Abscess, now swollen leg, advice please!

One week ago (Sunday) my horse became suddenly very lame on his front left. He was fine in the morning but in the afternoon I noticed that he was quite lame. In checking him his leg was swollen slightly up to about 4 inches above the fetlock with slight heat. In response I gave him 2 scoops of bute in his feed and cold hosed his leg for 20 min as well as shutting them (2 best friends) in a smaller turnout area. Initially I was thinking a nasty fly stomp on harder ground. I wanted to see how it responded so I waited until morning. Pain/limping was better in the morning, I gave him bute in AM + PM feed and cold hosed for 20 min twice that day. Tuesday morning he got more bute, another 20min cold hosing and I called the vet.

The vet came out in the afternoon, discovered an abscess by his heel and drained it. After he drained the abscess he put the hoof in warm water and epsom salts. Obviously, the water got very dirty as the hoof and leg was not cleaned prior to dunking. Then he proceeded to dunk a hoof poultice in the dirty water and then he put it on the hoof and wrapped it up telling me to leave the wrap on for at least a day and if it held up leave it on for another day; take him off bute, do not cold hose, do not use ice boots. The dirty poultice was a red flag but I trusted the vet so I followed directions. Hoof tenderness was improved with the draining and the first 24hrs after didnā€™t change much otherwise so I was feeling hopeful. Thursday morning I noticed increased inflammation with the swelling up to the bottom of the knee joint. I contacted the practice and was told the vet would drop off SMZs. So, he dropped off SMZs without seeing my horse with instructions of 12 tablets 2x a day for a week, again told not to give bute or ice boots/cold hose and continue to rewrap hoof (to be clear I do not dip poultices in dirty water). He got SMZs Thursday night and Friday morning. Friday midday, the swelling is significantly worse and well over the knee. I contacted the vet again and was told to give one scoop bute in AM and if heā€™s still sore next week maybe an X-ray. I was not told how many days he should get one scoop of bute and the vet still has not seen my horse since he came out to drain the abscess on Tuesday. (yes I could ask him out but he is very busy and its just ā€œdo the treatment and let me knowā€) I gave him bute Friday evening, Saturday morning and Saturday afternoon. I was making up feed and automatically added the bute in the PM without thinking about it but I figured it wouldnā€™t hurt so I left it in. Sunday morning he got one scoop bute and showed swelling improvement and Sunday afternoon looked better still, not no swelling but much better. I reached out Sunday to get clarification on length of doses for bute and if the vet should come back out to evaluate. Monday morning, another scoop of bute, and now Monday afternoon, the swelling is getting worse again and up around/over the knee. I should also add when I removed the vets poultice wrap the foot smelled horrid, like the worst thrush and there was black nastiness around the white line and frog. I soaked his hoof in epsom salts and added tea tree and eucalyptus oil to help disinfect further. Subsequent rewrapping that I have done of the hoof does not show any of the nasty smell or blackness. As of now, Monday evening, I have not heard from the vet.

I have concern over the possibility of the initial dirty poultice the vet wrapped on introducing a nasty infection into the recently drained abscess hole and the overall non communicative aspect, in having to chase the vet for a reply and to clarify instructions. I still donā€™t know how many days I should be giving bute or wrapping the hoof and I am concerned that a bigger problem is being masked especially with the resurfacing of the swelling, the bute is the only thing that seemed to do anything for the swelling, the SMZs only made it worse and on less bute (one scoop a day) the swelling is coming back. I feel a bit ignored by the vet and that the situation is not being handled properly or with enough concern as it is not improving and to the contrary apparently getting worse. Am I being an overreactive horse owner? Is this normal? Please help and let me know your thoughts, I will clarify anything I can. Sorry for the long post.

I donā€™t think youā€™re overreacting but I donā€™t think youā€™re communicating well with your vet.

Is the horse still lame? Are you changing the wrap 2x a day and are you experienced at wrapping a hoof? Are you wrapping the leg? Is your horse currently on full stall rest or is he getting some movement? Does your horse have a temperature when off of bute?

