2023 Maryland 5* at Fair Hill

Where my farm is one must have wellies to hand at all times. I’m serious when I say there are never less than 3 pairs in the boot. Always.

Shorties for a quick pull on if you happen to have nice shoes on or even just runners that aren’t water/muck proof, usually the hunters, and then my absolute favs for spur of the moment: Japanese bird watching society packable wellies. They are awesome, cheap, you can get wooly insoles, and the roll down and fit in a wee bag. I love them so much I bring them home as gifts!

2 Likes

I didn’t get to the MD Ren Faire this year. (The day we had tickets for was the day they cancelled because of the rain storm, and when we tried to get tickets for a later weekend they were all sold out.) But I have been most years for the last 30 years. (My husband was an actor there in the mid 90s. He played Lord Cloverdale.)

The jousting at the Ren Faire (both the current group and the former group) is mostly a simulation of medieval jousting with two “knights” charging at each other with lances. The tips of the lances are designed to break off if they get a solid hit. They sometimes do a single run spearing relatively large rings along the sides of the arena.

But it is nothing like the “MD state sport” of ring jousting (which I have only seen once in person), in which each competitor makes multiple runs, with the rings getting smaller with each round.

There might be some crossover, but even if there is, I doubt that it would make a significant difference in the turnout for ring jousting. I just checked the MD Jousting web site (http://marylandjousting.com/ ) and they have plenty of tournaments during the run of the Ren Faire.

Yes I know the difference- was just pondering.
I actually have done ring jousting before- it’s fun but really hard

1 Like

Phelps, Artist and Sorocaima are all off the track Thoroughbreds - 2 are American bred, all three were in the top 10. Five entries, nearly a fifth of the field were Thoroughbreds. The Thoroughbred is still very relevant and capable of success in this sport. I think there is an underwhelming understanding of soundness and an overwhelming number of of people who are misguided.

I couldn’t agree more! I think cross country was a real, well-thought test and I think Ian did exactly what he set out to do and put Maryland on the map as a noteworthy 5*.

19 Likes

Do you find them comfortable? I know people who can walk a course in them, but I absolutely cannot - heavy, clunky, no foot support, etc. At this point I just get my feet wet in sneakers or short boots and switch to a dry pair after I’ve walked.

I was going to ask for recommendations and then you posted this. What are the Japanese wellies? Where do you get them?? Is that a brand name or a general style? I have never seen those before but a quick Google proves fascinating.

1 Like

I use the Noble Equestrian Muds Waterproof, warm in winter and cool in summer. I typically get about 3 years of daily wear before the neoprene cracks and they aren’t waterproof. My husband gets about the same usage and he’s downright abusive to his footwear. I just have the tall ones. They have spur rests but are too bulky for riding. They are fairly comfortable. If boots are too heavy or don’t have a good instep then I get shin sprints really bad and am crippled. I save my country boots for course walking and errand running. I use Ariat Terrains for daily riding because I can go right from mucking to riding. I just took my terrains on a hiking trip to Hocking Hills and they were great.

https://www.doversaddlery.com/ne-prfct-fit-all-seasn-high-bt/p/X1-381391/

I’ve never seen anyone doing any actual choring in Hunters

2 Likes

I’ve tried on several styles of Noble footwear, and the instep is in entirely the wrong place for my feet.
Fortunately both Muck boots and Boggs are comfortable.
And as mentioned, Ariat terrains.

4 Likes

Very good points here. Great to see an Irishman win it, but 15- 25 in the jump phases vs the outlay of capital to even break even at a five star? Not financially viable for the long term

I attended on Saturday. It was my first time seeing a 5* and my first time at this venue.
Overall, it was really nice and I’ll be back next year. The large screens around the course to watch the action when you couldn’t see it was nice. There seemed to be ample seating and a TON of vendors. The parking was easy too.

I do have a few complaints though. The biggest complaint was absolutely no one knew where the shuttles were. We must have asked 10 different people working the event and no one knew. I could see the approximate area on the map that they should be, but the property is MASSIVE and there was very little signage as to where to go. That’s difficult when you have people with you who can’t walk far easily. We actually never found a shuttle, which was disappointing for my mom who really wanted to go see the crab jump.

Second complaint is they put some of the food vendors way, way off of the walkway down a hill in an area that wasn’t handicap accessible.

So, basically I am just complaining from a handicap accessible standpoint. I think that could be improved.

9 Likes

I think they made their money on spectators. The place was pretty well packed on Saturday and it was a $30 per person ticket price. Plus they probably charge the vendors a % of sales.

Has anyone heard how many were in attendance Saturday? I mainly stayed in the Sawmill field all afternoon and I didn’t think it seemed overly crowded. I never had an issue being able to see a jump except maybe at the crab water…but still then I only had to wait 2 riders before I was able to get a front row spot. Bleachers at the corners were pretty bare and never had to wait in a line for a bathroom.

Not sure how busy other parts of the course were.

Regarding fashion. I always get a chuckle out of the people walking around in their riding britches and Dubarry boots as if someone is going to ask them to ride the horse around the XC course.

17 Likes

I wouldn’t do this as I would have traveled many hours and stayed in a hotel overnight to be in attendance, but if I lived locally I would- I would probably be coming from the barn/going to the barn after. Or they’re just comfortable, my mom often wears her riding pants to groom/watch me at shows. This seems normal to me.

5 Likes

There are definitely some actual just came from the barn people but there are plenty dolled up in spotless breeches, full makeup etc that are clearly stating- hey I ride too. I don’t care what people wear but it is a little amusing :slight_smile:

11 Likes

OMG I was literally complaining about this the whole day :laughing: I saw people in tall riding boots too! Do you think one of the riders is going to fall ill and ask you to ride?
I understand riding tights because it’s a long walk and my riding pants are more comfy than a lot of yoga pants. But riding boots?

5 Likes

Im not sure but from what I could tell the bleachers at the main water complex were full. I wandered back between the sunken road and the magnawave obstacles and there were a lot of people near the magnawave area (at least a few hundred) and probably 50ish near the sunken road.
Plus a lot of people just stayed up in the vendor village and drank and watched the screens. I’d consider it a good turnout.

1 Like

That’s funny because Ariat is generally the wrong shape for my foot. I guess that’s why we have options!

1 Like

Agree! I have to replace every year as they spring a leak regularly! So annoying! I started to glue the separated seams - so they last a bit longer …. But really, should not happen!

1 Like

I never understand this either!! I try to tell myself they just came from the barn. But you would not catch me walking around in my tall boots all day.

2 Likes

I now have “L’aigle” much-too-expensive wellies because I follow Basset hounds in them during the winter months. The boots are comfortable and are holding up very well after three years. The other serious wellies are “Le Chemeau”. A certain French theme running here.

3 Likes