Unlimited access >

Zone Finals IEA

Hello! I have my first zone finals for IEA in a month. It is my first year doing IEA so I’ve never experienced a zone finals before.
I didn’t do the best at regionals despite getting mainly 1st places in the regular season. Honestly, I just didn’t ride the best. I was tired and I didn’t eat that day which made me a bit weak and made my mind hazy. I have good eq and I ride new horses usually pretty well, but that day just wasn’t my best ride.

Does anyone have tips on zone finals?

How can I quickly improve before? (Exercises, what a judge first sees, etc)

And lastly…

Any tips on how to prepare the day of?

I’m kind of nervous, because when I’m showing on my own horse I know him pretty well by now so I know exactly what the hard/easy parts are, but for IEA sometimes you have to go with the flow which is very difficult for me because I LOVE plans.

Thank you!

1 Like

Nothing specific about the riding phase, but EAT!!! Food is going to help you with everything else! If you’ve got to keep moving, grab things that can be eaten ‘on the go!’ like hard-boiled eggs, spoonfuls of peanut butter, muffins, fruit, etc, but not things like donuts (okay, maybe 1, in a pinch :wink: if that’s what it takes to GET you eating)

3 Likes

Good point about the food, I usually just eat a quick donut at the snack table when I show but a hard boiled egg seems really good

2 Likes

You did not do well b/c you were tired and did not eat?

Try getting a good night’s sleep and have breakfast/lunch before you ride. Those things are more or less in your control.

In addition, for IEA, do not post even ONE step of trot on the wrong diagonal. Sit an extra step until you (subtly) determine which is the correct diagonal, and then post.

3 Likes

Finally! Someone else said it! Preach!! Lol.

2 Likes

Lol @MHM were you the one who posted that piece of advice on the OP’s other thread about IEA? I agree, personally, it just makes things sharper.

OP, have you discussed with your trainer since your last post about what you can do better in the ring?

3 Likes

OMG I judge a ton of IEA and this is NOT TRUE

5 Likes

Have you chatted with your trainer? What did they say? People might be able to clear up or hone in that advice for you.

If you are like I was and forget/don’t feel like eating at shows, get some Ensure meal shakes or similar. They have a balanced profile and don’t feel like eating, but they keep the lights on upstairs lol.

The BIGGEST thing I can say is this: go into this hoping to do your best but NOT EXPECTING ANYTHING. Do your best to go there just for the experience and to hang out with your team - any placings are just icing! Don’t let yourself get too caught up in competitiveness that you are disappointed if things don’t go to plan. Like you found at regionals vs local shows, the level of competition is going to go up exponentially at finals. Treat this year as a “practice” or get -your-bearings year, you’ll be so much better prepared next year once you know what’s up. And maybe some magic happens and you exceed expectations :wink:

Good luck! Go out there and have FUN!

(As to diagonals: best practice is to sit a stride or two extra rather than post on the wrong diagonal at all. But odds are the judge won’t see it if you fix it in a step or two. They can’t be watching everyone all the time, and that’s where luck comes in!)

2 Likes

Correct! Best to come up on your correct diagonal, but it is in NO WAY a dealbreaker if fixed immediately.
I look for correct position, and then who “reads” the horse they drew the best. You need to know when to be strong with your seat and leg on a cold one, and how to not be strong on a hot sensitive one.
Correct stirrup placement and leg position is what I look for first, then a bent elbow and closed fingers. Straight back but not over arched. Keep your skull over top pf your spine. And have fun!

7 Likes

Yeah, she said to just not have pressure and to have fun! I agree but I also really want to be a competitive rider and show my best possible self.

1 Like

I know what I’m about to say is going to feel a bit unhelpful BUT

People ride so much better and make a nicer picture when they’re relaxed. The MOMENT I aged out of the junior ranks and took the pressure off myself, I started to show exponentially better. Even as a Junior, some of my best rides were when I was filling hunter divisions on my jumper; I was just there to do someone a favor and was able to relax. I also had my best IEA shows at the venue where I showed my jumper every other weekend - knowing your way around is really key to being able to relax and focus.

I think we hashed this out on your other thread, but without seeing you ride there’s really no way to give you much more input. Either you “should” already know those things, or they are out of scope for what you are doing. If you had some specific questions people could chip in (critiques from your trainer that you hear a lot?).

Stay hydrated, eat well, put on sunscreen, stay warm or cool depending. Cheer for everyone, take lots of pictures, and have fun!

