Unlimited access >

Your advice regarding saddles please?

I’d love to hear which are your favorite saddles for jumping (in the higher end models). I recently purchased an Antares saddle, new, customized to my 17.2 hh Irish Sport horse with monster shoulders. It doesn’t fit her so Antares is building another one for me. In the meantime, I have been looking at a variety of other saddle brands but would like to hear which are your favorites? I’d like to go with wool flocked (I know Antares isn’t) but I need a 2nd saddle for smaller horses and want to get one that can be adjusted. Your thoughts?

French saddles are foam flocked, and done beautifully with high quality leather and workmanship.

English saddles tend to be wool flocked with IMO, sub par leather and workmanship.

If you’re getting a second saddle just to ride ‘other’ horses in, I would go with whatever you like best, or maybe opt for one with ‘Pro Panels’ or whatever they’re called.

[QUOTE=fourfAlter;8051129]
French saddles are foam flocked, and done beautifully with high quality leather and workmanship.

English saddles tend to be wool flocked with IMO, sub par leather and workmanship.

If you’re getting a second saddle just to ride ‘other’ horses in, I would go with whatever you like best, or maybe opt for one with ‘Pro Panels’ or whatever they’re called.[/QUOTE]

Which particular brands and models do you like best?

If you’re getting a second saddle just to ride ‘other’ horses in, I would go with whatever you like best, or maybe opt for one with ‘Pro Panels’ or whatever they’re called.[/QUOTE]

Wow. That’s a pretty sweeping generalization. There are some very nice, high end wool flocked saddles – British & German. Some of the French saddles makers also offer a wool flocked option.

Personally, I prefer wool flocking as it’s more adjustable.

i personally love my Butet; I’ve had several over the years and my current one is a flat seat, FB2 tree (the wider one designed for WBs.) Even though I mostly ride dressage now, I refuse to part with it and every time I pull it out and use it to jump around, I remember exactly why I love it so much. It is close contact without being uncomfortable, and it fits my horse great. Plus, it’s pretty!

I crossed over to the soft side 2 years ago…Used to ride in flat no-padding Jimmy’s 20th century and Bevals. Upgraded to a Voltaire Palm Beach 3A flap and will never go back. Fits the 8 horses I’ve tried it on so far from TBs to WBs. Design allows full shoulder motion so I’d imagine it’d be great over fences much bigger than what I do. I’m pretty sure Beezie is still riding in one so that says something since I’m sure every company throws saddles at her…

[QUOTE=Cavalli2;8051204]
Which particular brands and models do you like best?[/QUOTE]

I love my Luc Childeric. I also really like my older-model Butet (I don’t like riding in the new ones, they’re not as comfy for me). I had an Antares I couldn’t get rid of fast enough- didn’t like the leather quality (or color) but it was bought to fit a specific horse, so once the horse was gone, so was the saddle.
I’ve ridden in a number of Hermes, and I just don’t love them- I wish I did they’re beautiful!
I’ve been wanting to sit in a Voltaire as they look yummy, but haven’t been able to (yet!)

Um, there are plenty of gorgeous, high-end, bench made, wool-flocked British saddles. I’ve also seen my share of junk looking $5000+ French saddles.

And, perhaps unlike her French saddle that she paid a mint for, that was supposed to be customized but didn’t fit and had to be remade-- with a British wool saddle she might actually get a saddle that fits!!!??!! If reports here are any indication, you roll the dice ordering a “custom” French saddle from many of the popular brands. It’s just as likely to fit as not. The company/rep is just as likely to care as not. They’re just as likely to try to resolve the issue as not. With a truly custom made (not customized panels) wool-flocked saddle, assuming the measurements are correct, you’re going to get something that not only fits but can be tweaked and adjusted over time.

Brands to look at include Albion, Black Country, Lauriche, Custom, Hastilow, Ideal, Bliss, and Patrick. I am also blanking on the name of the guy in VA who makes saddles from scratch and they are SUPER gorgeous. He’s been around for years. If I remember I’ll update with another post. It’s bugging me that I can’t recall his name.

If you want more widely-available there is also County, though I have had really hit-or-miss rep experiences and they have exclusive rep areas so you may be stuck with whatever rep is near you. I believe some of the French saddle brands will make you a wool-flocked saddle although they may try to dissuade you. I have seen wool flocked Antares and CWD though it’s possible that they were done after-market. It didn’t really look like it though.

If you want fancy fancy fancy you can get a bench-made British saddle that is literally made for your horse from his specific measurements, from scratch… with whatever upgrades and fancy bells and whistles you want/can afford. It will STILL probably cost the same or less as a trendy spendy French saddle that shows up in a box, came off a shelf, and might not fit.

Veronic, THANK you for your very informative reply. Do you know who I would contact to get a bench made saddle?

[QUOTE=Cavalli2;8052019]
Veronic, THANK you for your very informative reply. Do you know who I would contact to get a bench made saddle?[/QUOTE]

Patrick Saddlery does them and they are lovely. I think if you post a thread specific to that brand you might get feedback from posters here who have had saddles made. he jumps out to me as the easiest choice for a truly custom saddle in the U.S. He’s not the only option but I’ve heard good things from people I trust. Sonnysmom… pipe in?!

Oh, STACKHOUSE is what I was trying to think of in my earlier post!

