Unlimited access >

Zayat- A little background

There is pretty interesting, http://www.ahmedzayat.com/

I am not one to spread “hearsay” and I have not read through everything. But I already know a number of things to be fact.

Most of my dislike for Ahmed Zayat (hope I spelled that correctly) stems from the whole PETA/Asmussen fiasco. Zayat let his true his true colors when he tried throwing Asmussen and his staff under the proverbial bus and dramatically removed all of his horses from Asmussen’s stables.

That move made it obvious how little the man cares about his stock. Regardless of how you perceive Asmussen and his staff, someone that truly cares about their horses wouldn’t have them with someone they wouldn’t be willing to stand behind.

Even before that I could never quite bring myself to like the guy, he always seems to come across as egotistical and a little shady (IMO). I guess I’m a bit unusual in that I place a lot of value in loyalty, not that my opinion of the guy is worth anything anyhow.

One thing I do give him credit for is Paynter, he definitely did right by that horse.

Since I do not know Mr. Zayat, I am not going to judge him. I am rooting for Pharoah to win it all. I do find it ironic that when people criticized Coburn, they were told to focus on the horse and not the owners. Now I see so many threads on various forums criticizing the Zayats. Go Pharoah!

Any owner who gets called the c word by anyone in the barn needs to get their horses the hell out of that barn. Throwing him under the bus would have been a giant lawsuit that would have undoubtedly been quietly paid by Asmissen’s insurance company. As far as AP goes, root for the horse not the connections if that makes you feel better. I don’t remember any requirement to be a choir boy when applying for an owner’s license.

[QUOTE=Laurierace;8163075]
Any owner who gets called the c word by anyone in the barn needs to get their horses the hell out of that barn. Throwing him under the bus would have been a giant lawsuit that would have undoubtedly been quietly paid by Asmissen’s insurance company. As far as AP goes, root for the horse not the connections if that makes you feel better. I don’t remember any requirement to be a choir boy when applying for an owner’s license.[/QUOTE]

I’ve gotta go with Laurie on this one…

Zayat was unfairly dragged through the mud in the PETA bullcrap. He was also called some downright disrespectful things by Blasi. If I was paying the bills and then heard the second in command spouting off about me in that manner, I would have pulled my horses as well.

My impression of Zayat has gone back and forth over the years. But he loves the sport and does right by his horses, which goes a long way with me.

The whole thorn song thing turned me off to him, but I’m still cheering like hell for the horse!

As far as Zayat taking his horses away from Asmussen, I think that is a huge plus in his column, not a minus. I think that any customers who stayed with him cannot have a lot of ethics when it comes to the treatment of their horses.

Asmussen’s brother and father have also come under scrutiny regarding their love and care for the horses entrusted to them. Which is why I am probably quicker than not to believe allegations against him.

Zayat began his career with horses in the jumper ring. He was on the Saudi team (which may not be saying much, but it requires at least a passing knowledge and ability with horses). An advanced rider needs to understand lameness, how to treat it and how to avoid it. After all, GP horses are not interchangeable, as racehorses can be.

Whatever the man’s failings in the rest of his life, I believe that he is more knowledgable and caring than 98% of race horse owners, the majority of whom have probably never picked up a hoof or run their hands down a leg.

I will be rooting for AP in the Belmont. If he can win against frech horses, he is truly a worthy TC winner.

PS: Which one of Baffert’s horses lost by a nose in the Belmont to Victory Gallop when the TC was on the line? Like Zayat and his close calls in the Derby, Baffert has come very close to winning a TC. He deserves this one.

I don’t really care what anyone says about the Zayats. They seem like good people, who love the horses do the sport for the love of the animals. And you know what solidified how I feel this way? The fact they pulled the horses from Assmussen’s barn.

[QUOTE=Laurierace;8163075]
I don’t remember any requirement to be a choir boy when applying for an owner’s license.[/QUOTE]

A lot of owners (especially the ones like Zayat with lots of horses) are probably high-level businessmen. To make that much money, you probably have to step on some toes and do some unscrupulous things.

I also go back and forth about Zayat. I think he can have a big ego (which also goes with being a successful businessman) and be kinda obnoxious. But I think he really cares about the sport and his horses.

As an Egyptian, and a Jew, it’s pretty doubtful he made the Saudi national showjumping team. It’s also doubtful he jumped at the GP level.

[QUOTE=Drvmb1ggl3;8163624]
As an Egyptian, and a Jew, it’s pretty doubtful he made the Saudi national showjumping team. It’s also doubtful he jumped at the GP level.[/QUOTE]

I think Lord Helpus might be confusing Zayat with the Maktoum family maybe?

Maktoums are from Dubai in the United Arab Emirates.

Prince Abdullah (Juddmonte Farms) and Prince Salman (Thoroughbred Corp, and deceased) are the main Saudi racing figures.

I know the Maktoums are from Dubai, but they have a lot of connections to the international show jumping world, which is why I made that suggestion.

Learned something new:

http://www.nj.com/horse-racing/index.ssf/2015/05/preakness_stakes_2015_5_things_to_know_about_american_pharoah_owner_ahmed_zayat.html

History lesson: A self-described entrepreneur from Cairo, Zayat developed a passion for horse racing in his early teens while competing in national show jumping events in his native country.

Just a simple mistake in country. Can happen to anyone. :wink:

I don’t think you need to be unscrupulous to make money in business or to be a successful race horse owner. Not sure why Zayat’s character is being batted about here, it has nothing to do with how the horse runs.

I don’t believe any of the Maktoums themselves ever showjumped. Endurance is their game. Sheik Mo’s wife (2nd wife) Princess Haya was an Olympic showjumper and jumped on the GP circuit in Europe, but she is from Jordan.
Btw, Princess Haya also had a jockey’s licence and was an exercise rider for trainer Tommy Stack.

I don’t see any evidence that Zayat jumped at the GP level as was claimed. Like most boys from wealthy families in the middle east/north africa (or the world for that matter) he would have showjumped as a kid.

[QUOTE=Flash44;8163914]
I don’t think you need to be unscrupulous to make money in business or to be a successful race horse owner. Not sure why Zayat’s character is being batted about here, it has nothing to do with how the horse runs.[/QUOTE]

Amen to that. Go Pharoah!

[QUOTE=gumtree;8162619]
There is pretty interesting, http://www.ahmedzayat.com/

I am not one to spread “hearsay” and I have not read through everything. But I already know a number of things to be fact.[/QUOTE]

Thank you for the post.
You aren’t the only one to “know a number of things to be fact”.

[QUOTE=Flash44;8163914]
I don’t think you need to be unscrupulous to make money in business or to be a successful race horse owner. Not sure why Zayat’s character is being batted about here, it has nothing to do with how the horse runs.[/QUOTE]

His character may have nothing to do with how the horse runs, but his character has everything to do with the person he is. You need to stop relying on the tweets (which are very self serving) and google the person he actually is. Or listen to people (as in many more than one) who have actually had dealings with him.

[QUOTE=Sunlight Star;8164681]
His character may have nothing to do with how the horse runs, but his character has everything to do with the person he is. You need to stop relying on the tweets (which are very self serving) and google the person he actually is. Or listen to people (as in many more than one) who have actually had dealings with him.[/QUOTE]

I for one don’t care what kind of person he is.