2023 Maryland 5* at Fair Hill

If anyone wanted to rewatch today and didn’t wanna deal with the CMH and USEF Network saga, Maryland Public TV has all phases on replay for free. I assume these is specific to USA, but doesn’t seem restricted to states as I do not live in MD.

1 Like

All I can find is dressage - I’m sure it is my error, but do you have a link to xc or sj? Thank you!

Glad you hear you enjoyed your volunteer experience! If I’m able to swing an extra day off work next year, I think I will try to volunteer Thursday and get some of my friends and pony club kiddos on board with me :slight_smile:

I agree with them taking all the necessary steps to make this a world class event and also as a Marylander, you should root for the success of the event which has the potential to be a big draw for our local economy. They have done an amazing job featuring many small local vendors and I’m sure that will only get better. For what it’s worth, I have also been to Kentucky several times so I do know the standard we are trying to achieve here and do not think we are far off at this point.

3 Likes

Radnor had an event the weekend before. And the pony club often hosts h/j shows. Plantation is of course about 20 miles from Fair Hill

1 Like

They still do horse trials. The Radnor 3 Day was a really big deal in its day. Young riders would postpone college a semester to compete. It was THE goal for eventers in area 2. People would come from California in a two horse trailer. But the land became less accessible and the long format bit the dust.

5 Likes

Radnor Hunt still runs a one-day Horse Trials, BN through Modified, in October. But their big moneymaker is a vintage car concours in September.

6 Likes

I lied and spoke too soon. Can’t access 2023 XC on MPT and I am not willing to pay CMH for the archived content.

1 Like

The goal was for 100 corgis, and I think they met it. I found it more entertaining than the trot-only shetland race but I also was personally invested in the corgi race anyway.

6 Likes

A typical mass download of miscellaneous thoughts from the weekend:

I agree with this. Sinead commented that he was going to give her a heart attack, and I felt the same. Very concerning to see this type of round repeating with a second horse.

Incredible! I found the riders really demonstrative and engaging with the crowd – at least three riders fist-pumped coming out of the crab water (Monica, Bobby, and at least one other I’m forgetting at the moment), and Bobby was high-fiving the crowd as he completed the last few minutes. I think it speaks very highly of the course – the riders were clearly feeling like they had accomplished something substantial, and you don’t get that high without feeling like your horse is actively being made better for the experience – and speaks very highly of the crowd and their enthusiastic support. The closest comparison I have is the French crowds, but this crowd cheered like that for all the riders. It made me want to go on a trek to be a part of it next year!

A phenomenal round. A very game, beautifully prepared horse with a focused, competent, mature rider. You’d never have guessed they were 10 and 23 years old, both doing their first five star. All involved should be very proud.

Conversely, I am not surprised at all that the horse said no at the next fence – I wouldn’t have trusted my rider after that either. I hope this pair goes back to the drawing board.

I agree with all of the above. Similarly, I sometimes come off like an Ollie fan when I’m not, but I don’t think criticism of this ride is fair. In this case the horse simply misjudged the edge of the bank and took one step too many with her hind legs. She’s green and deserves some grace, and even with the mistake he made sure she landed in balance. As a result, that cabin could have been three strides closer without causing them a problem. He was petting and rewarding her generously throughout the round and added some time faults rather than hustling her early in her career. Horses make mistakes, and I thought he supported her through that one well. Everyone (everyhorse?) should be allowed to learn without getting castigated.

I will credit the live stream here – I, too, thought the break was a bit silly, but rather than most drag breaks where you get to watch tractors they filled the break with replays with commentary of key phases from the top of the leaderboard. I found it kept me engaged and the excitement levels high while watching from home. I thought it was going to annoy me, but in the end the flow was good.

Similar to other posters, I do also think COVID played a significant role here. We are now seeing horses at the level who would have been 7-10 when COVID happened – key development years. It makes sense that that affected the pipeline (and makes Cooley Rosalent all the more notable in her talent – 2 successful 5*s as a 9 year old!)

What a moment. When Austin said later that he’d considered giving the horse to someone who could have ridden it better, I thought of this. I’m sure Austin think that blip proves his point, but I think it proves the opposite – horses handle moments like that because they have faith in the partnership. Colorado Blue did what he did because he did it with Austin.

100% agreed. The cross country course was spectacular, and I think it’s really found its niche – big, imposing, very old-school questions (LOVED the sunken road) that rewards forward riding and brave horses. It’s very classic without being punishing, which is such a difficult needle to thread. The time was spot-on, and I think Ian deserves a lot more credit for getting it right this year after all the flack he caught for getting it wrong. All three phases were properly influential, and the cream rose to the top to give us a proper three-phase event horse as our winner. The progress made in three years has been monumental, and the work that must have gone into that should be recognized by all. I can’t wait to attend in person!