I’m throwing the Stubben name out there. They will do custom fittings and make a saddle to your specifications. A lot of people still associate the Stubben name with the old Siegfrieds still kicking around (which, while very well-made, are dated-looking and not soft and pretty), but a lot of their new models are gorgeous and designed to appeal specifically to the U.S. H/J market. Just something to consider.

With that said, a friend at our barn has a Stackhouse, and it’s a lovely saddle. There’s something very appealing, too, about supporting a saddlery located here in the U.S. If your horse needed a custom-fit saddle, you may want to seriously consider Stackhouse.

[QUOTE=vxf111;8052054]
Patrick Saddlery does them and they are lovely. I think if you post a thread specific to that brand you might get feedback from posters here who have had saddles made. he jumps out to me as the easiest choice for a truly custom saddle in the U.S. He’s not the only option but I’ve heard good things from people I trust. Sonnysmom… pipe in?!

Oh, STACKHOUSE is what I was trying to think of in my earlier post![/QUOTE]

David Stackhouse does make very lovely saddles. He will do foam or wool panels.

Schleese has some yummy leather saddles that are wool flocked, as well.

Personally, I’ve owned Stackhouse, Schleese, and County jumping saddles and have been very pleased with them. I currently ride in a Kieffer which is undervalued in the US but very nice and fits my horse like a custom saddle.

I’ve heard so many horror stories about the custom French saddles not fitting properly when they arrive that I wouldn’t dare order one.

[QUOTE=vxf111;8052054]

Oh, STACKHOUSE is what I was trying to think of in my earlier post![/QUOTE]

Love, love, LOVE my Patrick Saddlery saddle. Did I say I love it? He was the ONLY saddler at AETA that would make a saddle for my horse. Yes, Finnegan is that hard to fit. Stubben returned my deposit once their master saddlers saw his pictures.

English saddles tend to be wool flocked with IMO, sub par leather and workmanship.[/QUOTE]
That’s a ridiculous statement. English leather work is some of the best in the world. There are some brilliant Italian and German saddles as well.
OP Bliss have won British Equestrian Trade Association awards recently for their saddles and customer service so they might be a way to go. Equipe are an italian brand and they are being raved about right now. They have invested a lot in to the design of their saddles and will m2m to you and your horses specifications. They have reps here in the US but I am not sure how many…

[QUOTE=HiHopes;8052739]
That’s a ridiculous statement. English leather work is some of the best in the world. There are some brilliant Italian and German saddles as well.
OP Bliss have won British Equestrian Trade Association awards recently for their saddles and customer service so they might be a way to go. Equipe are an italian brand and they are being raved about right now. They have invested a lot in to the design of their saddles and will m2m to you and your horses specifications. They have reps here in the US but I am not sure how many…[/QUOTE]

I sort of agree with Fourfaulter. I’ve never been impressed with the English leather saddles I’ve seen ( have I seen them all? NO. But the ones I.have.seen I did not like personally). They were all hard/shiny leather, not that buttery-soft french leather.

I have also heard a lot of horror stories of french saddles not fitting. I have also heard many stories of panels being flocked badly. It’s a toss up. I’m just glad my guy fit the ‘off the shelf’ saddle! And so did I!
I’ve never

[QUOTE=roamingnome;8052777]
I sort of agree with Fourfaulter. I’ve never been impressed with the English leather saddles I’ve seen ( have I seen them all? NO. But the ones I.have.seen I did not like personally). They were all hard/shiny leather, not that buttery-soft french leather.

I have also heard a lot of horror stories of french saddles not fitting. I have also heard many stories of panels being flocked badly. It’s a toss up. I’m just glad my guy fit the ‘off the shelf’ saddle! And so did I!
I’ve never[/QUOTE]

Some people (and this tends to include many who like British saddles) prefer more durable leather over soft but less durable leather. Totally personal preference. It does not mean you can’t get a British saddle in soft calf, it’s just not what many people (me included) would order.

I know why someone would say the WORKMANSHIP (which is what FF cited in addition to the leather) is worse on British saddles. I’ve never seen one with poor workmanship, even in the much much lower Kent and Masters type price range. Yes, the K&M have lower quality leather (they also cost 4x less than, say, a CWD) but not poor workmanship by any stretch. Universally, even on the spendy French saddles, the workmanship is not better (maybe equal but not better) than high end British saddles.

Most of those saddles I mentioned can be had in super super soft calf as soft as on any French saddle if that’s what you want. It’s not the default but it’s almost certainly available.

My Ideal gets mistaken for a CWD all the time. People actually comment on the leather, positively. I bought it off the shelf (it fit, I needed a saddle, I didn’t want to wait, so I bought it) so didn’t get it spec-ed to my preferences (I would have preferred buffalo)…

http://i5.photobucket.com/albums/y192/vxf111/Saddles/005-2.jpg

I’ve seen Albions, BC, and other British saddles in calf. If that’s what you want, you can get it.

I didn’t say anything about the workmanship, just the leather. Good to know they can also come in the calf/buffalo, I’ve just never seen one!

[QUOTE=roamingnome;8052803]
I didn’t say anything about the workmanship, just the leather. Good to know they can also come in the calf/buffalo, I’ve just never seen one![/QUOTE]

I know you didn’t. FF did.

Typo, post 16, I DON’T know! Oops!!!

More great input . . . thanks. (Keep it coming). I hadn’t thought to look into Keiffer, Stubben or Stackhouse. Of the saddles you’ve ridden in, which is your all time favorite (make and model)?