Unlimited access >

2022 Foal Watch?

Congrats!!! What an adorable little girl

pony ears I knew a horse that had them, long time ago.

I have a large pony (*Rosedale Top Cat x *Cennen Sonitina - BRP x Welsh B) mare bred to Sir Wanibi (WB) for hopefully a small horse. This will be my very first breeding but the mares 3rd foal.

She was bred mid July as she didnā€™t take the first time and was rebred later on in the month. The stallion passed away a few days after she was bred for the second time, and thankfully she caught!

I still have a ways to go and the mare is a couple of hours away from me with the owner (the mare was bred by my in laws so I know her breeding well - stallion and dam both lived at my in laws). The mare just had her second pneumabort shot last month. Canā€™t wait for this foal to hit the ground! Iā€™ve been wanting a breeding like this for almost 20 years now and I was finally in the place to do so :smiley:

Picture of mare and stallion

I will be watching this thread as I love seeing all the babies and breedings!!

12 Likes

Foal #2 is here. A fancy filly by Gormley, born Feb 16 at 11pm, out of maiden mare ā€œYournā€ (Tapizar). She is super cute, with a big blaze just like her mother and three whites. She is pretty petite and a bit shy.

Foal #1, ā€œBrieā€ (Saketini - Shezagreatgal) is doing great. Now 7 weeks old, she is a TANK. She is really people oriented, and has been smart and easy.

29 Likes

Foal #3! Flashy chestnut colt by Midshipman out of Faerie Queen. We figured this one would be chromey and he didnā€™t disappoint. Thank goodness for foalert though, as this sneaky mare bagged up and dropped pH within 8hrs! She foaled outside in a corral, as she WOULD NOT stay in a stall safely the past 2 weeks.

24 Likes

Amazing that there are so many babies on the ground already, lol!!

Mine is at 258 daysā€¦ quite round and starting to act a bit more subdued (sheā€™s usually a very lively, alert, sensitive galā€¦ definitely mellowing out now, lol). Just started her on nightly alfalfa hay for the increased calcium and protein, she will start getting maternity feed as of this week as well. Sh*tā€™s gettinā€™ real!! :stuck_out_tongue:

6 Likes

Congratulations @EventerAJ! Iā€™m coming late to this thread, but Iā€™m loving the pictures and hope to see many more. :slight_smile:

Our first foal was born on Feb.4th. Sheā€™s a TB by Goldencents x Saxony (by Hard Spun) and weā€™ll be keeping her to race. Her JC name is Scribble.
2 days old:

two weeks old:

26 Likes

Iā€™m loving seeing all these babies! Itā€™s helping me kill the time while I waitā€¦and waitā€¦and wait for Arielle, who is only at 224 days today. June absolutely cannot get here soon enough for me!

Hey, @EventerAJ, you should fee free to send the chrome fairy up my way any time. Lol. Arielle has had four foals before, and, between them, they have a grand total of ONE star and ONE white pastern. The stallion sheā€™s bred to for this year is super chromey, but Iā€™m not holding my breath.

1 Like

That Goldencents filly is nice! Heā€™s such an unappreciated stallion, I think his best is yet to come.

Hereā€™s a better photo of Faerie Queenā€™s Midshipman colt. She is by Pure Prize, out of a Pleasant Colony mare, and you can definitely see she passes on the PC leg!

21 Likes

Iā€™m really enjoying seeing all the babies! My mare is 288 days along and has started acting like a pregnant mare FINALLY! @EventerAJ I love that blaze on that colt! It is really unique. Deliaā€™s time went by super fast and I was not having any issues with waiting until a couple weeks ago and it seems like time is crawling.

Such cute babies!

Iā€™m getting excited for sure. My mare is at 317 days, so it is feeling like weā€™re getting very close! Iā€™m on standby for a work trip out of the country at the moment, it could be this week or next week, or a bit later in March, and Iā€™m itching to get the dates and get it over with because I know if it ends up being in late March sheā€™ll foal as soon as I get on a plane! She is at a fantastic breeding farm with excellent care and Iā€™m not foaling her out or needed, but of course I would like to be there and see the brand new baby and not have to wait!

1 Like

I am in love with Goldencentsā€¦ What a beautiful filly. Mom looks lovely too.

Congratulations @EventerAJ ā€“ alsoā€¦ how did I not know you had rhodies?

Thanks @beowulf! I love that sire too. We also have a yearling filly by him.

@EventerAJ, I was so busy looking at your lovely foal I didnā€™t even notice the dog until beowulf pointed it out. :laughing:

1 Like

I thought I had posted pics of Cedar with the foals beforeā€¦she loves the newborns! Ridgebacks are the best farm dogs, I wouldnā€™t have anything else. :slight_smile:
In other news, Entice has hit 340 days, getting a big bag but she went to 354 last year so Iā€™m not excited yet. Prayer Bell is 335, but also has a history of going long. Ultimate Class is about 324, quite a big udder but same as last year when she went at 337. New mare Her Special Way has an impressive udder for 323, no clue of her previous foaling history. In short, sleepless nights ahead!

21 Likes

Great pictures, and good luck with the upcoming mares!

1 Like

Nice babysitter!

1 Like

Foal #4 is a colt! Very handsome dark bay by Enticed out of Entice (yes, you read that correctly!). This is one of my favorite mares, and she earned extra snacks for foaling before dark, at 5pm!

Colt is very big, a little floppy, lop eared and lax pasterns. But he is really smart, stood and nursed quickly, and despite his size is remarkably graceful getting up and down at just a few hours old.

With another 3 whites, star, snip, and white lips, the chrome fairy has been busy this year!

27 Likes

Oh my goodness heā€™s adorable! Will he be called Enticing? :joy:

Will he always be lop eared, or is that something that changes over time? Iā€™ve heard of adult lop eared horses but I know theyā€™re pretty rare.

2 Likes

Congratulations @EventerAJ! I love the double name issue. Might I build on the idea above and suggest Too Enticing? :laughing:

@equinelibrium, foals are usually born with their ears pressed back and floppy. Like lax pasterns, they usually strengthen up pretty quickly.

9 Likes

Building further on LaurieBā€™s post, may I offer ā€œCanā€™t Resistā€?

Or maybe ā€œResistance is Futileā€?

Heā€™s very nice; imagine how flashy heā€™ll be in three weeks!

Congrats @EventerAJ

1 Like