Unlimited access >

27 vs 29 ft Trailer - Will I Notice a Difference?

Just saw the post about DEF, and I have never filled mine with anything other than bulk DEF at a truck stop. I have never had any issues filling it that way. I have a 2016 RAM 3500 that takes about 7 gallons.

1 Like

OP, what did you end up doing?

I’m used to pulling an older Exiss 3-horse trailer (not LQ) which I think is about 27 feet total length nose to end. This year, I bought a living quarters which is 43 feet long.

My two trailers sitting next to each other for size comparison.

Yeah, the bigger one felt huge (and still does sometimes) but I get more comfortable each time I pull it. You will get used to whatever you buy. I mostly use my LQ for overnight trips, for obvious reasons. I haven’t regretted the size at all. I love it. But I ordered it exactly how I wanted it. I’m the type of person that I will make sure I leave early if I am going somewhere new so that I’ll get good pick of the parking spots. If it’s a familiar race with ample parking, then it doesn’t matter too much. Haven’t had any trouble filling diesel. Most of the stations that I use have a spot for “light trucks” on the semi side, and I’m learning about the secret codes (you just make one up) and ghost pumps. :+1: My FIL used to be a trucker - I should probably just ask him all the tricks, LOL.

And I’ve kept my smaller trailer for vet, farrier, close shows, etc.

1 Like

@beau159 do tell about the ghost pump please! And secret codes!

1 Like

Me. 3h merhow with 8’ lq, 25 ish feet plus the nose.

I would dread going any longer. It’s a lot of trailer. I am comfortable pulling and backing it ( my home parking situation always earns a hand shake from visiting workers who congratulate my husband, who immediately points to me lol).

4 Likes

Rather than relying solely on anecdotal accounts, since few of us have multiple trailers of different lengths we can compare, try this.

Look on line and find a truck and trailer turning radius calculator. There are quite a few of them. Plug in information about your truck, and then run what-ifs with varying trailers. Compare that data particularly with the turns you will need to make in and out of your farm and barn.

You might find the extra 2 feet a deal breaker, or the opposite. And if you use the road shoulder on the opposite side of your driveway to set up your turns now, try calculating without that comfort zone. Someday it may not be available due to weather, fencing, or some other unforeseen circumstance.

2 Likes

LOL, well I learned the ghost pump is so that semi trucks can fill tanks on BOTH sides of their truck at the same time. So my experience this year, my tank is on the driver side. I pull into a spot at a truck stop. The diesel pump on the driver side has just the pump … but no place to put your credit card, no numbers, anything. So what you do, is go to the pump on the passenger side. Because that’s where the credit card machine is. When you input your info, you just lift that pump out and lay that one on the ground, since you don’t need it. Then go back to the driver side and now you can fill your tank. When done, replace the pump, then walk around to the other side and replace that pump too (that you had on the ground). And then you’re done.

I hadn’t a clue when I pulled in to one of these for the first time. I had to go inside and ask. And then a friendly trucker helped me figure it out outside. Different for sure!! But I see the purpose.

For the code, usually it asks for mileage (which I guesstimate) and then it asks for a DOT number or something. I make something up, usually 12345 or something like that. The very first time I filled at a place like that, I had to go inside and ask. The attendant told me to do it that way. I think it’s just more for actual truckers to fill out their logs and such.

I also learned to pick Reefer or Tractor, LOL. Hadn’t heard of that either and had no clue what was what. (Maybe it doesn’t matter.)

So many new things on the semi side. :rofl: Since my trailer is 43 feet long, often times I can’t fit on the car side and have to go to the semi side. But it just depends on the station. The harder part for me has been finding gas stations that also have RV dumps!! Those seem to be few and far between.

3 Likes

I haven’t ordered yet, but I’m on the verge. I think I’m going to go with the larger trailer. We do have a smaller one to use if we’re going someplace tight, but I think for the majority of our trips, we’ll appreciate the extra living space. We’re also the type to go early and get a good spot.

I was today years old when I learned this was a thing. What a great idea! Thanks.

Now THAT’s a trailer, daaaaang.

2 Likes

Yeah, that thing is serious, Beau! :+1:t4:

I’m looking at the SMC Laramie. 15ft short wall. It has everything I need, and plenty of space. It’s not a top of the line brand, but I’m not going to use it enough to justify spending top of the line money, realistically.

Buying new so I can order it without mangers and with a generator installed.

2 Likes

It has stairs??? To what?

loft bed, looks like that’s the gooseneck

1 Like

Those are to help you ascend to new levels of poverty. You climb up there to contemplate your life choices once the payments come due. :rofl:

But for real, I wanted one with stairs because I have a velcro dog who wants to sleep in or near the bed. Plus I don’t want to fall out of the gooseneck during a 3am bathroom trip.

This is basically the Taj Mahal for me after years of tenting it and/or setting up cots in the back of my two horse bumper pull. I am really looking forward to such luxuries as insulation, climate control, and not having a tent collapse on my head from the weight of an overnight snowfall.

Here’s a video walk through: https://youtu.be/e-5-wq2DrFE

5 Likes

What a nice rig! Congrats!!

1 Like

Thank you kindly! :slight_smile: I think I’m pretty much done deciding on options. Will probably order it next week sometime. If all goes well with the supply chain, I’ll have it in time for 2023 camping.

1 Like

I believe that is a sister company to Lakota, which is what my trailer is.

Looks like you are making a beautiful choice!!

You will LOVE the stairs. Mine has the layout with the couch there and the stairs and it works really well. Just no slide out. Since my layout is smaller, we just have a table we put up and take down.

It’s my dream trailer. I love it!!!

1 Like

Do you live someplace with wide-open spaces? I can only think of two barns this rig could fit into in my area, well three including the fairgrounds… we are so land-cramped here, most of us have short driveways close to the road and fences on either side.

This is exactly what I want!

https://www.kiperts.com/New-Inventory-2023-4-Star-Trailers-Cargo-Trailer-Straight-Load-Gooseneck-Runabout-2-1-Horse-4-Star-Trailers-Gooseneck-Straight-Load-Trailers-kiperts-12916998?ref=list

1 Like

That is a good price for such a trailer these days. Do you have any idea about availability / wait times? I see this one is in inventory now, but around me it would not last very long sitting on a dealership lot.

1 Like

Yes, I’m in the Midwest. Open space is the norm, although this rig will be too big for a few of the trailheads. Luckily my friend has a 2+1 that we will use for day trips. It’s very similar to the one you posted, actually. We used it all last year, and it’s a fantastic, functional floor plan. Maneuverable, very nice to load and unload, plus super easy to pick up unbroke horses you don’t trust to tie.

I knew I wanted big living quarters, otherwise I would have loved a 2+1. Unfortunately it just would have made the floor length obscene.

1 Like

Is this to me? Yeah I agree it’s an amazing price, but still out of my budget - I need to pay off my car or my truck first.