Unlimited access >

Abler update

Thought I’d let Abler fans and/or those interested in ordering from Abler that I received my order in just over a week.

My only complaints are that there was no US tracking (only the Airmail tracking) and Abler wanted a signature on delivery (delaying my delivery by the day it took me to get to the PO). Neither are deal breakers for me.

I’m pleased with my experience, and crossing my fingers that the pop rocks work their magic on my gelding.

You can put in the comments to Abler that you don’t want to have to sign for package.

That’s interesting…we just got our order and it took almost a month. Did you opt for the “expedited” shipment?

abler update

[QUOTE=chipper2128;8148242]
That’s interesting…we just got our order and it took almost a month. Did you opt for the “expedited” shipment?[/QUOTE]

Chipper2128, I didn’t opt for expedited shipping. Maybe I just got lucky? For reference, I’m in Texas. Ordered on a Sunday night, received shipping confirmation on Monday, received delivery notice on Tuesday of the following week.

It is worrisome that delivery is so across the board, but I have to think it’s the USPS/customs more than Abler.

I think you are right. Both orders I have had with Abler have sat in NY Customs for a week or more. Once they get out of there, they seem to get here in a reasonable amount of time. This last order had a sticker from the FDA on it that essentially said: “We’ll let you have this drug this time, but we may not in the future”.

Did your order have that sticker on the outside of the package?

I just wanted to say I have had great results from the pop rocks. Really good. My particular orders came about 1.5 wks, each time. one time was expedited, the other time regular. Same delivery time.

I got mine in maybe two weeks ago. I opted for the expedited delivery for the first run and it took about 2.5 weeks. The day it arrived was like 11 business days but throw in some weekends and it took awhile. I also had to sign on delivery and I had just worked night shift and didn’t get out of bed in time so I couldn’t get it until the next day :no: I will remember to ask that they just leave it by my door next time!

How does everyone else feed the pop rocks when your horse gets a lot of wet food? Like enough that it takes over the 15 mins to eat? I’ve been trying to give him either a small handful of grain or break up a gooey treat and dump them on top but since they are so small it’s hard to make sure he gets them all.

We feed soaked beet pulp once a day. But, on the top of the beet pulp, I spread a thin dry layer of crushed hay cubes (almost like powder) then spread the pop rocks on that so they stay dry. The size of the hay cube portion on top of the beet pulp is about 5-6 inch in diameter. He loves the hay cubes, so he gulps down that as the first part of that meal. It’s gone in a minute or two. Then he continues eating the beet pulp. I checked his bowl each time and never saw any blue dots left.

Can you feed two different times? My mare gets her pop rocks on a couple cups of sticky senior in the morning. Easy to see if she’s eaten them.

Her main concentrate meal comes at noon.

I used to mix mine with applesauce and syringe it in. It was administered immediately and I could make sure the horse got the dose.

Mine currently gets fed 4x a day with soaked beet pulp, hay cubes and then a bit of grain and supplements. I’m trying not to be a PITA and adding more difficulty at feeding time! Since he gets so much it takes awhile for him to eat. If I’m there at the right time I top dress towards the end of his meal but if I’m not I was hoping for some great thing I hadn’t thought of. If I need to I could syringe I guess!

FWIW, I re-ordered on May 31 and the shipment arrived yesterday. Regular delivery. This has been my experience every time I’ve ordered from Abler. Never paid for expedited delivery and it comes in two weeks or less. My DH works from home so he received the package. Otherwise, I would have had to go to the post office.

No notice from customs, either.

On the topic of Abler - I had my horse scoped yesterday - he has been scoped multiple times in the past 10 years for ulcers. It’s been more than 5 years since last time (he’s retired now). He has raging ulcers again now. I had suspected he had them back earlier this spring and put him on one month of the pop rocks and have had him on U7 since weaning him off the omeprazole. I’m not buying the pop rocks again :frowning: I’m not sure that they work - maybe they do after a longer period of time, but at that point, you may as well have bought the gastroguard!

awaywego, when my mare had raging ulcers, it took more than 6 weeks of full Gastrogard. For us, the BPR have worked just fine as a preventive.

[QUOTE=stryder;8188832]
FWIW, I re-ordered on May 31 and the shipment arrived yesterday. Regular delivery. This has been my experience every time I’ve ordered from Abler. Never paid for expedited delivery and it comes in two weeks or less. My DH works from home so he received the package. Otherwise, I would have had to go to the post office.

