Your experience with NPA behind?

We’re living such similar lives.

I’m going to take pics to update the other thread, but last night my boy’s hind right shoe had lost the two medial nails and shifted, causing him to step on the clip which embedded itself in his hoof wall. Que frantic calling of new farrier, who happened to still be in the area, and a late night emergency reshoeing situation. My boy was so sore behind (suddenly? he was fine the day before) that he kept kicking out trying to get his leg back and we had to give him a bucket of cookies to get him done and even then it was a sweaty, tense, miserable affair.

Puncture in the hoof wall was cleaned up and packed with artimud. He was immediately more comfortable behind in wedges when he was done. Old farrier texted me this AM to see how horse was doing in the hind shoes he put on last week :upside_down_face: I answered but did not fully explain that horse is now wearing another man’s shoes.

1 Like

Another man’s shoes :rofl:

2 Likes

Haha that last line made me giggle. It’s so tough to explain though! We are cheaters

1 Like

I just switched back to me farrier after a long frustrating year living elsewhere. My mare has had NPA for months and the farrier at the place we were, while very nice, just couldn’t figure it out. My farrier pulled her shoes, trimmed toe and rolled it and told me to walk her an hour a day on abrasive surfaces, we have gravel/ rough asphalt roads all over here so no problem. He trimmed her every 2 weeks behind, he’d just stop by and trim her whenever he was nearby. The NPA is gone in less than 2 months. The bullnose is gone, she’s landing flat again. What fixes NPA is growing the caudal tissue in the heel. You can trim the toe all day long but until the horse is landing on the heel as they are supposed to and building soft tissue back there in the heel bulbs above the sole it won’t do a damn thing.

He kept her front shoes but fixed that too. With the last farrier she wore the shoes heavily at the toe and nowhere else (and not evenly!!). With my farrier she’s wearing all the nails down evenly again because she’s not landing on her toes. Her feet on the concrete make a single noises as she puts them down. I’m so glad to be home.

3 Likes

I had a similar experience with mine. We caught him at right about neutral. He was slipping behind in the canter and the stifle was locking. Blistered the stifle to see if that solved it and it massively descreased the slipping, but didn’t eliminate it. We had the chiro take a look and she saw him camped under behind and very sore in the lower back. She recommended looking at the hind feet and lo and behold that was the problem.

We fixed angles and added 3d pads behind and the slipping stopped within a couple weeks. We took xrays every 3 months to fine-tune as needed. His angle is improving and potentially in another year he can try coming out of the 3d pads. If that timeline holds, then it would have been a 2 year process to fix the issue.

1 Like