Unlimited access >

Your best bit for your fussy mouth

Hello! I have had my gelding checked several times, had back checked, teeth done, saddle fit checked multiple times. Vet does not seem to believe there is any underlying pain. So now we are working on finding a bit he loves. We have tried many many bits, and I can’t seem to find the one. I feel like I am close, but still not there. Obviously there are so many companies and bits and metals it can take forever to really understand the science behind all these companies.

He is a 6 yr old WB training to eventually show hunters. He has certainly come a long way, but his biggest issue now is not wanting to accept contact, especially in the canter transition. Lots of head tossing and sometimes hopping up and down when asking to transition to canter. Trotting was once runny and wanting to totally evade the bit, but now he is mostly able to keep the contact but every few days he will fuss his head left and right and just unhappy. I feel like I narrowed it down to a single jointed bit is what he is the quietest in. I have even worked with a virtual bit fitter (wasn’t too thrilled as I felt like it was geared to the one brand only). I have tried:
NS verbindend, NS tranz angeled, HS turtle top loose ring, HS KK ultra, full cheek plain snaffle, eggbutt snaffle, waterford, happy mouth mullen mouth D ring.
Trialing many bits from the most expensive to inexpensive–i found he moves the best and is the least active and “yappy” at the mouth with the eggbutt single jointed bit (cheap $40 bit) so wondering if anyone had any success with different metals that may encouraged further acceptance?

I would love to hear of anyone’s experience with finding their holy grail bit that worked for their fussy horse (after ruling out other pains). Thanks!

Have you tried a Myler (one with the barrel, like an MB 02)? Some horses seem to really like the shape and stability of them and seek more contact in one than in a traditional jointed bit.

The other bit I’ve had success with for a fussy horse is a leather bit (specifically one that can mould to the shape of their mouth, rather than another material covered in leather that will just bounce back into a straight shape).

3 Likes

I havent used any myler bits, but the one you recommended sems to have many great reviews esp about fussy horses. Something worth looking at.

My trainer mentioned leather bits and possibly trying them for my horse. I don’t know anything about them to begin trialing one. Thanks for your recs!

These sound primarily training issues. He needs to build the balance and strength to do transitions correctly. The bit is not the source of the problem.

1 Like

How is he w three piece bits? I think horses tend to accept them better and e comfortable in them. My go to for all is the happy mouth French link. They like to hold the plastic. Second runner up is copper French link.

2 Likes

He has definitely had gaps in training before we got him, and I know he’s come such a long way in his strength, balance, and overall training/fitness but still has a way to go—he is in a training program now and will continue to be i was just hoping to find a bit that helps facilitate/encourage acceptance and salivation etc to help make things a little more pleasant for him. He doesn’t fuss only at the transition. He fusses throughout the entire ride, just worse in the upward canter transition. Hoping to keep him as happy as we can on the mouth while continuing his training

1 Like

We’ve only tried double jointed bits like the turtle top HS and NS verbindend or tranz angeled with that middle piece in all those bits but was still very active in the mouth—looked as if he kept picking up and dropping bit. Keeping a slightly gapey mouth. The softest and quietest was in the plain single jointed snaffle. But I haven’t played with other metals, and I haven’t tried the French link!

Sprenger duo? It’s a plastic material with some give. Not cheap though.

1 Like

I haven’t tried this specifically but isn’t this similar to the happy mouth Mullen mouth? I did try that one and not much happiness haha

I call them unhappy mouths. Is the mullen happy mouth snaffle wavy lime the pelham? I had s horse that hated that one so much he ate through it.

The duo is a mullen mouth but the material is very different than the happy mouths. It’s softer and bendy. It also comes in a D-ring version.

Another bit that fussy horses sometimes like is this single-jointed, curved, sweet iron myler.

Titanium bits. Hands down the best for my hands.

You see I have MS and one of my symptoms is a rather subtle hand tremor, but the horses feel it loud and clear. I also have problems with knowing where my hands are, usually not a major problem per se but again the horses definitely notice it but they are rather polite with me so long they like the mouthpiece of the bit. But them “accepting” a stainless steel, sweet iron or copper/copper alloy bit was not enough for full acceptance of the bit–until the titanium bits. A bit they will fuss at in stainless steel is suddenly fully acceptable in titanium (except for tongue relief bits, see above about my hand problems.)

