Unlimited access >

You Might be an Equestrian If

You contemplate the $695 dressage saddle at the consignment tack shop as a seriously viable impulse purchase, but consider the same for a new sofa “too much”. So your living room continues to be graced by the 20yo relic ( complete with decorative cat scratches) from the days Restoration Hardware was actually somewhat affordable for normal people. You choke at the idea of spending $50 on a winter coat for yourself, yet are lovingly scouring websites for $550 blanket “systems” for a 1000 lbs animal to roll in mud in.

Let’s hear yours!

24 Likes

Yesterday there were no mesh rugs at the car boot saddlery sale. I went to aTack store and paid $198 for 2 x mesh rugs for 2 horses.

With me was the padded shirt jacket I bought from work for $9.95.

9 Likes

Yes, my horse ate the best, was dressed the best, etc etc. Me - not so much. The zillion dollar vet visit - didn’t even make me blink. The $10 co-pay for my doctor office - whine whine whine. Refused to go to doctor because of it.

And today - once again - i spent more money on pet food and supplies than I did for my own food and supplies.

7 Likes

I’ll eat whatever garbage I have in the kitchen for dinner (popcorn, cereal, nabs, questionable leftovers) while spending an hour reading the ingredient list on every treat SmartPak offers to make sure I get ones that are suitable for Mr. Horse’s health and enjoyment requirements!

12 Likes

I can agree with all of these! Miss mare gets the best of everything I can do for her. Best vets, best farrier, best feed, new blankies. While me? I’m in cheap WalMart sweats and tshirts that have been handed down from my boys. I need some “doctoring” in the worst way, will I go? No. It’s too expensive. But a vet visit for the same $$? No problem.
Now that said, I don’t obsess over every little thing but I darned sure put my pets needs ahead of my own.

4 Likes

Priorities!
I was skating on thin ice as this month ended :crazy_face:
Then a check hit the bank a day early.
Do I restock the bare fridge?
Nope.
Instead, TSC gets a good chunk of $$ for Necessary (shavings) & Frippery (treats).
They eat (& get treats) before I do.
& I would not want it any other way :smirk:

10 Likes

Someone notices animal hair on your clothing and asks if you have a cat. Your response is to study it while carefully considering…dog? cat? horse? goat? cow? donkey? rabbit?..no, wait! That’s my hair!

23 Likes

Stocked up on Ponysaurus supplies last weekend. He is set.

This weekend I need to buy propane for the house and schedule service for the truck…instead I researched the best dog DNA panels for the “Carolina Road Dog” we picked up several years ago.

4 Likes

I took on an overload at work this semester so I could send my “kid to camp” (as in the 3yo gelding goes off to the trainer to get started under saddle)…he is having way more fun at camp than I am doing a ton of extra work!! LOL

7 Likes

Spend $100+ on riding pants, spend $15 on dress pants for work.

10 Likes

Where in the sam hill are you finding $15 dress pants?! :laughing:

6 Likes

Thredup! Thrifting for those who would rather spend their time shopping for horse stuff haha

9 Likes

You find out that what you thought was normal wear and tear on your body is actually psoriatic arthritis…then debate whether or not to spend money on your own meds since the pony’s annual hock injections should be coming up soon.

6 Likes

My horse had a massage and PEMF treatments last week. Meanwhile, my back is killing me, I have pain in my knee but horsey is feeling great!

6 Likes

You might be a cranky older equestrian if the phrase ‘horse showing’ is annoying. I’ve always said ‘going to horse shows’ vs. ‘going horse showing’ or ‘horse shows are so stinking expensive’ vs ‘horse showing is so stinking expensive.’ I have OFTEN said “I love horse shows” but I have never thought about saying “I just love horse showing!”

Is it me? Is it my age? Anyone else think it just sounds weird?

12 Likes

Thought about joining a Pilates club for $100/month.

Decided not to because it’s too expensive.

This means I’m saving $100/mo and can do extra lessons instead!

7 Likes

I agree. But I think it is fine without the “horse”. “I am showing this weekend” sounds fine, but “I am horse showing this weekend” sounds silly.

10 Likes

—-if you spend a few thousand dollars a year to give your 26 year old horse, with a plethora of health issues, a quality life and figured out how to cut your own hair on you tube🤯

15 Likes

Or if you once paid for a beloved 35 year old pony to have acupuncture treatments to improve his quality of life while neglecting your own health.

7 Likes

Etransfers farrier, while waiting for glue to set on replacement soles for own shoes.

10 Likes