If he is still lame, the next call to the vet should be ā€œHi Vet. Dobbin is still pretty sore despite being on bute and SMZ. The abscess no longer appears to be draining. His temp is X although he is on bute. I would like to schedule further diagnostics including blocks and X-rays. What is your availability?ā€

If you arenā€™t confident in this vet use a different practice. I donā€™t usually play the ā€œdo you have a trainerā€ card but in this case the questions you are asking are pretty basic so if you have a professional that can help support you that would be helpful as well.

And as a note my SOP for abscesses is no bute unless extremely sore, hoof wrap changed 2-3x a day, standing wrap to help with swelling, and (unless very uncomfortable) an appropriate amount of turnout. I do not ice or cold hose - quite the opposite Iā€™ll incorporate warm soaks daily depending on the stage of the abscess and softness of the hoof.

17 Likes

You might need a stronger antibiotic.

1 Like

I would be wary of swelling that is moving up the leg. But @skip99 is asking the right questions.

7 Likes

IME whenever my vet came out to check for lameness/abscess the hoof was always scraped clean - even if I had cleaned the hoof prior to their arrival, they still use a hoof brush and their hoof knife/tool to clean away some of the hoof while looking for bruise or abscess. So Iā€™m not sure how your vet didnā€™t clean the hoof? Iā€™m also surprised vet didnā€™t ask for a towel or something to wipe off hoof before wrapping.
Also I canā€™t recall anytime when Iā€™ve had a horseā€™s leg swell due to an abscess - a little stocking up if theyā€™ve been kept in a stall but typically if theyā€™ve got a good wrap on theyā€™ll be turned out. Not quite sure why vet came out to give meds but didnā€™t examine leg - I mean he/she was there anyway. Depending on other factors or symptoms my immediate concern might be cellulitis - but OP says horseā€™s lameness is better and with cellulitis the horse would be in pain/lame and probably have a fever. Iā€™d still ask the vet to come out pronto to see what the heck is going on

5 Likes

Excellent post.

A horse standing around will stock up.
A healing abscess will cause more of that.

In my experience, which I have more experience with hoof abscesses than I would like to have, no amount of brushing and scraping will lead to you having clean water when soaking a hoof. Some how, even on the second day (or third, or fourth, etc.), there is always yuck in the water.
I personally have never used the soaking water to wet the Animalintex pads, but it is probably not really causing you any harm here. Did you have a clean water source available for them to wet the poultice?

10 Likes

My vet switched protocol a few years agoā€¦no soaking. We clean hoof and wrap with epsom salt slathered in to hoof. We hand walk on a firm surface the next morning when we take the wrap off. Then we rewrap. I have to say this method is a lot cleaner and I have had the abcess resolved a lot faster.
ETA we also donā€™t bute and abcess

10 Likes

OP, I just went through something similar with my horse a few weeks ago. He came in from turnout on a Friday morning with some swelling, we monitored it over the weekend with antibiotics, and by Monday morning my regular vet advised we get him to a clinic. He spent 10 days there and had 2 highly-resistant bacteria discovered upon culture of the abscess that developed. Weā€™re on a multi-month healing and rehab schedule now. He still has a very large wound where the abscess drained and the skin died off.
Please get your vet or another vet to try a different drug, protocol, anything. If we hadnā€™t cultured the abscess material and didnā€™t know which drug we needed, my horse probably would have been PTS because we wouldnā€™t have been able to tackle the infection.

9 Likes

And if youā€™re not getting the response from your current vet you want, get a new vet. Life is too short and horses are too fragile to not have a good vet clinic you reliably trust and partner with. I say ā€œpartnerā€ because it takes a team to keep a horse happy and healthy, and you want to be able to work effectively with your vet on solutions.

17 Likes

I had never seen one swell from an abscess, until I had. Leg blew up so bad we had to take of her bell boots because we worried it would constrict blood floor with how big the leg was getting. Swelling went past her knee. And it was clearly a draining, smelly abscess on the heel.

6 Likes

I went through both of these recently, abscess and cellulitis.

Hereā€™s what I would do:

Pack hoof with epsom salt poultice and wrap hoof with elastikon tape and leave it on as long as it will stay on.

