Unlimited access >

5 Ponies & A Horse....Show Checklist Help?

I will be in charge of six girls aged 6-11 for a 5-day h/j horse show in another state starting Wednesday. No parents

Anyways, I was wondering if anyone can offer suggestions/remind me of things I might be forgetting to make sure the girls bring. Obviously they will bring all their tack & show clothes (or at least I hope!) but it is hard for a 6 year old to remember stuff I might be too frazzled to remember. I’m not bringing MY tack box (which has accumulated everything I could possibly need after 7 years of showing!), so I will need to make sure to have everything.

If it helps, here’s what the girls are going in:
3 Short Stirrupers (ages 6, 7, & 8) with ponies
2 Medium Pony Hunters (both aged 11)
1 Modified Children’s Hunter (aged 11) with a horse

I just suddenly remembered I need to check on the number of seam rippers & earplugs we have hanging around…any other ideas?

Emily proud
member of the junior clique!
Emily@catchride.com

I print one of these for each show…Last year, I was able to give this check list to my 9yo daughter, and she was able to pack everything she needed herself (of course I went over the checklist with her when she was finished). For away shows, I pack the stall supplies myself.

SHOW: (name)

DATE:____(days showing)_____

SHIPPING:(day/time)___

STALL SUPPLIES(Away Shows)

__Grain
__Hay
__Feed/Water Buckets
__Bedding
__Manure Bucket
__Pitchfork__Shovel__Rake__Broom

GROOMING SUPPLIES

__Brush Box (Away Shows)
__Brushes
__Fly Spray
__Hoof Dressings
__Show sSheen
__Comb/Scissors
__Braiding Kit(Check for yarn / seam ripper)
__Wash bucket
__Soap/Vetrolin
__Sweatscraper
__Sponge

HORSE CLOTHING

__Blanket Rack
__Stable Sheet
__Scrim Sheet
__Cooler
__Rain Sheet
__Halter
__Leads
__Bandages/Wraps

TACK

__Work Bridle
__Show Bridle
__Martingale
__Rubber Reins
__Saddle(s)
__Girth
__Work Pads
__Show Pads (one for ea. day)
__Polo Wraps
__Front Boots
__Hind Boots
__Bell Boots
__Studs Kit

TACK CLEANING SUPPLIES

__Bucket
__Sponges
__Ammonia
__Glycerine Bar
__Neatsfoot Oil
__Lexol
__Metal Polish

LUNGEING EQUIPMENT

__Lunge Line
__Lunge whip
__Side reins
__Surcingle

MEDICAL SUPPLIES

__Bute/Banamine/Ace, etc
__Thrush stuff
__First Aid supplies

TOOL KIT

__Hammer
__Screwdriver
__DoubleEndSnaps
__ScrewEyes
__Clothesline/Twine
__Work Gloves

RIDER STUFF

__Boots
__Boot Polish kit
__Shirt(s) and__Collar for ea.
__Breeches ( )pairs
__Jods ( ) pairs
__Kneestraps
__Elastic foot straps
__Belt
__Hat
__Hair nets,etc.
__Gloves
__Stick(s)

MISC:

MCL

[This message was edited by M. O’Connor on Jun. 18, 2002 at 07:04 AM.]

<<Wonderful list! I hope you don’t mind if I print it out!>>

Be my guest–but, the above post was right; add clippers to the list first! (Actually, I only pack my clippers for circuit trips, such as FL, otherwise, we clip before we go…)

MCL

Make sure you’ve got plenty of towels and stuff like that…kids make messes. And water to drink. I didn’t see clippers on the list (I may have missed it) and you may need them. Are you bringing bedding, or getting it at the show? Don’t forget screw eyes for buckets. Flashlights. And first aid kids, both human and horse!

Also…double ended snaps, baling twine, and duct tape can bail you out of almost any situation.

Good luck!

~ Laura ~

my site

Pack your halo. You are an angel to take on this group… Either that or you have NO IDEA what you are getting yourself in for. Overstimulate, overtired, nevervous, can’t sleep, will get sunburnt in the pool,will forget courses, will cry and slug pony when she goes off course, etc., etc., etc. And you have taken this on 5x over (or at least 3x over with the short stirrup kids).

What ever you are being paid, It is not enough. Where are the loving parents? How can they miss watching their little darlings show? Maybe they know something you don’t…

I would rather have 3 root canals than trade weekends with you, but that is why you deserve the halo and I don’t.

Eat well, stay fit...die anyway.

At the last horse show I was at we all forgot saran wrap and furizone, brown paper bags or paper towels and poultice, and also so you wont have to go out and buy them; bit keepers and rein stoppers. And its a good thing to bring extra twine and duck tape – you never know! Also you can never have too many towels

Extra reins and halters

Just remember a kick in the a$$ is a step forward.
Unknown

<BLOCKQUOTE class=“ip-ubbcode-quote”><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Emily A:
I will be in charge of six girls aged 6-11 for a 5-day h/j horse show in another state starting Wednesday. No parents <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

I’m thinkin’ you need to remember to pack some Valium - for yourself!

