Unlimited access >

Your favourite multi-horse shelter design?

That looks like a great set up. I’m jealous of people who live in more temperate climates and don’t have to plan for blizzards and ice storms!

3 Likes

Great dry lot! That’s one thing I don’t have so mud is a battle in the spring and fall! I love that the first photo caught someone break dancing!

1 Like

No blizzards here. Just legit killer heat that lasts forever it seems. The screens have been a game changer for offering shade without limiting air flow. The horse area is the south end of the barn. In the northwest corner I’m considering putting up solid walls as that’s the direction our winter weather and most thunderstorms come from. That would give me a little more cover from wind, rain and the god awful summer afternoon sun and hopefully not block too much airflow. I’d like to wall in the gable portion of the south side too for additional sun protection.

The horses seem to like being able to have a full view from inside the barn. Gotta spy on the neighbors ya know!

1 Like

I’ve always wanted something like this but set up with a round bale feeder in the middle!

3 Likes

Very pretty and finished looking! I like how the fence is set on the edge of the run in so the horses aren’t tempted to try and lick off your pretty paint!

Is that what you call stonedust?

I’m having a heck of a time finding material like that down here. I can get bigger crushed limestone, pea gravel or sand. The bigger rocks end up in the manure pile and sand is a PITA bc gotta keep feed / hay away from it.

2 Likes

Yes, it’s called stonedust or bluestone here and it’s fabulous. It compacts nice and smooth and is easy to pick. Before my dry lot I had a pad of crusher run (CR-6) around the hay feeder and it was such a pain to clean because you had to choose between leaving behind a lot of manure and scooping up a bunch of rocks. I’d end up picking rocks out of the pitchfork by hand ugh.

Here they are munching hay in the shed this morning. The corral panels are ugly but have proven very useful for temporary division of the dry lot as my herd changes. In the spring I plan to take them down again and turn all three out together, but I didn’t want the new guy having to fight for hay and shelter over the winter.

4 Likes

I feel you on the picking rocks out of the pitchfork by hand :expressionless:

Your horses look very content!

I don’t like the way my corral panels look either, but I’ve found them incredibly handy on my wee farm.

Did you apply the no climb wire to your panels yourself or purchase them that way?

I’m gonna keep after hunting some of that stone dust / bluestone. Currently my sacrifice paddock has grass (it’s not lush obviously but it’s there) in it less the high traffic areas and it makes it slower to clean. Pitchfork times get caught up in the roots / thatch. I could probably kill the rest of the grass by keeping the horses on it more but then I’d have a dirt lot that would be slippery in the rain and uglier than corral panels lol.

2 Likes

I put it on myself! No-climb from TSC and a bunch of zip ties. Super fancy, right??

3 Likes

Slick! :sunglasses:

1 Like

Zip-ties are the unsung hero of my farm :joy:

2 Likes

We use aluminum zip ties a lot, they don’t weather and break like the plastic ones do. We leave the length on so no cutting edge, and just wrap it around whatever we tied with it. I have a section of fence made with cattle panels, t-posts, and aluminum zips. Should be good for a long time.

3 Likes