Unlimited access >

Advice Please. . . What do you want to see in your mobile tack shop?

Exactly what the title says. . We have limited space for our booth set ups, so I’m curious, what do you guys want to see from your mobile tack shop?

TIA for all your feedback!

The things that I will probably (err…definitely) break and/or lose while at a show. Hairnets (and elastic hair ties would be FANTASTIC because I always lose those), gloves, crops, spurs, spur straps, replacement bridle pieces, breeches/show shirts (for when i inevitably spill coffee or gatorade on mine and can’t get them washed before my class), HORSE TREATS, horse boots, horse shampoo, liniment, horse first aid stuff, human first aid stuff, a wide selection of bits for when my horse is out of control strong and my trainer screams at me when I tell them that the only bits I brought are a plain snaffle and a slow twist, etc.

ETA: RE: Human First Aid stuff…tack shops that set up at horse shows should REALLY bring along items like bandaids, tampax, contact lens solution, eyeglass kits, ASPIRIN/TYLENOL, etc. I bet they’d sell like crazy.

Yes, definitely the stuff that gets broken, lost, or used up. I hadn’t thought of human first aid stuff, but that’s an excellent idea. Also +1 on a selection of bits. They don’t take up much room and can be a lifesaver when you get to the venue and your horse starts acting stupid.

flyspray

Hair nets for sure! Also pinney holders and armbands if you come to events! I kind of like to see new and different stuff (things I can’t get from Dover/ Smartpak)

Halters and leads,
matching dog stuff
grooming tools,
hair care stuff (for braiding etc)
ear nets,
shoe shine stuff, boot pulls boot jacks,
girths
pads, fleece covers for tack, like a curb chain pad or girth cover.
hoof treatments
wraps and pads for wraps.

Sun screen, for both horse and rider

The option to take orders for the next show

As well as the above, I love a sale rack of nice quality stuff-cute breeches or vests, things like that. I have time to try stuff on and will probably spend money I might not otherwise in either an attack of irrational exuberance, or to cheer myself up!

Tack - the kind of tack I need to replace if something breaks on the property where the tack truck is. For me that means, saddle pads, stirrups, leathers, girths, breast plates and running martingale attachments. Good galloping and jumping boots and probably a few bell boots for good measure. Then, next, emergency/medical supplies, including vetwrap and emoilients. Bug sprays and bug face nets. Then, next, shipping boots. Also, cotton wraps and standing wraps to replace an emergency need for shipping. A flash noseband. Leather halters and nice but cheap lead ropes. Probably a longe line.

These are things which break, which are left home, but which people need at the show to contue their classes, or to go home after an emergency, or after just losing their crap. Double end snaps. Hay net. Oh, and a few hoof trimming supplies, everyone loses a shoe. Heavy duty fly stuff.

A couple of rakes and muck buckets (mind you, the el cheapos, just to get by with).

Then, anything your sponsors want you to carry for salesmanship. Do what they say.

OK, colored rubber bands for braids. Gloves for riders, white or black. Breeches, thats a whole lot of crap to carry, so make is a very few of each color, plus, each size. Cravats and collars. Some interesting new, and expensive helmuts. A few sports shirts. A really useful item would be thiiiinnnn show socks. Power bars and energy bars. If you really wanted to, pack up some whitening show shampoo. Dog harnesses and a couple dog leashes which retract.

I always like to try to find some ball caps with the sponsoring show’s logo.

Feed buckets!! And yes, everything that can get lost or broken or that you might have forgotten at home

whips and crops.
small affordable fun stuff kids want to spend their allowance on.
some hats, maybe some cheap sunglasses.

You guys are giving me lots of great ideas!! We are going on our maiden voyage this weekend and I don’t want to leave anyone out! I think I will go get a basket for human first aid and sunscreen as well as a few snacks for shoppers. . . Everyone gets hungry!

We have pretty much everything covered that was mentioned here, thank goodness!! I need to think of a way to make room for muck buckets. . . they take up a lot of space!

Keep the ideas coming, this is great for my packing day tomorrow!! Thank you!

Use the muck buckets to put other things in, and as display units, you can stack several with other stuff in the top one!

I agree about having some dog leashes on hand–maybe dog blankets that look like horse blankets too, in case the weather suddenly changes and Fido needs some warmth.
And gel bands in case your boots cause rubs.

Yes, I definitely want to see the stuff that I am prone to forgetting / breaking / losing / running out of at a show.

I also love looking at and splurging on fun new products – polo shirts, breeches for show or work, belts, show shirts, that kind of thing. Like another poster said, at a show I’m likely to have time to browse and i’m likely to have extra spending money and I may want to buy something to make myself feel better after a rotten score. :slight_smile:

If you want to make friends, have a rotary leather punch and lend it to customers to punch another hole in their belts, stirrup leathers, etc. (in the store of course).

[QUOTE=IndyEquestrian;8204349]
You guys are giving me lots of great ideas!! We are going on our maiden voyage this weekend and I don’t want to leave anyone out! I think I will go get a basket for human first aid and sunscreen as well as a few snacks for shoppers. . . Everyone gets hungry!

We have pretty much everything covered that was mentioned here, thank goodness!! I need to think of a way to make room for muck buckets. . . they take up a lot of space!

Keep the ideas coming, this is great for my packing day tomorrow!! Thank you![/QUOTE]

Where are you going to be? (bc I am in your area). :slight_smile: I agree with all the above, in addition to little items at your target venue, are you at 4H, A show, schooling show etc. I only point this out because of my daughter’s recent foray into the world of 4H showing, they use some different supplies that I am used to seeing (like pins to pin their numbers on etc). Just a random thought.

A decent size dressing room to try stuff on.

All the repair/replacement items others have already mentioned.

I also like the idea of human first-aid items, just make sure it is legal for you to buy that sort of stuff for resale since presumably you do not get it from your supplier but from another retailer.

The gift shop at my friend’s retirement home buys from a local retailer to resell at a small markup and we both wonder about the legality of that! Convenience for those who can’t get out to the local stores, but which is the greater good?

All the quick ‘needs’ at a show…but here’s another idea too…

we have many mobile units at the showgrounds closest to our area. 4 major area tack shops set up shop quite often. My biggest complaint, is that they invite the public to the shows, not only to help the shows draw more of a crowd, but presumably to sell more items. All the major tack shops are 1.5-3 hours away from this area. We WANT to shop when they come to town. However, it’s frustrating to ONLY see their high end, most expensive pieces on the mobile unit. I understand it’s easy to make a quick buck off the unfortunate “break” or “forgot” item…but it’s nice to have a mid-range option, as well. I had been searching for new helmets, and the mobile shops seemed like a great place to look, close by, already at the show…however, they only stocked the highest end GPA. No price range, no brand range…literally only had their most expensive items; most expensive boots, most expensive bridles, most expensive saddles… we’re not all rich, yaknow! :smiley: