Unlimited access >

A quest for tights

Tropical Riders Enduracool Full Seat Deerskin.

You’re welcome.

Wait for sales where this combo will run $150ish.

They can come in multiple custom choices from waist rise to seat type to length etc.

https://tropicalrider.com/enduracool/

1 Like

I literally wore my Botori breeches to yoga class yesterday before heading to the barn to ride.

2 Likes

Has anyone tried Pomme’s tights or breeches yet (https://www.wearepomme.com/us/)? I especially like the styling on the breeches, though the tights look nice too. The lack of super obvious branding is especially appealing…I love my Free Ride’s, but I really wish they didn’t feel the need to stamp a giant brand on the front of the thigh.

1 Like

I was just looking for more info on Esprit tights and saw this comment from you. I think you are right about multiple small companies using the same tight design and just changing the logo and silicone pattern. But one of the other similar companies is selling their tights for $99.90 a pair… and Esprit’s riding tights are only $64.95 per pair.

Do you have any idea if they are all the same fabric in addition to the design? That’s a pretty significant price discrepancy. If they are both the same quality fabric though (they are both advertising the 4-way stretch, wicking and comfort, etc), Esprit is definitely a better deal.

I have 3 pairs of the Espirit so I’m sticking with them. Some of the other brands may have some differences in material, but for example I see several brands have the “pro” version which is lined offering more compression.

1 Like

Hmmmm. I just checked one of the brands I am comparing and their winter tights are gone. Just have regular weather lightweight tights that they call “Lux” … but not the same “Lux” as Free Ride. They are advertising using some sort of weather related fabric in these tights… so maybe that accounts for the big price price jump of their tights vs the identical style Esprit version?

I think you are right about them using the same Chinese OEM provider. And that’s fine, except that one of the brands is advertising themselves as USA based. Honestly, for the same price point people can by BOTORI tights, which are actually sewn in the US.

I have one pair of Esprit (the winter tights) and while I like them, they’re not my favorite. If the price wasn’t so good, I probably wouldn’t have bought them/kept them. Still, they’re nice, especially for the price. I just think they fit others better than me.

For me, I adore Botori. They just fit me the best. I don’t love every style (not a fan of the andi), but I own more Botori than I should. I wear them as leggings, to ride in, to workout in… they’re fabulous. And they fit me. Due to price, I take advantage of sales and seconds (not perfect) type discounts. I do recommend trying different styles to see what works for your body type. Also, the owner is wonderful and responsive.

1 Like

There’s a recent long thread in the Plaid Horse Adult Ammy lounge group comparing tights as well. It seems like Free Ride and BOTORI are getting multiple rave reviews.

I like that BOTORI offers non silicone tights, and their logo is actually subtle. Subtle is a refreshing change :rofl:

Freeride advertises a lot and has more styles so they are popular. Never heard of Botori, but the price steers me away instantly.

For the Espirit winter tights I use them for lessons and clinics when I need to look nice and will probably be working hard enough to stay warm. I wear them at home when it’s in the 40s but wear other tights when it dips into the lower 30s.

1 Like

FreeRide actually has some non-silicone options now! They have a few suede knee patch options and now suede full seats. Granted they are the Pro model so heavier than a tight, but still super stretchy. I have been wanting a pair of suede FS for the longest time now but regular breeches just don’t fit me right, so I’m so excited about these.

2 Likes

I just want to add that Botori is very much a small business based out of Philadelphia. If you send an email, you will hear back (in my experience, almost always immediately) from the owner. ImI’ve only ever dealt with PJ — it’s a very small business and items are made locally.

But, you don’t ever have to pay full price you don’t mind waiting. I wait for sales, I’ve bought at horse shows (I got a sale pair of Adlers for $50), and she regularly has coupon codes. Do I get the newest style? No. Do I need the newest style? No. But I feel good supporting a small, PA business. And, when my husband bought be a pair in a pattern that I owned (I did not need 2 pairs of camo tights), she exchanged them without letting him in on the secret.

3 Likes

They’re almost certainly the same fabric if they’re coming from the same OEM, who likely has a single or very limited supplier list for fabrics for what they manufacture.

2 Likes

I got 2 pairs of Botori tights from the Tried Equestrian for a huge discount off the normal price. It seems like Botori has a deal with them where they help liquidate old styles and whatnot since both pairs I got were brand new with tags. I absolutely loved the PJ tights, they are the most comfortable pants I own. And pretty flattering too. The pockets are a good size and there are 2 of them which is always a plus for me. The Alder pants are nice too but not as comfy as the PJ. They’re more of a sporty material. Not too thin like some other brands. I was going to return them but SO threw them in the wash, tag and all, so I guess I’m keeping them, haha. (Another bonus, both pairs are machine washable and can go in the dryer!)

A few years ago I went on a quest to find the perfect riding tights and the Botori PJ are at the top of my list. My other favorites were the everyday training tight from Black Horse Clothing. They don’t sell the same design but have a similar style. Haven’t tried those.

1 Like

Ooooh! Suede knee patches are my preference as well. Easier on the tack and comfortable!

Honestly, I think it’s pretty refreshing and awesome that someone has actually insourced/on-shored manufacturing of their clothing line, and is taking pride in providing personalized customer service. I will happily pay 30% more for a decent product from a company like this, simply because I respect that they are trying to do things domestically and ethically.

7 Likes

Definitely agreed, especially for a company that also tries to be more sustainable! I hope this eventually becomes the norm

1 Like

Well… it would help if some big name riders promoted BOTORI or another domestically produced brand instead of one of the alternatives. Also… hasn’t the German Equestrian Olympic Committee worked with Pikeur since the 1970’s? I thought that was a major part of how Pikeur became the respected and valued brand that they are. Maybe the US Team should take a serious look at a TRULY US made equestrian apparel brand.

I’d much rather pay more for local breeches than order from other bigger brands made in China. So thank you for the recommendation.

Currently I’m riding in FreeRides and my favorite Tropical Riders. I have 2 pair of Equestly breeches but I’m not a fan after wearing them a couple of weeks. They didn’t break in and get comfy, still stiff and t the bottom of the riding pile.

3 Likes

Love Tropical Riders but they have closed up

Yes, that’s a shame :persevere: I literally used up several pairs of the extended patch deerskin TRs, and always loved them!

I have a bunch of FS schooling breeches (and tights), I like some of them more than others – but I am someone who likes a slightly looser fit – and lately a lot of tights are now compression type fabrics.

I’ve tried to go up a size but then they just hang on me – I’m pretty thin. Just am not a fan of the sausage casing feel, but love the silicone fullseats!

1 Like