Unlimited access >

4,000 Beagles will be looking for new homes . .

A friend adopted two lab beagles and posts about them a lot on social media. It sounds like it did take a lot of work to get them over ptsd but they’ve become great dogs who really enjoy their new life.

3 Likes

Adorable!!!

Ok, link not working, ABC News story on the Beagles…

" Over 4,000 beagles to be released from Virginia facility

The Department of Justice has announced more than 4,000 beagles, bred for research purposes, will be released from a facility in Virginia because of inhumane treatment."

I’ve had two beagles and they both had anxiety from different types of situations. The one I have now spent most of his time in a cage before he came to me at age 2. I don’t use crates so it never occurred to me that he would need to transition slowly from cage to run of the house. I just let him loose in the house with the other dog and it resulted in serious sensory overload, which led to major anxiety before I figured out the problem. It took several months to undo the damage I had done. 10 years later he still has the occasional anxiety attack. I think these sweet beagles will need careful integration into the world as the breed seems to be very emotionally sensitive.

1 Like

I think most if not all animals transitioning need more time than we give them to adjust and “exhale”. By that I mean show their true personality. I think the dog you see on day three is quite a bit different from the dog at three weeks, three months, and six months and too often people don’t recognise that.

The rescue I got my present Beagle from uses foster homes exclusively, and its such an advantage for everyone, as the dogs get time to exhale in a safe nurturing environment.
Without that, the person adopting the dog needs to be that transition home, and allow them time to decompress and blossom, before they write in stone who and how the dog is.

From the video I see, and the Beagles I’ve known, these doggos look very similar; sweet, friendly, playful,… And “oh my gosh” cute!

Nothing cuter than a beagle pup…

1 Like

I hope the groups fostering/adopting are screening applicants to weed out the idiots whose first thought is “WE CAN BREED PUGGLES!!!” Or whatever “designer” mix with a vomitably cute name.

My grandmother had a beagle named Clyde and he was my first dog experience. Sweet and laid back. I loved that dog.

The rescues by me are neutering and spaying all the sweet little beagles as a condition.

I’m hoping that with all the attention they are getting that other dogs available for adoption get some looks as well.

5 Likes

Oh my…
https://lm.facebook.com/l.php?u=https%3A%2F%2Fwjla.com%2Fnews%2Flocal%2Fvirginia-beagle-dc-foster-care-facility-lucky-dog-animal-rescue-pet-adoption-beagles-rescued-virginia-breeding-facility-envigo-cumberland-operation-homeland-trails-donations-4000-photos&h=AT15EOpynU8iqsmS9UHZ8nhlRbS3fPkkOTVXiDAd5k01RmUPQsJHiHG0cSJQKwnH2h2T4Ct867gRvTrTEJvNk4Mj9KSfpwhptyQewvv2gxVoylB9VA_v_ieGdJx6AStC4Q

1 Like

Puppies!!

2 Likes

Can’t see how he can resist adopting one or two of those puppies and/or mom. Cute!

1 Like

Not to be an enabler or anything, but here’s a link to the partners around the country that will have Beagles for adoption…

2 Likes

1 Like

Puppies!!!

2 Likes

Triangle Beagle Rescue in NC took 200 or so. It’s a great thing, of course, but…

As soon as it was announced that the rescue was taking Envigo beagles, fosters and adopters came out of the woodwork. They had more applications than beagles. The rescue was completely overwhelmed.

Where are all these well-meaning people on a regular basis? The local shelter here is full to the gills and euthanizing for space almost every day…and there are frequently beagles there.

4 Likes

Most shelters in my area are filled to the brim with pits and Pitt mixes and larger dogs. I don’t blame people for not rushing forward.

It’s the same in my area when the shelter gets a smaller cute dog though. 50 applications for anything that resembles a lap dog.

1 Like

People want “famous” dogs to adopt so they can tell friends, family and social media about their celebrity pet.

4 Likes

Damn, and here I am with my apparently lowly criteria, which is whether or not the dog is a good fit for me and my lifestyle.

I would love a beagle. But they’re known to be diggers and escape artists. The former wouldn’t bother me (landscaping? What’s that?). We have a good privacy fence but it was not designed to keep a determined dog from digging out.

For those living in the northwest:

2 Likes

My friend adopted one, she picks her up next week. I’m so excited, she’s adorable.
The rescue just today shared about four adoptions of other dogs, so perhaps an influx of applications will benefit other breeds at the rescues.

Mara, none of mine have been diggers, but then they don’t get left outside alone either (coyotes, etc).

2 Likes