Unlimited access >

4 truths and a lie!

I had long stopovers in Guam. What a beautiful island. I once got propositioned when bathing on the Hyatt beach and once had two guys who I had drinks with at the Hyatt bar (another time) drive me to the airport with zero shennanigans. They were also stationed there and we walked down a very dark part of the beach to where they parked their car (where I though “This is incredibly stupid of me”) but they were total gentlemen. I’ve grown up a bit since then.

1 Like

Nope - mule. Quarter horses are super-common here (well, everywhere, I think), most of the lesson horses I rode at the aforementioned sketchy-ish barn growing up were Quarter horses (or in the case of the grade horses, probably still part quarter horse), they actually did have a mule but I don’t recall anyone ever riding her - I rode western as a kid, though not competitively aside from the occasional 4-H fair. I rode a Trakehner at the smaller local barn (I say eventing but it was kind of an all-around boarding facility run by a really nice lower-level ammie eventer in the area.) as a lesson horse, the first horse I owned as a teenager was an OTTB, and I rode a few horses that weren’t really a single breed (briefly owned a palomino that was believed to be a QH/Saddlebred cross though god only knows whether he was or not - he sort of looked like a saddlebred in the face/overall body shape, but chunkier.) and likely still had some QH in them.

1 Like

What on earth even is a Merens/Marens? Thought I’d heard of most horse breeds but that’s a new one to me.

2 Likes

I just remembered I could’ve used Belgian and/or Appaloosa on my list and thrown people off as technically I’ve ridden both if “riding them as a kid maybe three times, tops, at the farms of some people your dad somehow knew/found on what’s effectively either a guided trail ride or short jaunt around the pasture” counted - back before I was really in anything resembling lessons as a kid, I rode a Belgian mare once and basically took trail rides on an Appaloosa maybe three times, tops.

I should have had Shire on my list. I had a chance to ride one at a horse fair. Bareback (not like you could fall off easily-his back was like a living room). It was awesome. Of course, they gave me a boost up!

2 Likes

Bet that was fun!

1 Like

The Merens is not widely known outside of France. It’s native to the Pyrénées mountains in south western France. Rugged small horse that looks like a mini Friesian :slight_smile:

3 Likes

Before you give me your second guess - I grew up in France but have been living in the US for 30 years :slight_smile:
I used to go swimming with my Morgan in a local pond. The first time we went in, she literally went under and came back up sputtering ! She got the hang of it eventually.

Why thank you! :grin:

I’ve never ridden a Fjord.

1 Like

What a fun idea for a topic!

Tennessee Walker
Percheron
Arabian
Orlov Trotter
Paso Fino

My theory is the REALLY ‘out there’ breed is a breed you’ve actually ridden so one should guess the second most "out there’ breed. But really, riding an Orlov Trotter???

I guess Paso Fino.

1 Like

I’m going to go with the most common breed in your case. I say: Arabian.

You guys are good! It is an Arabian!
Years ago I owned a lovely black Orlov Trotter.

1 Like

Well, I actually went with a list of odd-er breeds that I had ridden so that my not didn’t completely stick out like a sore thumb. I figured TB, QH, App, Paint, Akele Teke would have been too obvious :laughing:

1 Like

Wow, what was the Orlov Trotter like to ride? It is pretty much similar to the US version, the standardbred in terms of job and gaits, right? Could it canter? Where did you ride it? As in, what country, I’ve never heard of an Orlov Trotter in the US (but I obviously could be missing alot). How cool! Do tell!

1 Like

I purchased the horse from a Russian who imported him many, many years ago as a stallion. He told me the local stud brought a handful of horses to town to sell, my guy was one of them.
The horse was actually a Grand Prix jumper. His trot was amazing, huge reach. But he also had a good canter. He worked very hard before I bought him. He was so kind to ride, and absolutely the bravest horse I have ever met. He would go anywhere. He had a great last decade and lived to be 29. His papers were an amazing piece of history.

3 Likes

How cool!

1 Like

@sophie In your case, and we can wait until others chime in, but I’m thinking my second guess is a Hanoverian. I was going to say TB (my third choice) but my rationale. Bear with me. (I changed my mind below).

You have ridden all sorts of horses. You could have easily never ridden a TB but they are everywhere. Again, that could be the sleeper on your list. Hanoverians are common, too, but maybe you’ve ridden every other WB breed except for that one. I really want to say Hanoverian. My brain thinks that. But maybe like bingbingbing, it’s the most common breed on your list, too.

Ack!!! Hano, TB, Hano, TB… I’ll say…TB?

The very first Horse Illustrated issue I ever read (about 34 years ago) had articles about the all-around abilities of Standardbreds and Saddlebreds. I’ve seen Standardbred information packets at horse festivals that stated there are ridden races, don’t know where those take place.

He was 1/8 Shetland, 1/8 Arabian, and 3/4 TB.

2 Likes

Standies are huge under saddle in Aus. Highly regarded as versatile mounts. We had a breeding farm nearby that bred Arab/Standardbred crosses for endurance.

1 Like