Walk horse 20 minutes 3 times a day.

At night, slather leg below knee with the poultice and wrap for the night.

After walking, use an ice boot 20 minutes to cool the leg.

I feel bad for you and the horse. Itā€™s not fun for either of you and will take a few weeks to resolve. This too shall pass!

7 Likes

Thanks for your reply! The vet said to leave the wrap on for at least a day and if it held up, leave on for a day and a half before changing it. Only the hoof is getting wrapped, nothing on the legs, and the vet gave an all clear for his normal turnout which is 24/7. His temp off bute has not been taken, I do have a trainer, she is away helping a sick family member and I havenā€™t wanted to disturb her for ā€œjust an abscessā€ but I might give her a ring. When I change the wrap, I do clean the lower leg and hoof then soak in a separate bucket of warm water and epsom salts, towel dry, wet poultice on the sole, cotton over the sole and hoof followed by vet wrap then duck tape. No vet wrap/duck tape directly on ā€œskinā€ and I do not wrap above the cornet band so I can fit my finger tip around the top of the wrap. This is how I was told to wrap and treat it, the fact that the swelling came back pretty immediately after the bute dose dropped to only one scoop a day is concerning and make me wonder what will happen off bute entirely

3 Likes

Im so sorry to hear that but Iā€™m so glad you got it resolved in time, thank you for your input. A secondary or more serious infection is kind of where my mind is right now given how he has responded to the treatment so far but of course, I would love it not to be. The swelling traveling up the leg rather than staying localized is more of a concern in that regard but he isnā€™t walking lame so at least there is that (knock on wood)

1 Like

The vet said that heel abscesses will often present with lower leg swelling, its odd though because our other horse had an abscess present out of the cornet band along the inside of his hoof and there was zero leg swelling and no soaking instructions, just some topical stuff and a hoof sock with what seemed like a more aggressive rupture but who knows

2 Likes

Your vet is not wrong.
But, as you know, different horses deal with things differently.

If you are worried that it is more than that, tell your vet that and ask for further diagnostics.

Are you including anything for your horseā€™s stomach while you are giving all that bute?

6 Likes

How much leg swelling are we talking? Does it look like cellulitis? If you feel like thatā€™s getting away from you Iā€™d definitely call the vet back, or send pictures. FWIW my horses have typically needed more antibiotic to address cellulitis than SMZs. Per my vet this likely has to do with the specific bacteria they are encountering (on my farm? in this area? not sure . . . ). But if you are giving antibiotics and the leg is still blowing up I think thatā€™s worth further investigation. For cellulitis I standing wrap too.

2 Likes

not directly, he is getting chia seeds and camellia oil along with mostly free choice forage, I stopped his gut supplement because it contains a probiotic and I was told you shouldnā€™t feed probiotics and antibiotics at the same time but yes this is another concern for me in him being on the bute for an extended period of time. Do you have any recs?

thank you! the swelling fluctuates in response to the bute, not apparently to SMZs, just being on SMZs made it blow up much more before he started bute which knocked it back down a bit, there is nothing external on the leg, and he is weight bearing which take it for what it is, he is a horse that doesnā€™t really show pain, he is very stoic, I have never had a horse with cellulitis, there is nothing presenting externally on the leg but I am not sure whether it might or might not be. At its max there was no tendon definition in the leg at all with the swelling basically removing definition around the knee as well, only the slight bump out of the bone on the inside

Does the horse move around more when on the bute than when not on the bute?

In other words, could the ā€˜swellingā€™ be fluctuating depending on the amount the horse is moving and not so much directly related to the bute?

4 Likes

Oh Iā€™d for sure give your trainer a ring. When swelling starts happening in a leg, most trainers want to know. Or at least send an SMS and say ā€œjust so youā€™re in the loop, hereā€™s where Iā€™m at.ā€

Your trainer also might be able to help get the vetā€™s attention back on this, too.

All of this advice youā€™ve gotten aside, poor guy! I really hope youā€™re able to get to the bottom of this.

4 Likes