Unlimited access >

your favorite hi vis or reflective gear?

This winter I am riding out in the dark more. I don’t wear a head lamp. The farm I ride on is quiet, dark, and I’m usually riding around areas that are not accessible to cars but I would like us to be more visible if I am along side the driveway (and so any boarders showing up to check on their horse don’t see us and think there is a loose horse off in the distance.)

Looking for recommendations of hi vis or reflective gear (to go with English tack) and where you purchased it… I see more saddle pads and horse gear on UK websites. How many hi vis things do you wear (just a vest and horse breastplate? a helmet cover? led’s?) and what works best for you?

While I am sure there is equine-specific reflective gear, you might want to try your nearest sporting goods store and look at running/jogging stuff. My husband is a runner and he has reflective armbands and headbands and wristbands and a reflective apron he wears. They all go on with velcro, so are adjustable. Might be cheaper than horse stuff too. Just an idea.

I never worried about things “to go with” anything:)

I simply went to the hunting department in WalMart and bought myself a hunter orange vest, and a hunter orange ball cap. You can buy Velcro reflective bands for your horse’s legs and tail from several horse catalogues – they aren’t very expensive:)

The nice thing about a hunting vest, is that it has all kinds of pockets to put stuff in:)

https://equisafety.com/collections/rider

I have a winter Aspey jacket from Equisafety and it is very warm. They make horse safety gear as well. If you figure out which item you want you might be able to find it on Amazon.

I am going to try Academy Sports after work and see how cheap vests are there for runners and hunters. For my horse I was thinking that a breastplate might be more visible than bands around his ankles, but maybe I could attach the strips to my breastplate.

Less of a fashion statement and more me wanting to make sure I don’t but something that only fits or attaches to a western saddle. Although I like matchy-matchy.

The Equisafety site has a “slow down, horse in training” vest. I need a “slow down, rider in training” one.

I use blaze orange biothane tack during hunting season. I actually said something yesterday to my husband about changing back to my normal colored tack, and he said he’d prefer I continue to use the blaze orange. My bridle, reins and breast collar are all blaze orange. During hunting season I wear an orange hunting vest as well. He feels like it is an added safety measure that certainly doesn’t hurt to wear year round. [ATTACH=JSON]{“alt”:“Click image for larger version Name: 8CF06912-FB78-4F7F-8AE1-8D96A1967263.jpeg Views: 1 Size: 12.6 KB ID: 10346046”,“data-align”:“none”,“data-attachmentid”:“10346046”,“data-size”:“thumb”}[/ATTACH]

8CF06912-FB78-4F7F-8AE1-8D96A1967263.jpeg

Reflective vest. A flashing red bicycle light that you can set to all different patterns. Works like magic! Reflective tape on legs. you can probably get some useful things at home depot and/or a bicycle store.

https://www.amazon.com/Bright-Lighting-Install-Safety-Cycling/dp/B0197X16BC/ref=sr_1_26?crid=1N7DBSHIBI79K&keywords=bicycle+flashing+rear+red+light&qid=1551498902&s=gateway&sprefix=flashing+bicycle+light+rear%2Caps%2C235&sr=8-26

I got my husband the quarter sheet from Sleezy Barb Horsewear for Christmas. I don’t have much to compare it to, but I like it - the neon yellow practically glows in the dim light of a wintery wooded road.

A big reason we chose this one is that it’s a mesh rather than solid material so when the weather is warmer it won’t be hot.