No notice from customs, either.[/QUOTE]

Me too. I have never had any delays or issues with customs.

[QUOTE=awaywego;8188840]
I had suspected he had them back earlier this spring and put him on one month of the pop rocks and have had him on U7 since weaning him off the omeprazole.[/QUOTE]

Because unfortunately, multiple independent studies (for anyone who wants citations, I’m tired, you can use Google too) discovered that there is an enormously inconsistent amount of omeprazole in this product. It’s a QA/QC problem, to state the simple facts.

So some may get the advertised amount of the active ingredient, some may get more, some may get none at all, depending on the batch. FDA, like any other group, is neither all good or all bad, but they are standing on good science on this one (a pleasant surprise, actually).

So if you are going to spend money on a horse that you know has ulcers, buy the gastroguard & know you got what you paid for. I had to go through a nasty ulcer case — I am grateful for my very practical vet who also stays up to date on his journal articles (helps that we are close to NCSU); you don’t HAVE to do full tubes for a month & impoverish yourself. We gave 1 per day for a week, then 1/4 tube for a week or two after that, then switched him over to ranitidine for healing/maintenance for the rest of his competitive career.

There ARE many good generic products out there, heaven knows I redneck everything I can, but as a scientist of many years who also has no money, this is definitely not one of them for me.

[QUOTE=wildlifer;8191330]
Because unfortunately, multiple independent studies (for anyone who wants citations, I’m tired, you can use Google too) discovered that there is an enormously inconsistent amount of omeprazole in this product. It’s a QA/QC problem, to state the simple facts.

So some may get the advertised amount of the active ingredient, some may get more, some may get none at all, depending on the batch. FDA, like any other group, is neither all good or all bad, but they are standing on good science on this one (a pleasant surprise, actually).

So if you are going to spend money on a horse that you know has ulcers, buy the gastroguard & know you got what you paid for. I had to go through a nasty ulcer case — I am grateful for my very practical vet who also stays up to date on his journal articles (helps that we are close to NCSU); you don’t HAVE to do full tubes for a month & impoverish yourself. We gave 1 per day for a week, then 1/4 tube for a week or two after that, then switched him over to ranitidine for healing/maintenance for the rest of his competitive career.

There ARE many good generic products out there, heaven knows I redneck everything I can, but as a scientist of many years who also has no money, this is definitely not one of them for me.[/QUOTE]

And once again, Wildlifer proves herself to be wise beyond her years. You do not know what you are getting. Poprocks may work with one batch and not with another.

And there are recent findings showing that a 1/2 tube of ulcergard was as effective as a full tube.

Remember to titrate off of the ulcergard and also, if using it periodically, prior to competitions, you need to give it the day before, the day of, and at least the day after. If you give a full tube the day or days of competing, you need to give a 1/ tube and then a 1/4 tube on the days after in order to allow the horse to adjust…

I have also heard of people using the full dose of Gastroguard and re scoping at a month to find that they still had ulcers. In fact, one vet had a client who it took six months of Gastroguard to fully get its ulcers healed.

And since even after a sufficient treatment of Gastroguard, there is no guarantee the ulcers won’t come back quickly, I do prefer to treat using Abler omeprazole and/or ranitidine as with multiple horses. So far, any that were symptomatic for ulcers quickly resolved with the BPR. Some just need to be on it for longer…

if ulcers persist beyond a month or two, and the gastrogard comes through your vet, with scoping showing continued ulcers, then most likely Merial will come through with a guarantee of sorts. At the least, they will be talking in depth with your vet and most likely providing additional gastrogard at no cost. Of course, without scoping, you never do know what is going on so…

[QUOTE=Winding Down;8191352]
And once again, Wildlifer proves herself to be wise beyond her years.

If you give a full tube the day or days of competing, you need to give a 1/ tube and then a 1/4 tube on the days after in order to allow the horse to adjust…[/QUOTE]

Oh no, WD, now there is a bar & I am bound to say something stupid, ROFL!! I won’t show you my certificate that says “it seemed like a good idea at the time…” Hee. But hey, don’t mess with teh science!! :stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye:

Good reminder about the competition dose too – I did the same for Solo after his initial incident: 1 tube for the weekend of a horse trial, he got 1/4 tube per day, so i.e. Thu, Fri, Sat, Sun, & was much more comfortable (cause you KNOW I learned the hard way by doing one just with the Ranitidine alone, poor cranky boy, I didn’t blame him!).