Extra stirrups and stirrup leathers especially! I have seen a couple people have their leathers break while showing!! That would be bad, very, very bad if you had no stirrups for the rest of the day Although you might get brownie points from the judge hehe

Steph & The Frito Bandito
~~Member of the Vertically Gifted Clique~~

I will be in charge of six girls aged 6-11 for a 5-day h/j horse show in another state starting Wednesday. No parents

Anyways, I was wondering if anyone can offer suggestions/remind me of things I might be forgetting to make sure the girls bring. Obviously they will bring all their tack & show clothes (or at least I hope!) but it is hard for a 6 year old to remember stuff I might be too frazzled to remember. I’m not bringing MY tack box (which has accumulated everything I could possibly need after 7 years of showing!), so I will need to make sure to have everything.

If it helps, here’s what the girls are going in:
3 Short Stirrupers (ages 6, 7, & 8) with ponies
2 Medium Pony Hunters (both aged 11)
1 Modified Children’s Hunter (aged 11) with a horse

I just suddenly remembered I need to check on the number of seam rippers & earplugs we have hanging around…any other ideas?

Emily proud
Emily@catchride.com

You said Valium, I’d say earplugs (exactly how many times can you listen to the Britney Spears album before wanting to commit suicide) plus tylenol (pop two before dealing with Doodles eating cheeseburgers, and three after witnessing Pumpkin deposit rider at the second jump and go merrily out of the ring, kicking the ingate steward on his way. Somewhere along the way you may switch to margaritas.)

Seriously – bring bandaids. Granola bars or power bars (they don’t melt as much) in a cooler to ward off horse-show crankies. Handi-wipes for getting rid of the remnants of tears, dirt, leftover granola bar, or pony slime. And a threatening look that can be shot at any pony who appears to be ready to go Thelwell on you.

and perhaps hand cuffs for the darlings dare they get out of hand?

Pony Rock

Small horse items are usually easy to replace cheaply. I assume that you have given them a packing list for tack items, brush boots/polo wraps, brushes, hoof picks, etc. Our usual crisis is when kids forget their swim suits!

Don’t forget sunscreen, and treats for if the ponies are good!!

Emergency phone numbers where parents can be reached 24/7.

Parental consent forms if you go with a child to the ER.

Health forms and medicines you can administer.

Liability insurance to protect yourself.

I hate to put a damper on things but you are totally responsible for other people’s children. You must be prepared for any emergency.

Bless you for doing this for the kids. Bring a camera along to capture all the fun on film.

<BLOCKQUOTE class=“ip-ubbcode-quote”><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Kestrel:
Small horse items are usually easy to replace cheaply. I assume that you have given them a packing list for tack items, brush boots/polo wraps, brushes, hoof picks, etc. Our usual crisis is when kids forget their swim suits!<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Haha, trust me, these kids are remembering their swimsuits! The 7 year old talked about the pool for what seemed like an hour

Emily proud
Emily@catchride.com

Hopefully the parents will pack the clothes, but when I was little, I ALWAYS forgot undies

Nothing worse than trying to find a K Mart in a strange town

<< posted Jun. 18, 2002 05:29 PM ?
Extra stirrups and stirrup leathers especially! I have seen a couple people have their leathers break while showing!! That would be bad, very, very bad if you had no stirrups for the rest of the day>>

I disagree! Check your tack before you leave home and replace or repair ANY tack in poor condition!

It would indeed be very bad if your tack has been allowed to deteriorate to the point of breakage, and worse if you brought that tack to a horse show–all tack should be checked for wear in the normal course of routine care (ie cleaning); repairs should be made BEFORE something breaks, not afterwards!

You should however, bring extra rubber bands and leather pieces for the peacock stirrups–they tend to soften up and go flying off the stirrup just when you least expect it!

MCL

Just make sure none of them forgets their boots like I did. The saying that if you forget everything else don’t forget your boots hit me hard when I did what I was not supposed to. I ended up having to borrow Emily’s boots which were WAY too big for me in the calf, but amazingly stayed on me. People still tease me about the incident which happened quite a few years ago. I still love Emily to this day for letting me borrow them.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~*
“Live your own life, for you will die your own death.”
- Latin Proverb

<BLOCKQUOTE class=“ip-ubbcode-quote”><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by M. O’Connor:
I print one of these for each show…Last year, I was able to give this check list to my 9yo daughter, and she was able to pack everything she needed herself (of course I went over the checklist with her when she was finished). For away shows, I pack the stall supplies myself.

[This message was edited by M. O’Connor on Jun. 18, 2002 at 07:04 AM.]<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Wonderful list! I hope you don’t mind if I print it out!

~*Katy*~

~Don’t think. Just jump it~
~In Loving Memory of Romeo~
April 26, 1993-April 19, 2002