Unlimited access >

Your best bit for your fussy mouth

I’d probably experiment with width of bit next. So you’ve got Myler on the thin side. And a hollow mouth eggbutt on the fat side. And a Nathe or HS Duo for soft and thick–definitely different than Happy Mouth. And probably try for more stable cheek pieces–no loose rings.

You might also want to check his neck and poll.

1 Like

Yes, it’s slightly ported! Might be interesting to try both this and a Myler to see how he feels about a ported bit with motion vs a ported bit that’s solid. https://www.ridingwarehouse.com/Shires_Mullen_Mouth_Blue_Alloy_Hunter_Dee_Bit/descpage-SMDE.html

1 Like

I have worked w a bit fitter without success

If you want non-metal, look at the Trust white bits. Much nicer than standard happy mouth or rubber.

My very sensitive mare goes the best in a leather bit (the Sweet Billy’s Bit - its thin and flexible). She also goes really well in a Herm Sprenger Duo. I think both would be worth trying for a sensitive horse as it seems like most of what you have tried are metal. You could also try wrapping one of the metal bits with sealtex and see if that gets your horse to soften at all.

I have been curious lately about the adjustment of the bit, as much as about the bit itself. I personally think lots of people tighten the cheekpieces up too short. To me, the two wrinkle rule is too tight. I look in their mouth and see how it looks relative to the teeth and bars. Thoughts anyone?

As far as bits, I really like the French link rubber covered Centaur bit in a D ring. I think fat thick (heavy) bits can get a bit overrated.

2 Likes

I agree. I start looser, usually one wrinkle, with my horses. I only tighten it if they seem to be chewing it a lot, because that usually means it’s not tight enough and it’s irritating them.

2 Likes

This has been a solution for a couple of horses with me, as well. Ive known several that were much happier with a low hanging bit. On the opposite end of the spectrum, I once had a fussy, sensitive tb mare that was much better in a hackamore so we focused on something going on in her mouth. Her teeth were done, no help. Xrays ended up showing wolf teeth that never erupted and were high. Raising the bit to a hole or two higher on the bridle made her happy as a clam.

My mare goes in a leather bit. Wrapped in Sealtex because she chewed one in half. It was a instant transformation.

A turtle top tactio was also recommended, but the leather bit is much cheaper!

Myler MB02 mouthpiece on your choice of cheek. Hands down.

Its been a complete game changer for my 9yo mare. I have swapped from hunters to western ranch riding, but she likes this mouthpiece so much I just bought her an MB02 on a little shank (we have to compete in a shank in this discipline due to her age) She will actually ride into the bridle and accept contact.
French links were hit or miss, only if they were the exact right thickness did she like them. Single joints are a disaster and she hated the mullen so much I proved my theory that she will rear if ahe hates a bit enough. I played musical bits with snaffles when we did hunters until we landed in the MB02, and I did it again with curb bits until I finally smartened up and bought the MB02 again.

I have used this bit on several babies, especially a 3yo who loved to head toss and nod her head up and down quite intensely with contact in a french link and a single joint. Once again, tried the myler, magically had a quiet mouth.

I’m not one to buy things because they are trendy or brand name, but the Myler bits work.

1 Like