Unlimited access >

4 truths and a lie!

Here’s my list:

Appaloosa
Mustang
Westfalen
Welsh Cob
Arabian

J-lu, you got me! I rode an Australian Standardbred at a farm in Guam when I was stationed there. The horses on the island came from odd places, but Australia was closest. The trainer was a Navy wife who was a Grand Prix level trainer whose first husband had passed away. Neat lady! She taught a few island horses, of unknown breeding, advanced dressage moves. She found a few that had lovely builds, even though they were little, trained them herself, and even bred a little. The Standardbred was a good lesson horse for beginners like me. I learned to jump and a little dressage on him (yes, he cantered). I never saw him pace, so he must have been bred for trotting. I thought it was amusing that a Standardbred was doing dressage, but I might be mistaken. I didn’t keep up with dressage and jumping when I got back to the States, but it was awesome for my horsey fix overseas.

1 Like

Oh right, I need 5! @J-Lu I did ride many Selle Français when growing up :slight_smile:
From that list above, it was QH.
New list:

Thoroughbred
Hanoverian
Anglo-Arab
Haflinger
Merens

I will guess…Welsh Cob.

Paso Fino? (Only because they seem such an outlandish breed to me lol)

J-Lu, nope! I’ve owned four of them. Have one in my yard right now.

J-Lu, I guess Morgan

J-Lu, I’m going to guess Welsh Cob for you as well.

So, currently a horseless equestrian and I don’t post on here regularly enough for anyone to know much about me, but I’ll have a bit of fun and do this!

Trakehner
Thoroughbred
Quarter Horse
Grade horse
Mule

Side-note: I grew up riding at a sketchy backyard barn, rode at that barn until I was about 20 (in my late 20s now), got out and rode at a better barn (eventing-oriented barn) for a few years of my early 20s then quit when the instructor moved out of state - don’t have the time/money to really take lessons let alone own a horse.

@J-Lu got me! I have not ridden an Andalusian (at least not that I know of lol).

1 Like

How did you know??

1 Like

Cool! Thanks!!! They are pretty cool horses. When I was 16, my friend’s father owned a racing standardbred in Saratoga Springs, NY. I went to visit with them one day and we went to the track when the horse was exercising. They let me drive the horse in the sulky around the track! (obviously with the driver sitting next to me telling me what to do) It was one of the coolest things I think I’ve even done.

2 Likes

@aregard @sophie YES! How did you know!!!

I’ve always wanted to ride a Welsh Cob. When I lived in Houston, there was a trainer who trained for a fantastic owner who bred fantastic Welsh horses through FEI and 2 to GP. They were soooooooooooo nice!!

The appaloosa belonged to a friend when I was maybe 13 and was one of the first horses I rode regularly. The arabian was a stallion who was owned by a friend in Houston. We used to joke that if he were human, he’d be sitting in his study, surrounded by books, wearing a smoking jacket, smoking a Cuban cigar and sipping high-dollar bourbon with the fireplace going. His son (she bred) was sent to show with Hilda Gurney for a few years and is now showing with a TX trainer. My BO owns a mustang. I currently own a Westfalen.

1 Like

Yay! I know you are more H/J and Andalusians are not in that wheelhouse. That was the basis of my random guess.

Ha!!! Morgan wasn’t on my list, but I don’t think I’ve ever really ridden a Morgan. So you get partial credit!! :grin:

Hmmm, if you rode an Icelandic and I mentioned how random that would be, and never rode a QH, I suspect you’ve ridden a Marens. But that could be a plant with this logic. Haflinger really stands out to me because it is sort of similar to Icelandic in build and mostly regional like Merens and can also be a plant. Tbs and Hanoverians are everywhere, but warmbloods don’t seem to be the type of horse you ride. Which makes me point to Anglo Arabian. That said, TB could be the sleeper horse on your list.
You deleted your old list so I can’t cross-reference. Obviously I can make a case in my brain to rule out every breed on your list because I’m over thinking this. Hmmmmmm, I’ll say… Haflinger.

I chose Welsh Cob because I was thinking they’re not that common in the US.

I love them too! I rode a friend’s Welsh Cob during a 15 day trek. He had never been out of the arena (and had never carried saddlebags) so the 1st couple days were quite interesting :laughing: but he ended up being a great trail horse!

2 Likes

LOL!
That is quite the reasoning. But nope, you guessed wrong, I did ride a Haflinger, when I was 16, in Germany, when visiting my penpal. We went to a week-long horse riding camp at a Haflinger farm in the Black Forest. Fun ponies! They had Fjords, too, that we used to ride bareback.

Ah, memories…

2 Likes

Lol! I just figured they weren’t common down here.

1 Like

Hmm…I’m guessing Quarter Horse.

OK, others need to chime in because I have my second guess. You say you are not in America (not sure where you are), I have my second guess. What a fun experience when you were 16! Yes, I used to ride bareback and swim my horse at about 17. Sooooo fun! He was a “who knew what” but he looked Morgan/QH to people but could jump the moon and we did jumpers. He was edgy but hey, I was 17 and we all went swimming with our horses. He so enjoyed it. I swam my previous dressage horse and she always said “this is cool…OK, I’m done”. :slight_smile:

1 Like