Unlimited access >

27 vs 29 ft Trailer - Will I Notice a Difference?

I’ll up the ante with my ATV+ spreader horror. We have this 6" extension that’s bolted into the existing drop pin hitch on the ATV. It gives the needed clearance for rear basket on the ATV and also it’s got a ball-joint thingy that makes for less stress on the trail cutter mower frame when we’re pulling that with the ATV. Well, that 6" extension will freely rotate on its bolt, up to 90deg left or right. So it’ll be straight / parallel with the trailer arm as you’re driving forward, but once you start backing up, it gets pushed 90deg one way or the other. So now you’re trying to back up the already-squirrely manure spreader with an unpredictable offset. It’s aMAZing how much that 6" offset completely screws up your angles.

Combine this with big ATV handlebars that are hard to turn unless you’re actually moving, and let me tell you new forms of profanity get invented here on the regular.

1 Like

We used an old fertilizer wagon for diesel and it had that kind of goofy front axle setup.
It was practically impossible to back up straight.
I turned the back and front axle bolt on one side upside down and welded a big washer on each end of a pipe so it fit over both bolts when the wagon was straight.
When backing, now that front axle was tied to the back one and you could back it any place with ease.
See if you may do something similar, fix front and back straight on one side and then you can back it, then take the connector off to keep driving forward and around turns.

Hope that makes sense.

1 Like

Oooh, I feel you on the handlebar thing, mine is a Polaris 500 with independent suspension. That rat bastard is designed to be tough, it’s also designed to be tough on your arms at any low speeds. But just f*** no on the hitch having it’s own movement.

2 Likes