Unlimited access >

Your Dream Horse Vacation

Just because I was thinking about this…what would your dream horsey vacation be? Riding over the hills in Ireland, galloping across the beach in Hawaii?! Or just fly out to get lessons from George Morris and stay in a hotel? :cool:

Mine would definitely be to travel to Florida (like Wellington, maybe), and stay at a 5* hotel, and get to show in (and watch others compete in) shows like HITS Ocala. And take lessons from a BNT at a super fancy barn. :love-struck:

I would love to do the whole WEF experience. Full out 5 * all the way.

Then I would love to ride through Ireland or Scotland.

Jumping cross-country in the green hills of Ireland, close enough to see the coast!

WEF! I totally forgot about WEF. I’d definitely show there if I could. :slight_smile:

Safari on horse back in Botswana

My own horse in some of the most beautiful National Parks for trail rides. It’s a dream vacation because I would want to go back out west and it would take a bit of time to get my horse acclimated to the altitude before I could ride in some of the spots I have in mind. I wish I had the time. Maybe some day. :smiley:

I actually did my dream horsey vacation 12 years ago. (Has it been that long?) It’s called the Red Rock Ride and is based in Kanab Utah. They pick you up in Vegas and take you to the camp near Kanab. The first day we rode Zion National Park. Horses were trailered in and we rode in vans. We got to choose whether we wanted a horse or a mule. The second day was Bryce Canyon. The third and fourth days were BLM lands–Straight Canyon and Paria. After Paria they put us up in the lodge in Kanab and moved camp to the Kaibab National Forest on the north rim of the Grand Canyon. Next day we rode to the rim and had a look at the trail into the canyon, then went back for a party and dance at camp. The last day was down to Roaring Springs on the north rim. In camp we had tents with cots with foam mattresses and a trailer with three showers, toilets, and sinks. Also had a cook trailer where they prepared all our meals. It was awesome. That was the last year they did the ride down the north rim. The trail was pretty rough and the park service didn’t want to invest money into repairing it. But you can still go on the ride and go to other places. I’d LOVE to do it again.

Went to Ireland last summer and galloped on beaches, trotted down lanes, and walked over dunes and through the peat bogs. It was awesome! I hope to go back next summer.

Well, I could not think of any that would be considered a dream vacation.
Then realized I have been living that dream vacation for most of my life, right here.:lol:

How about Around The Horse World in 80 Days?
I’d love to go from country to country sampling riding in each.
Europe, Asia, Africa & the USA - I’ll try them all.

Accomodations unimportant, as long as I have a bed to fall into & a shower to wash off the dust I’m A-OK.

2nd Choice would be to visit all COTHers at their farms.
Roadtrip!

If we’re dreaming?

Having a vet help me fly my never-got-to-see-a-trailer pony up to a center like Rood & Riddle for a full workup - scan all the body parts we’ve been worried about, have a master farrier go over his oddball feet, the works.

He’d probably wind up staying in the US as a pasture puff when we got done, but at least I’d know for sure what he needed and he’d be where there are pastures!

Let’s see…

• gallop on the beach - check
  • Treks in Europe (mostly, mountains of France and Switzerland) - check
  • foxhunting, hunter paces - check
  • swim with my horse - check

I’ve been spoiled. Now my ideal vacations don’t involve horses anymore.

I did one - a European shopping trip. I have 2 more…

Ireland, but with lots and lots of lessons from a really, really good trainer.

And now I have to add WEF, 5* all the way…!!! Oh to dream…

I have always wanted to go trekking in Mongolia- but that horse dream would only play out if I could also dream that I was 5’3" and 125 lbs.

More realistically I’d love to go “Coaching in Bavaria” but I am afraid that I would need to bring a barf bag in case my vertigo go the best of me… the thought of sitting a top of a coach on the outside of a hairpin makes me queasy just sitting here at my computer… and the thought of getting queasy in front of the other guests on the coach- well that makes me feel apprehensive… and well it just spirals from there. But I do dream!!! If the thought of coaching in Bavaria with out the thought of me hurling in Bavaria seems interesting to you, Andreas Nimitz has some nice youtubes.

Another driving holiday that I would thrill to experience is a visit to Swingletree and to meet John Parker. He’s from another generation of horsemen, and I don’t think that a person gets much of a chance to learn from a eprson like him in their life. If it were possible I would love this:
http://www.highmindedhorseman.com/2010/10/01/five-days-at-swingletree

I have just dreamed of going to Germany with about 20K to spend on tack to ship home. My horse can sit here and wait for me.

I did kind of a dream vacation many years ago. I went with a 4th level horse, which I just got and wasnt really able to enjoy to a GP Trainer for a month… I learned how school all the figures up to PSG with my horse and some of his schooling horses. I even schooled piourettes. It was pretty amazing and I would love to do that in the future again…

Would love to go to some of the large international competitions - Aachen, Badminton Burghley, Dublin, Hickstead, or Spruce Meadows -as a spectator

My own QH gelding, on a beautiful sandy beach somewhere.