Unlimited access >

Zycosan replaces pentosan

I have evidently not kept up on my homework, so when I tried to renew my prescription for pentosan today, I was told that compounding pharmacies in the US are prevented from manufacturing this drug since the FDA has approved zycosan.

Dear Pharmacy Professional Letter advising pharmacies to dispense zycosan (pentosan polysulfate sodium injection) instead of unapproved drugs for equine patients | FDA

I had been receiving my pentosan from Wedgewood, at $133.75 for 250 mg/ml strength in a 50 ml bottle. They won’t fill the script anymore.

My vet said that zycosan is very expensive. I can’t find it for sale anywhere as “zycosan.” Would anyone be willing to share what they are paying and where they are getting this drug?

Thanks.

This vet clinic has it–might be worth calling them for some details about cost & ordering details?

1 Like

My vet quoted $400 for the pack of 4 single-use vials containing 7.5mL each from them. I’m told this is the loading dose.

1 Like

Wedgewood carries Zycosan, I think the price is around what wahoowa quoted.

1 Like

Gulp. I’ve got two horses on it. I think I can sell my plasma for about $50 per “donation”.

1 Like

I just came up against this myself. My vet has a place that can still has some pentosan, but for 60ml it comes to about $300+ (I was so shocked I don’t remember the exact number). I’m really not sure what I’m going to do, I’ve got 2 horses on it :dizzy_face:‍:dizzy::dizzy_face:‍:dizzy::dizzy_face:‍:dizzy::dizzy_face:‍:dizzy:

I sent you a PM :grinning:.

Wow! That’s terrible news. Seriously? Owning horses is expensive as it is… How many people can afford that?

About as disappointing as my vet telling me I am required to do a full lameness exam for $1000 before I can put my horse on any sort of preventative like Adequan or Pentosan. And if I pass on that, we could always try Equioxx…

3 Likes

Is it required or a recommendation?

The FDA strongly encourages veterinarians to use the legally marketed FDA-approved Zycosan when pentosan is indicated for use in an equine patient

1 Like

I’ve looked for pentosan in the US on various horse supply websites and compounding pharmacies, and while I haven’t been able to find “zycosan” yet, I’ve noticed that the cost has either skyrocketed, or the pentosan is “unavailable”, so something is happening out there.

2 Likes

I just saw it at Heartland for $99.95 for a 250ml bottle (4 doses).

https://www.heartlandvetsupply.com/p-6737-zycosan-pentosan-polysulfate-sodium-injection.aspx

1 Like

That is for one dose/vial. 250mg/mL, 7.5 mL - Vial

I can’t afford $100 a dose. This is insanity.

1 Like

I’ve never used it, so I could be looking for/at the wrong product…but it looks like First Choice Equine, NextGen, and Santa Cruz might have Pentosan available? I’m not sure what the standard cost is vs. what it’s listed for there.

I also checked Heartland again and it looks like they now have single dose vials (I think?) for $43.

Hopefully folks that use it find a good supplier :crossed_fingers:t2::crossed_fingers:t2:

It’s confusing because the box says it contains 4 single-use vials of 7.5mL each.

AND, the “Supplied” section says “Zycosan is supplied in cartons with each carton containing four clear glass vials with 7.5 mL (1,875 mg) of pentosan polysulfate sodium per vial.”

When I add it to my cart (I’m not ordering, just wanted to see), it says $99, not $396.

1 Like

No, that’s for a box which contains four doses.

See, I’m not entirely convinced. It’s just all VERY confusing

Allivet clearly states their $91.99 product is " *Sold as individual 7.5 ml vial."
https://www.allivet.com/product/zycosan-pentosan-polysulfate-sodium-injection-250-mg-ml-75-ml-vial/52722.html

I can’t imagine there are places selling this for 4x or 1/4 the cost of others.

I think it really is around $90-99 per 1 7.5mL vial/dose

2 Likes

It is $99 for one dose everywhere I’ve seen as well. However, it is a 4 dose series while Adequan is a 7 dose series. The Adequan 7 does is $345, Zycosan is $400. There is no indication it s still supposed to be given monthly.

Last week, I contacted my vets office because one of my guys just tweaked something and had literally a few off steps but not lame, tracking up evenly, etc. I thought well, let’s do a course of Adequan just in case. He’s an established patient and like a previous poster said- I am not paying for a $70 call fee when the clinic is 5 min away, and for a lameness evaluation and blah blah blah.

They suggested Zycoscan and said they have had a lot of success with it. I said wow, I had never heard of it and usually I am pretty up to date on things. I said I would check it out, feeling all excited at the prospect of something new.

When I got home, I was extremely disappointed to find it was pentosan. I had never had particularly good luck with it anyhow. Typical that once the FDA slapped their approval on, pentosan jumps to $100 a dose and isn’t available as a compound anymore. Lots of folks on here are adamant about FDA approved drugs so I guess it’s a double edged sword.

I ended up responded to the clinic saying that this wasn’t a new drug, I’ve used it before and I will stick with Adequan , thanks :roll_eyes:.

Sorry for those of you that use pentosan- I think it really stinks. Also remember the old PentAussie when that was all the rage??!

3 Likes

I used pentosan because it was cheaper and it worked. Now that the two are closer in price, which would everyone use over what?

2 Likes

I LOVED Pentosan. It kept my old man feeling sassy up until the day he died. Used it successfully several times on my mare then all of a sudden she had a reaction to the injection. I had to get the vet out because she couldn’t even lower her head to eat. Threw that bottle out and ordered another one and the same thing happened. I would love to try this stuff but am scared the same thing will happen and I don’t want to put her through that again.

7 Likes