Unlimited access >

4 truths and a lie!

Your first guess was the correct one! I’ve never ridden a Hanoverian.

My current horse is a Tb, my favorite school horse when growing up was a little Anglo-Arab mare called Lionne. I rode Merens horses while on vacation.

1 Like

Okay, I’ll play.

Arabian
Dutch Warmblood
Trakehner
Oldenberg
Hanoverian

I’m going to guess Arabian solely because it’s the only non-Warmblood on the list.

I’ve actually ridden an Arabian in a lesson, and rode a friend’s a few times. Nice horses, but I am a bit tall for them!

Not fair! The different breeds of WBs are often a product of who approved whom. Trakehners are the only closed stud book in this list!

OK, you’ve got three Germans and one Dutch. I want to say Trakehner, with my second guess being Dutch. Yes, I’ll say that! My third choice would be Oldenberg because of where you put it on your list. I know I over think these things!!! :slight_smile:

Cool!!! What was the Merens like to ride???

No wonder the Aussie Standardbred I rode in Guam as a lesson horse was so good.

1 Like

The one I rode on a 2 hours trail ride was a bit pokey, but once I broke a branch to use as a stick he woke right up :slight_smile: They are small but take up your leg nicely, like some old style Morgans do.
I’ve seen some really well trained ones and they can be as flashy as baroque horses.

2 Likes

I’ve owned a Trakehner/TB cross, and rode several Trakehners when I was horse shopping several years ago. A little Dutch WB mare broke my heart because she didn’t pass the the vet exam… I loved her!

OK, my list. I’ve ridden for decades and travelled a fair amount.

Meren
Finn Horse
KPWN
New Forest
Arab

I’ll say Arab, just because. :slightly_smiling_face:

The first Arab I rode was handed to me all tacked up and ready to go by his owner. A lovely chestnut gelding. Off we went for a pootle, my sister and I, chattering away as we walked on buckle end with an occasional relaxed trot and canter on the field margins. When we got home and I untacked, I found the bit was so low in his mouth he must have carried it most of the ride between his lips to stop it falling out! Such a kind horse. I was young.

2 Likes

OK, I’ll say Meren because it was already mentioned. Hmmmmm, WAIT, I’d want to say KWPN in your case, but somehow that doesn’t feel right. New Forest could be in line with your diverse breeds if you travel alot and ride on your travels, but could be an excellent plant. Finn Horse, out there enough for me to believe you rode one. Hmmmm, between KWPN and New Forest. The others are mainland Europe so I’m going to say New Forest! KWPN is my second choice!

1 Like

Excellent deductive reasoning. The Meren is a totally charming horse, with loads of Spanish flair, that comes from the S Pyrenees. The breeders have romantic drives of horse herds going up into the remote alpine pastures each spring to live free and then back down in the fall (have a search on the internet). One day I would love to participate in that. Fell in love with the breed the first time I rode one.

Finn Horse, a week riding N of the Arctic Circle, in Finland. The national breed, always Chestnut, a bit aloof until they get to know you. Back home again, at the end of our adventure, I went down the pasture fence line looking for some especially lush grass to give my horse a thank you treat. So early after the snow melt, it was almost possible to sit and watch the plants grow in the heat of the spring sun. So I’m off away from the milling group of horses and people at the top of the turn out field, walking on my own, looking down for the perfect clump and when I looked up, my equine companion of the past week had quietly followed me the whole way - and he whickered when he realised I had noticed him there. Totally won my heart. Really intelligent horse, bright as a button.

Next, the big question. How come I can precisely recall the palomino Forester I rode on the New Forest when I was 9, half a century ago, and I can’t recall what I did on Thursday last week? OK, it’s Lockdown and I haven’t been able to ride for months: maybe the brain cells are rusting up.

So my big lie is KWPN. Just a WB I’ve yet to ride , for some reason… ah, no!!! I’ve just remembered one as I’m writing this. Epic fail!!! I have no lie with my five truths. Whoops.

2 Likes

Unfortunately, there is a penalty for that. Let’s think of what it might be, heh heh heh…

2 Likes

OK, I’m officially jealous of your riding history and your travel to such cool places. Arrgghh! I thought for sure the New Forest was a plant! Well, if you can’t remember what you did on Thursday last week I can see how you’d forget riding a pretty common breed compared to those very regional breeds. I get partial partial partial credit for my second place answer being a breed you forgot you have ridden! Hahahahahahahahahaaaa!

1 Like

LOL! After posting my first list I did remember riding a QH after all, a friend’s horse. Also. I thought at first from your list that Meren was a breed I didn’t know but it’s Merens with an -s :wink:

New list!

Appaloosa
Paint
Camargue
Fell
Shetland

I never rode a Hanoverian!

1 Like

Fell is a rare breed in its own country, England. Shetland is widely popular in a mistaken belief that it is suitable for small children because of its small size, Camargue are dispersed outside their home region and are fairly common across France. Appaloosa as a colour rather than as a breed is relatively common in most riding nations. Paint, as an American breed, has spread to Europe and Australia and NZ as people like the bright colour. So I will say the lie is the Fell .

Prince Philip, the Duke of Edinburgh, drove a team of Fell ponies that the Queen bred at Balmoral. There are currently many pictures of him doing so. Excellent ponies in their ability to turn a hoof to many things.

1 Like

Very good!
It’s actually because of the English Royals that I thought of the Fell for my “lie” :wink: but I’ve met a few in France as well. I guess it was too easy. Should have said Connemara or the like haha.

As a small person, I have always been asked to start or retrain young horses and ponies :wink: I rode many Shetlands and other ponies when I was a pony camp instructor many years ago.
As a kid I rode Camargue horses in their natural habitat, full speed on sand trails and shallow water in the Rhône delta. Fun little horses. Fun anecdote: during one of those outings, my sister, who was 14 at the time and a better rider than I was, was given to ride a beautiful young Camargue. After the ride, during which she’d been gushing how much she loved the horse, the “guardian” told her, “if you can ride him away from the herd, he’s yours”. Oh how she and I got our hopes up that we might be able to get our first horse! But she never managed to get the little stinker really “away” from the rest of the herd.

I tried an Appaloosa once for a lease, he was a nice event horse but then I decided to buy another horse instead.
And the Paint was a friend’s horse. Tough ride, one of the only horses who actually gave me blisters because he leaned so much on the left rein, and I guess my core was not as strong as hers (!) she took him to Prix St George I think.

2 Likes