Unlimited access >

4 truths and a lie!

Yes, my husband and I spent our honeymoon on a riding trek i Mogolia. It was awesome.

4 Likes

Iā€™m surprised you havenā€™t managed a fox trotter yet. At my new barn (where Iā€™m leasing), gaited horses of all stripes are very much in demand, and the gaits can be very nice to sit.

Actually, I had friends in southern California who had not one, but two Akhal-tekes. But that was the lie, because after watching me ride MY horse, they never offered for me to ride one of their horses.

My sisterā€™s first horse (at 12 years old) was a crazy Saddlebred mare that the local cowboy told my Dad, ā€œSheā€™ll kill your kids.ā€ Well, that was a good enough recommendation to him: he bought her the next day and gifted her to my sister. So, unfortunately, I have ridden a (crazy, no good, very bad) Saddlebred many a day.

Showing further sterling judgement, my Dad bought me a 9 month old welsh cross. (I was 9 or 10). I had that poor thing saddle broke by his first birthday and rode him all over town and in lessons when he was 2. Good thing they are sturdy.

3 Likes

Moonlitoaks: Percheron
Equikelly: Standardbred-APHA cross
Old_Mac: Icelandic

1 Like

Mine:

Morgan
Fjord
Appaloosa
MFT
TWH

When I asked pure Arabs and a 7/8 Arab to gait they all gave me a fox trot, but nowhere near the gait of a Missouri Fox Trotter. There was a certain little hitch going into a trot that inspired me to try, but that little hitch does not mean the horse will gait.

But when I get on a truly gaited horse lately (last one was a TWH) I have found that their gait really irritated my hip bursitis. Plus I find that I have to move my seat much more with any gait than I do to sit the trot, which means it is not as restful for me.

I find that I prefer a WTC horse, even after owning a pretty smooth gaited Paso Fino mare for over 20 years. I get SO BORED riding a gaited horse after a short while.

Clydesdale
Morgan
Thoroughbred
Quarter horse
Appaloosa

Yeah, Iā€™m riding both at the moment. Walker for trail riding and WTC horse for arena work. I tried some arena work on the Walker, and boy, we donā€™t know the same signals. Legs were flying everywhere, both his and mine. :slight_smile:

The main intro gal at my barn swears by them, and has gathered a group of about 12 at this one little barn. Other barns donā€™t have a single gaited horse. Sheā€™s now got a paso who just dances in place, going nowhere fast, and you can see that the riderā€™s rump simply doesnā€™t move. This gal had some back surgery some years back and swears by walkers. I can take 'em or leave 'em. (My hips didnā€™t appreciate them at first either, but have grown more accustomed).

Spuds: Iā€™m gonna say Morgan
Candyapple: thatā€™s a tough list. I say Thoroughbred.

Well done!

1 Like

Nope. When I worked as a wrangler, I had to bring in a few big boys. Luke and Alex were a beautiful team of matching blacks. It was a loooooong walk out to find them in the pasture. I haltered them, brought one close enough to fencepost to scramble on bareback, and led the other. :slight_smile:

@Spudsmyguy MFT?
@candyappy Morgan?

Dang it, I donā€™t think Iā€™ve got one right yet. Maybe this isnā€™t such a ā€œfunā€ gameā€¦ grump grump grump

1 Like

Belgian
Friesian
Andalusian
Arabian
Percheron

Sadly this was a real one too.

Moonlitoaks - Nope! Guess again!
Aregard - Nope!

That should narrow it down a little.

Morgan
Arabian
Saddlebred
Paso Fino
Thoroughbred

1 Like

JBCool, youā€™ve got the -ians going on, so Iā€™m going to pick the only one that isnā€™t (but might as well be): Percheron.

nfl212 - no fair! We havenā€™t seen you post ANYTHING yet. Iā€™m going to sayā€¦Morgan.

1 Like

I only guess once, so someone else is going to have to come up with it.

Iā€™ll play!

Hmmm,

@sophie, you need 5! Iā€™ll say Selle Francais because who just throws Icelandic into the mix?
@JBCool , Andalusian. If not that Iā€™ll say Percheron but my first guess is Andalusian.
@candyappy , Iā€™m also going to say TB. If not, I say Morgan but my first guess is TB.
@Spudsmyguy , Iā€™m going to say Appaloosa.
@moonlitoaksranch TWH. Did you really ride a standardbred? That is so random (since they drive) that I think it is true.

I sayā€¦ Saddlebred.