2023 Maryland 5* at Fair Hill

@AllTheCarrots: What are they like and what is the attraction to them? They certainly are everywhere and I have a couple Dubarry’s tweed items so I’m a fan of the brand in that sense. I guess I just need to try a pair on and see what they are like, but what inspired you to buy them and what do you like about them?

I am the Queen of Wellies. Honestly, I have no less than 3 pairs at any given moment in the boot of my car! I was thinking of upgrading to something a bit more stylish.

I know I am in the minority but I am not a fan of my Dubarry’s. They look nice but are just not comfortable at all for me. I wore them on Friday because I knew I was going to be at the boutique the whole day but opted for something with a better footbed for cross country day. I wouldn’t buy them again but at this rate mine will last forever anyway since I only wear them a few times per year

6 Likes

Thanks for your input! I must say, the footbed is the thing I’m looking to upgrade as my Wellies are basic (Hunters, etc.) and for long days afoot, like XC day, I thought I should look for something better for my feet.

I can’t get them on! I had a discount code and, armed with this, I went to try on boots at a Dubarry stand at a show. I couldn’t physically get my foot into the foot of the boot: something about the cut/angle. Not a problem I’ve had before. So try before you buy.

ETA The quality of Hunter wellies has severely declined, with the result that UK tack, outdoor, shooting stores don’t stock them anymore and they are now fashion/urban/festival wear.

6 Likes

Oh, that’s bad for me. I have the highest arches in the known world. I always had to get field boots b/c my instep is so high I can’t get round the corner!! Now that tall boots have zips I can get actual dress boots.

Good to know about Hunters. Never had them when I was young b/c - too poor! I always had some off-brand ones. My current Hunters are maybe 10-15 years old. I got the wooly insoles for them and that helps a bit at least my feet don’t freeze in the winter. But I don’t think they have the footbed/support for a long day of walk about. I’d like to find some tall boots for that kind of use, not just hiking boots. I do have hikers I love but then I inevitably want wade into or across some water and wish I had wellies or tall boots of some type.

2 Likes

I was so disappointed to see Hunter had discontinued their field line when I went to replace my last pair. I bought a pair of country boots instead, but went with the Mountain Horse version instead of the Dublin/Dubarry route since the reviews on those weren’t great. They’re comfortable and have enough support that I can walk around in them all day with no problem. I do miss my Hunters though.

I need boot jacks to get my Dubarrys on! I do like them but truth be told they are not the most comfortable in the world.

I bought a pair of these this past year in Lexington whilst there for Landrover to have something to change in to and I’d been wanting hiking boots anyway. I’ve been using them at horse shows when walking the dewey xc courses and they are super comfy and waterproof.

ETA: I just re-read and see you were not looking for just hiking boots. oops! :slight_smile:

3 Likes

I have the same problem with not being able to bend my foot to pull them on and ended up with the Shires country boots that have zippers and are extremely comfortable. I wear them to walk cross country in damp grass and they stay pretty dry. If you’re wading though and can’t stand rubber boots, I recommend the taller muck boots.

1 Like

@FitzE, mine are a pair of Tuffrider knockoffs bought secondhand, so same style but much gentler in price than Dubarry’s country boots. At this point, they are so well broken in, they feel like slippers. I also have high arches, and my feet slide right in.

I like that they provide more insulation than my wellies and Bean duck boots (the latter usually my barn chore footwear of choice). They keep the wet out, and I can just hose them off if they get really muddy or gunky. They cover my lower leg, so I can ride in them, and the tops are roomy enough that I can wear them with jeans, etc., not just breeches. Plus, not having to swap between barn boot and riding boot keeps my feet warm in the winter.

I originally bought them with the intention of using them as public-facing footwear. But they quickly got co-opted for barn use. (Which of course meant I had to buy another pair for funsies — ask me about my Newmarket-style boots with the Baker plaid sides!)

3 Likes

Oooooo, I will ask you about you Newmarkets please!!

And thanks for the Tuffrider info.

I went to one of those places that does a 3-D model of your foot (for runners, not horse-related) and they were like, that’s the highest instep we’ve even seen. :weary: Explained why I was never able to have proper field boots my whole life.

2 Likes

Mine look like this:

I think they are discontinued now, but with some searching you can likely find something similar. Happy hunting!

3 Likes

Alas the 5* coincides with the season closer of the Maryland Renaissance Festival, so we might be short on jousting people :slight_smile: My other hobby is Renaissance Festivals (really I enjoy drinking in costumes) though PA Ren Faire is my home faire, I keep up on all the local ones.

2 Likes

Are the people who do the Ren Faire jousting the same ones that do the ring jousting? I thought (and I really could be 100% off on this lol) that it was totally separate groups?

I agree I don’t think they’re comfortable at all. I wore my Dublins which have always been super comfy except apparently the insole decided to die mid way through the walk down from crab water and I ended up with the biggest f’ing blister on the sole of my foot. Still not getting rid of them, but going to buy new inserts!

Oh I actually have no idea! I made assumptions, probably shouldn’t have.

Now I have a rabbit hole to go down haha- jousting cross over in MD, is it a thing? :rofl: :rofl: :rofl:

I think they’re pretty much separate. My college roommate and her husband do the Ren Faire (both MD and VA) but don’t do the rings at all.

1 Like

LOL, I wore my Penelope Chilvers boots and they were perfectly comfy for all the walking! Two years ago I wore my Dubarry boots and my legs were pretty sore after.

Any Ariat boot is going to have the foot bed you want and need for walking around all day. I switched back and forth between 2 different Ariat boots over the 4 days and my feet never even got tired!

Edited to add my favorites:

Short but super ankle support: Ariat Anthem Round Toe Lacer Waterproof Boots
Tall but comfy, easy to slip on and off: ARIAT ENGLISH COUNTRY BOOT, WOMEN’S GRASMERE PRO GTX, BLACK
Winter warm: Coniston Max Waterproof Insulated Boot

5 Likes

The Hunter Balmoral line is the only one (Hunter) worth having.