I ride lesson horses at a good hunt seat stable. I have learned that if I introduce a lesson horse to a titanium bit with an acceptable mouthpiece that these horses will “go on strike” when exactly the same type of bit in stainless steel is put in their mouth, bits that they had accepted as OK before I used a titanium bit with them.

Right now I am having the time of my life riding two horses in a double bridle with the Fager titanium bits. Both horses will object vehemently if they do not like a bit, and I do not get any objections as long as I keep my fingers relaxed, soft and giving. These horses will also accept somewhat harsher hand aids temporarily when I am trying to explain something to them.

Unfortunately titanium bits are expensive. Right now I am doing the Fager bits (https://fagerbitsusa.com. The bits listed are in stock usually, the shipping is rather cheap ($10.00 US) and I usually get my bit within a week. The Fager bit people also have interesting ideas about how a bit should work in the horse’s mouths for the horse’s greater comfort with contact and rein aids. The Fager bit people have a WIDE selection of titanium bits. I do recommend asking for advice from Fager bits before you buy one.

Because of the titanium bits the horses will “forgive” me my MS hand faults, so long as I use the bit humanely.

I tried regular stainless steel bits, the Myler bits (big NO! for my hands), a Herm Sprenger bit (it was OK but a much cheaper JP Dr. Bristol was better for that horse), sweet iron bits (watch your hands lady), Pee Wee bit (acceptable for a short while), and countless stainless steel snaffles with many different mouthpieces, rings and thickness.

I finally got really good results with the Wellep bit (no longer made or available) until I put the first titanium bit in their mouths, then even the Wellep bit is no longer OK, because it is made of stainless steel.

For my hands the titanium bits (with an acceptable mouthpiece) wins. The horses soften and they react to my well timed hand aids much better and they do not “cuss me out” any more.

1 Like

Have you tried a ported sweet iron Mullen mouth? It’ll offer a lot more space for the tongue than the Happy Mouth and I’ve found fussy types tend to like it. Shires does a D ring for around $30, if this horse doesn’t like it some horse down the line definitely will.

I haven’t tried anything ported. Is that just for tongue relief? Maybe I can add that to the drawing board

Thanks for sharing your experience! I looked at the fager bits but that’s when I became overwhelmed hah. So many bits and I need a fixed cheek piece and it just looks all so different I wouldn’t know where to begin

Another myler suggestion. I think that’ll be the next I try.

Yeah the Mullen happy mouth was pretty stiff and wavy

I have been wanting to try the HS duo but the cost has been holding me back; someone suggested the Acavallo Sensitive bit as a slightly cheaper alternative! It feels pretty similar I think, might be something to look into.

If a horse is fussy in a simple French link (I hate with a passion those nutcracker Snaffle bits. I could talk on and on about why I don’t like them) I go to a waterford or a happy mouth French link.
The Waterford bit is a ‘busy’ bit and great for horses that need something to play with in their mouth to keep them happy, or any horse that likes to grab the bit and pull.
The plastic bits sometimes are preferred by horses but I have no idea why.
If they are unhappy in either of those then I try a hackamore for a few days to see if it’s a tooth issue.

My horse is very light, soft, and sensitive in the mouth, almost to a fault. His mouth is small, his palette is low, and his tongue is fat. There isn’t a lot of room in there.

We tried the HS Duo and I was sorely disappointed. It’s not nearly as soft and bendy as reviews/people said. It’s almost as stiff as a Happy Mouth but thinner and twice the price.

He went in a Happy Mouth double jointed full cheek for several years. He loved it until he didn’t. This spring I looked in his mouth while he was wearing it, and the tiny metal joints were pinching his lips. I felt awful because I had no idea beforehand.

We also tried a basic oval link, a single joint D, and a Myler D level 1. He hated them all.

He REALLY likes a French link full cheek. It’s a basic cheap Korsteel, like $40 or so? With keepers. It’s stable in his mouth with the perfect balance of not being too thin/strong and not being too fat for his mouth.

Other bits that were on my list to try (but I haven’t) were Sweet Billy’s leather bits (Etsy) and the Acavallo Sensitive bit. Last time I checked, that one is like $150 with most vendors but is only around $60 on Riding Warehouse? I’m not sure what’s up with that but if I wanted to try it, that’s where I would order it from.

1 Like

While not a H/J, my mini fussed like this when in harness. No bit was quite right for him. A French link made a big difference. I also went up a size in the bit and although it’s just a touch roomy, he’s much happier.

1 Like

I would try to find a bit fitter for advice.