Unlimited access >

2022 Triple Crown (prep races)

Didn’t see a dedicated post for 2022 Triple Crown prep races & horses.

There’s been a few previous prep/point races already this year.
A few colts made their 3 y/o debut this weekend, hoping to earn a few points towards the KD.
While some of the expected big runners, didn’t show their best on race day.

Still a LOT of time between now & the first Saturday in May.

Any specific horses you’re keeping an eye on?

Early Voting won the Withers
White Abarrio won the Holy Bill
The Robert B Lewis was won by a BB horse (so no points)

If I owned the winner of the Robert B Lewis I would be looking for a new trainer ASAP. I can’t figure out why such owners are sticking with BB.

Early Voting looked good and got his mudder credentials.

2 Likes

I wonder whether Baffert is waiting to see what really eligible horses he has in his stable and then at the last moment plans to raise holy hell about not being able to let them participate. Raising no objection doesn’t seem to be in his usual bag of tricks.

Classic Causeway!

He was the winner of the Sam F. Davis at Tampa last weekend, and in very impressive fashion. That race was his 3 YO debut, and it left him at the top of the Derby leaderboard with 16 points. He also finished a very good second to Smile Happy in the Kentucky Jockey Club at Churchill last fall, in the last race of his 2YO season.

Notably, he is one of only 3 foals from the last crop of the late, great Giant’s Causeway. And, his trainer, Brian Lynch, is a consummate horseman who I think is wildly underrated.

2 Likes

Dang. I missed it. As a huge long time fan of GC, I was looking big forward to his first race as a 3y/o.

https://www.bloodhorse.com/horse-racing/race/usa/tam/2022/2/12/10/sam-f-davis-s-g3

Forbidden Kingdom runs away with the San Felipe

2 Likes

Simplification comes home in front.
Both jockeys & Galt & High Oak are said to be ok.

Love the way Forbidden Kingdom runs with his ears up. Reminds me of his sire.

1 Like

Hard to ignore Forbidden Kingdom as an early Derby favorite. Keep in mind trainer has said several times he can get agitated before a race and getting him to settle and relax into a race has been a focus. He broke sharp, looked relaxed and sensible demolishing the rest of the small field. Even allowed the jockey to ease him and coast under the wire. Perhaps he’s outgrown the silliness and started to act like Daddy?

Like to see one more out of him with a bigger field, crowd and more speed from others out of the gate to really get excited about him as my Derby pick.

2 Likes
1 Like

Good.
It’s pure luck that all came out relatively unharmed.

3 Likes

Classic Causeway looked great in the Tampa Bay Derby. He came out of the gate like he was fired from a gun, and just kept going. Very impressive.

1 Like

Replay

1 Like

Even though I don’t own a share, I will be rooting for Forbidden Kingdom.

4 Likes

I was amazed at how fast he popped out of the gate–he was 3/4 a length ahead a split second after the gates opened.

I was stunned at how slow the time was, but the article described an impressive maiden winning a mile race at 1:39:8. :o It went on to explain rain in the morning had affected the track, so it must have just been hecka heavy and s l o w.

1 Like

Me too, if Chasing Time doesn’t make the gate. (And honestly, I wouldn’t be crushed if he doesn’t; I’d rather see a nice 3 and 4yo season). Forbidden Kingdom was a MRH offering before I started buying shares; if I’d gotten in earlier I’d almost certainly have bought into him, as I love me some American Pharoah.

A friend of mine looked at Forbidden Kingdom as a yearling, but said he was expensive (for her budget). (She finally bought something for about $50.)

I would love to see an AP baby do well in the Triple Crown.

1 Like

I don’t have fractions in front of me from the other races, but they (TVG) did make mention of the track being “slow” that day. For what that worth IDK.

He sure fires out of the gate like a rocket!

Epicenter wins the Louisiana Derby. What a lovely horse. Set a track record with his ears pricked.
Pioneer of Medina dumped his rider before the start but came in 3rd

I wish someone would name a horse Funky Cold Medina.

3 Likes