2 Likes

@celine.eq2023 I just came back from coaching at a Zone Finals this weekend, so I thought I’d give you some examples of tests that were used.
First, if your zone is like ours, we had 14 riders in each class. That’s a decent sized flat class, depending on the size of the ring you are in. Only beginner WTC was split to canter. Be sure you get seen, try to stay slightly off the rail in front of the judge if possible, but do not get stuck in a circle in the middle of the ring. Keep up with the flow of traffic. If you are constantly being passed, you’re going to slow and not going to get noticed, in addition to causing a traffic jam for other riders. If you’re constantly passing others, you’re going too fast and going to be noticed for the wrong thing.

The first day was team flat classes, and our judge didn’t test any classes. He was excellent, and knew that the horses all had to do three days of work and said he didn’t need to work them harder than necessary.

The second day included some individual classes. Novice Flat was tested without stirrups at the trot
I believe the Intermediate Flat switched horses. One of the intermediate flat classes was asked to leave the line in the left lead canter and demonstrate two simple lead changes on the quarter line in front of the judge.

Open Flat (Team) had an excellent test. Riders left the line up tracking right in a canter, hand galloped the long side in front of the judge, halted under a sign at the end of the ring, returned to the right lead canter and demonstrated two simple lead changes on the long side opposite the judge.
Things to note with this - the winner REALLY hand galloped. The whole crowd went “ooohh” as he stepped into it. The hard part of the test was getting the horse to halt again at the end after the gallop. The best simple lead changes were done through the walk, but whether you do them through the walk or the trot, be sure they match. One rider did one in walk and one in trot. It also can be a tricky test because you don’t know if your horse picks up the counter lead easily. There was one horse that did the lead change test in two classes and never once picked up the counter canter.

Over fences, the open team class was asked to return without irons, trot in and canter out of a line that they had previous cantered, walk when they desired and then canter on the left lead to a jump that was on the right lead diagonal. Trotting in should add one more step than you did at the canter. One rider added two steps because the horse got backwards on her. Asking for the left lead didn’t specifically call for a counter canter, but that’s what the judge was looking for.

The third day was all individual classes and each one had a test (except one, which had a very clear winner and the rest all had major errors).
The middle school novice flat class was given their test specifically by the judge (not read over the loud speaker). They rode a figure eight at one end of the ring. The first loop to the right was done in a sitting trot, the first loop to the left was done in rising trot. The second loop to the right was done in right lead canter, the second loop to the left was done in left lead canter. Be sure to halt in the middle to start your figure eight, ride straight to a spot on the fence ( not a diagonal), make your transitions happen at that spot where you halted, and finish your figure eight with a halt. I can tell you he was looking at the riders coming up on the correct diagonal from sitting to rising trot, and for the riders to not be looking down to check their leads.
Open flat tested without stirrups and in the counter canter.

Over fences testing on the last day included
Intermediate - trot directly out of the line to a fence, canter a roll back, show a halt in a specified location, canter directly to another jump shortly after the halt. Be sure you know your fence numbers!
Open had to canter in and trot out of a line, then hand gallop a fence. The trot out was difficult, I think only two out of the five actually got it done.

Also, @mroades may not care about riders coming up on the correct diagonal, but I cannot tell you how many times I heard it discussed with the riders over the weekend.

Hope this helps to prepare you for some examples of testing you might see done

5 Likes

Here are a couple tips we do with our riders:

1. Watch the warm up and take notes! Look at the horses’ transitions, how many strides they get between fences, the aids their warm-up rider uses, does it go in a frame, etc.
  2. Learn your course early and make a plan.
  3. Memorize your jump numbers in case you are tested.
  4. Be ready early! Read your horse description and know what you need. Does he need a crop? Will you need to put spurs on?
  5. Watch your horse go! Look at how different riders do.
  6. In a flat class, find your own space and stick to it. Get as much time in front of the judge as possible. Don’t make weird circles or cut anyone else off. Show the judge that you know where you are in relation to the other riders.
  7. Watch everyone! If you get results, learn what the judge liked and didn’t like about each rider. For example, did the rider who won the fences class have a full seat most of the time or a light seat? What were their approaches like?
  8. Be slick when you can be! Show the judge that you really know how to ride. When you do a half circle - BEND! If your horse frames up, do it!
  9. Try your best to adjust your style to get along best with your horse. I have been in many classes where the judge has awarded first place to the rider that works the best with their horse, almost giving it a schooling ride.
  10. Have fun! You have more years to go in IEA and this is just practice for next year!
4 Likes

I did not say I don’t CARE about it, but it should not be the ONLY thing that decides placings.

Love the examples of the tests above, and I love that the judge kept the horses’ work level in mind. I do that as well. Some don’t seem to have that front and center.

2 Likes

Wow thank you for the detail! I will practice this week some lead changes, those are my weak areas.

1 Like