Unlimited access >

YEH - Young Event Horse 2016 questions about qualifying/riders/ammy friendly?

Who has competed in the YEH as an amateur/not ///*** rider? After looking at the amount of serious upper level riders that competed through 2015, it seems like my horse is the long shot. I certainly think that he has the ability and talent to be competitive, and I will have my professional trainer riding… but will we get over looked if she is not a highly recognized name? Or do the judges really fairly judge the horse for it’s potential? I certainly have taken my horse’s career seriously, and purchased him from the breeder and have had YEH in my mind since I bought him last year. Now that show season is approaching, and more is circulating about YEH I have been investigating further and am wonder if the competition is really “Amateur” friendly (as in not a **** rider).

Another question… IF my horse competes and does qualify, can I choose a different rider for the championships? If we move along the show season and we qualified once, but I feel like I need I more recognized rider at that point, can I switch and the previous qualifying score count? I do have the guidance and ability to make the switch to a higher profile rider, but part of me REALLY hopes that my horse is what counts, not the name that rides him. My trainer is REALLY awesome and can pull out amazing things from him. That partnership is what I want to see succeed!

In my experience, the judges try really hard to fairly evaluate the horses as they see them that day. I’m not a big name by any means, but my horse was scored very appropriately at the two YEH-5 that we did. I’ve attended the FEH/YEH seminars in Ocala for the past 3 years. They repeatedly stress that judges are to look for the best possible moments and score the horse at his best. It’s not judged like a true “dressage test” or hunter round-- minor errors are excusable, if the horse shows enough quality. Baby horses doing baby horse things are not heavily penalized.

Where “four star riders” seemingly have an edge is that they are able to ride the horse well enough to show it at its best. They allow the horse to show off its gaits, to help it be balanced, and give it confidence. It doesn’t take a four-star rider to do that-- anyone good with green horses could ride the horse well enough, it need not be a big name rider. However, a less experienced rider who gets nervous and tense in a competition environment, perhaps holding too tightly on the horse’s mouth or gripping with the legs, can cause the horse to brace its jaw or lock its back, thus interfering with the natural rhythm and elasticity of the gaits. A rider who consistently misses distances in the jumping portion will affect the score because the judges want to see a horse who jumps confidently out of stride. It does NOT need to be a big name riding the horse, just someone competent who knows how to bring out the best in that horse.

As for pros riding in the Championships, yes that is quite common. Only horses need to qualify, it does not need to be the same horse/rider combination.

Thanks - that helps a lot :slight_smile: my trainer certainly brings out the best in my horse and their partnership is so great to watch. I do supplement our training with someone who has climbed the eventing levels, and we will have her coaching throughout the season. I just wasn’t sure if the lack of unrecognized names riding in the YEH classes meant it wasn’t really an event meant for everyone.

good to know that the riders can change during the season

I have both ridden my own and had a pro ride them. I qualified both horses, but chose my trainer to ride one at the finals because I felt that she would show the mare to her potential, which I couldn’t. The other mare I rode myself to have fun and to do it. I did not expect her to place highly, she didn’t , but we both enjoyed it and it was cool to X be up there on my homebred next to all the big names…