As Willesdon said, “more and more trainers actually do better basic training on their animals”. I ride an OTTB, and she was beautifully produced by her track connections. It took me years to ride her as well as they did. She has been one of the soundest horses in the barn over more than five years of ownership. While she doesn’t event at 5* (she certainly does not have a 5* rider!) she works hard at the early upper levels and handles it beautifully. She is not an anomaly. I would recommend an OTTB to any amateur looking for a game, safe partner in serious eventing. I don’t have the time alongside my day job to get one of those 40% blood horses fit, and I rely on her intelligence and athleticism when I make the inevitable mistake. In a barn full of five and six figure horses, I have never, ever regretted my choice. I’m not being romantic – that’s really my everyday experience.

….at the end of the day, isn’t this what it’s all about? My favourite post from the weekend :slight_smile:

30 Likes

This is something my barn group was talking about Saturday night - Ian got a lot of flack and we were worried what someone would complain about this time. The ground was lovely especially considering how dry this summer was*, the questions seemed a fair mix of challenge and moderate, it was a challenging course good for the end of the season, etc. There were some riders we were rather concerned about but it didn’t reward unsafe riding. I heard a rumor that Ian is retiring after next year, curious who will take over, assuming the contract is renewed.

*We got a kick out of watching the grounds crew at the crabs fastidiously checking on the ground. David made good use of his rubber boots checking the footing all around complex, that water looked kind of chilly with the wind blowing across.

2 Likes

I will preface with the fact that Fair Hill is pretty much my home and I would still prefer that the 5* had never come to Fair Hill but…
My niece really wanted to go watch last year so we went (and this year too). I thought there were some good improvements from last year- esp having more food trucks and the water bottle refill station and it definitely felt like there were more spectators there. I thought it seemed like there were a few more vendors than last year too. Although I miss the more local vendors/ artisans that used to set up at the 4*.
And a random- kudos to you for all the women who were wearing the I event uniform of jeans or leggings and Dubarrys (or similar) IDK how you can walk around all day up and down those hills in boots like that lol :rofl:

3 Likes

It definitely filled as there were folks that couldn’t get their corgis in before they hit the magic number of entries. But, regardless, the corgi races were fun. I missed the finals and the Shetland trot races.

Dont give up on the MPT reruns, it always seems like there is a day or two delay before the rerun shows up, Right now you can watch the dressage rerun, but it is critical timing as magically rerun shows tend to get listed in MPT “passport” where you have to pay to watch if too much time passes.

As for Thoroughbreds, I thought I had heard Phelps (Tiznow) had never run, but I thought I heard Buck Davidson’s horse ran 60 times, did I hear that correctly ( a real warhorse??).
(Corrected, I found his record,43 times-so still a war horse!)

2 Likes

Not a rumour, he has openly stated it in interviews, Maryland 24 will be his last event

It’s too bad, I feel like he is a course designer who genuinely cares about making it fair for the horses (if terrifying for the riders!) In one interview he stated he still wanted the time attainable bc otherwise the horse is never not under pressure

7 Likes

Oh, that’s too bad. I hate to hear it. He really does seem to design courses that are good and fair for the horses unlike some that need not be mentioned here. and that make the riders think.

I wore my skinny jeans and Dubarry’s for Show Jumping yesterday. Xc I used my AWESOME Muck Boot Company Zip up fully waterproof boots. https://www.muckbootcompany.com/muck-apex-mid-zip-womens-8-inch-waterproof-5mm-ne/AXWZ101.html

4th time I have worn them since hubby got them for me in 2017 LOL :wink:

Em

3 Likes

The thoroughbreds of today are nothing like the TBs I grew up with. The level of unsoundness both inherent in the breed and how they are raised and prepped now is mind blowing. As a long time TB industry person, there are certain farms I’d buy from and many I wouldn’t touch. Certain lines I’ve seen that are iron horses and some that break down with any pressure at all. It’s a sorry state of affairs and it pays to cultivate contacts and knowledge

6 Likes

I watched the entire 3* replay with no issues using my $25 USEF membership. I also watched the 5* cross country and the SJ live, with no issues. I wonder why you and @chancellor2 (and others) had such problems. Could it be a geographical thing?

I thought the event was great fun to watch, it looked like people were really enjoying themselves. I would definitely attend if I didn’t live so far away.

The commentary was good. Sinead has really grown as a commentator (she used to babble on a bit) she and Spencer seem to genuinely like each other and both have a serious interest in the horses and riders as well as a good sense of humor.

The Corgi races were hysterical. It thought it was great that there were so many Corgis that they had to limit the entries.

Hats off to everyone who made the Maryland Event such a success.

7 Likes

It seems like jousting would be a good addition for entertainment purposes since it’s the state sport.

13 Likes

My phone says I walked over 8 miles on Saturday. In my very well-loved country boots and my excellent hiking socks.

(But I did spend some time explaining my footwear to some sweet old man at a vendor booth. He was all “What are these boots that everyone seems to have? How do you all know to show up wearing the exact same thing?” :rofl:)

29 Likes