Unlimited access >

2023 Maryland 5* at Fair Hill

While it’s not up to the numbers of Kentucky’s fan base yet, the closest hotels do book up. there is new Wolf Lodge which is the MD 5* designated hotel and apparently has a special rate for the 5*. Its a beautiful course and I think visitors/spectators will see efforts by organizers to improve the visitor/spectator experience every year - such as the addition of the hospitality tent at the Sawmill water complex - and the tickets and parking are pretty reasonable IMO.

1 Like

I would love for it to be the Prices!

3 Likes

@malarkey One thing that was tricky the first time I bought tickets was the options work differently from Kentucky. If you buy reserved seat tickets for Maryland, you don’t need general admission tickets on top of that. I clarified that with them before ordering and I think they clarified it on the website later. I bought reserved seats for Fri/Sat/Sun last year. This year I bought reserved seats for Fri/Sun and general admission for Sat just to save some $, we didn’t really use the seating much for XC day.

1 Like

I went last year for the first time and had a marvelous three days. Got to meet the fabulous @Texarkana during Ride IQ’s public course walk, which I think(???) was promoted on Eventing Nation.

Hope to meet other COTHers this year! I didn’t splash out for any reserved seating, but I will likely get a Sawmill parking pass for Saturday. Did that last year and my tired legs appreciated it at the end of the day.

2 Likes

The Sawmill area is great option for parking and I also liked that big tented bar/refreshment area down near the timberfield. I parked my tired self there waiting for the rest of my crew.

1 Like

I’ll be there vending! This will be my first time attending, I am so excited! I am hoping to sign my dog up for the corgi races too lol.

2 Likes

It is official, we are coming. Me & my girlfriend & her hubby’s brother. I am SOOOO excited!

I still can’t find info about course walks. Has anyone booked theirs already?

2 Likes

Malarkey, not sure if they’ve set up course walks yet and sometimes different organizations set them up. As far as hotels - there is a new Great Wolf Lodge in Perryville, MD which is the “official” hotel of the Maryland 5*. I think it’s about 20-30 minutes away. Here’s the info
**eat Wolf Lodge with the exclusive Maryland 5 Star spectator discount code: M5STAR

Visit the website greatwolf.com/maryland or call central reservations at 888-983-9653 and using code: M5STAR

There are some hotels closer -La Quinta and Hampton, and a couple of Holiday Inn Expresses are pretty close to the venue. It’s a beautiful course

2 Likes

I can’t find any information on it, but I’m really interested in doing it if there is one!

If it’s been a warm day at the 5*, I must recommend the UDel Creamery in Newark (20 min from FH). :grin:

Based on the last couple years, I would book a place to stay in the near future if you’re coming from out of town. There will still be options later, but fewer good ones. I’ve stayed in Newark and Elkton, both of which are very easy drives to the venue.

3 Likes

UD Homecoming is Saturday, 10/14 so this SHOULD help hotel availability. But, I also recommend the creamery!

FYI, if anyone is interested and wants to save ~$80 on tickets, if you volunteer for any shift Wednesday-Sunday you get an admissions pass for the entire event. Looks like there are still some positions you can sign up for and still get in on the action.

3 Likes

Does anyone remember how late xc ran last year? It is looking like I have a conflict on Saturday morning so I wouldn’t be able to get there until perhaps mid-afternoon - wondering if it will still be worth going or if I should just plan for Sunday instead.

Depending on the size of the field, it will probably wrap up pretty early. Last year the 5 star XC was from 2pm-4pm, and it was done before 4pm because of the small field.

2 Likes

Thank you! My non-horsey husband actually likes watching xc - and the bars along the course certainly didn’t hurt his enjoyment of the event :wink:

3 Likes

First look at 5* entries via EN

• Arielle Aharoni and Dutch Times
  • Zachary Brandt and Direct Advance
  • Buck Davidson and Sorocaima
  • Phillip Dutton and Azure
  • Mia Farley and Phelps
  • Jacob Fletcher and Fabian
  • Matt Flynn and Wizzerd
  • William Fox-Pitt and Grafennacht (GBR)
  • Emily Hamel and Corvett
  • Lillian Heard Wood and LCC Barnaby
  • Hannah Sue Hollberg and Capitol HIM
  • Erin Kanara and Campground
  • Sarah Kuhn and Mr Cash van de Start
  • Piggy March and Brookfield Cavalier Cruise (GBR)
  • Boyd Martin and Contessa
  • Boyd Martin and Luke 140
  • Andrew McConnon and Ferrie’s Cello
  • Bobby Meyerhoff and Lumumba
  • Austin O’Connor and Colorado Blue (IRL)
  • Doug Payne and Quantum Leap
  • Caroline Powell and Greenacres Special Cavalier (NZL)
  • Tim Price and Falco (NZL)
  • Jennie Saville and Twilightslastgleam
  • Lexi Scovil and Chico’s Man VDF Z
  • Booli Selmayr and Millfield Lancando
  • Sydney Solomon and Early Review C
  • Monica Spencer and Artist (NZL)
  • Oliver Townend and Cooley Rosalent (GBR)
8 Likes

I’m betting on the Prices!

1 Like

I’m very interested to see how Mia Farley is going to do. It will be her first 5* I believe!

1 Like

So are a bunch of people waiting to see how Plantation goes before committing?

Can’t wait to watch from back here in NZ - especially cheering on Monica Spencer and her OTTB Artist :heart:

3 Likes