteer beta testers, who we owe an ENORMOUS thank you to, have put a ton of work into getting the new site to where it is now, and we’ll continue to listen to feedback to help make the site work for your needs as best as we can.

Thank you for making this community what it is, and we hope this update will provide a platform for it to continue to thrive in the years to come.

Excellent. :slight_smile:

@Simkie you know, simkie et al, it will be time to buckle up our seatbelts and get ready for a potentially bumpy road but yup

YAY!!

Question…
My email associated with this account is no longer active or accessible. I tried to update it just now, but the system would not let me. Will I still be able to login to new site with just username/password, or old (defunct) email and password?

Will my saved messages transfer, or be lost? Current subscriptions?

I’ve been around since the infopop (infopoop?!) days, so I can roll with new changes and navigation blips. But it was nice that a lot of old info transferred over in the initial v-bulletin change. :slight_smile:

send all your current contact info to the moderator so that they have it before the switch… afterwards, you might need to set up a n new account

Your email or username will work in conjunction with your password, and you shouldn’t even need to have access to your email to use it as a log-in. If you’d like to send me your info via PM or email to admin1@chronicleforums.com, I’d be happy to update it for you in advance.

Your PMs will transfer, though I don’t think any special mailboxes you may have sorted them into will carry over to the new site. I’m 95% sure subscriptions will not transfer, so if there are ones you’re afraid of not remembering to re-follow, you could pull up a list of your current subscribed threads and screenshot or print it out for reference.

Thanks!

3 Likes