Unlimited access >

Aiken Tack Exchange is awful to consign with - any tips for getting my money?

I consigned a saddle with Aiken last year. I know saddles take forever to sell and was trying them out because I have several. They sold the saddle at some unspecified time in the last few months (I check periodically).

I reached out to them when I noticed the saddle sold. They clarified that yes it did! Great but they have no idea of when they’ll be able to pay me out.

I asked how long it has taken in the past and they said it “just sits until the consignor reaches out”

Confirm with them that me reaching out to inquire about the payout process over the last week was me asking them to payout via check for the amount agreed upon.

Still no idea when the accounts manager will be in to process the check or anything. Beyond frustrating.

I still have 2 Prestiges and possibly an Amerigo to sell (change of disciplines and horse died) so who knows of a good consignor or even someone who will buy outright?

UPDATE 3/25: Aiken has sent me the check and reached out with a resolution that I think would be extremely generous (see end of thread)

3 Likes

Highline Tack is wonderful to work with.

4 Likes

@DFW_Tack_Exchange tends to have glowing reviews.

2 Likes

changed name to DOUBLE OAK TACK formerly DFW TACK EXCHANGE

1 Like

Yikes. That is terrible. I had a very good experience selling with Liberty Saddlery.

ETA: I think I was paid within a day of the buyer accepting shipment of my saddle through Liberty.

1 Like

I have had good experiences with Pelham Saddlery.

Regarding your story, the people at Aiken Saddlery told you that they just sit on the money until the consignor reaches out to them after they’ve sold the saddle? Really? Are they secretly (not so secretly) hoping that you either forget where you consigned it or else somehow just evaporate into the ether?

Just on the basis of that statement alone, I’d never work with them.

28 Likes

well they would call block me as I would call Very often

10 Likes

Yes. She’s changed her story a few times throughout the convo which I shortened for clarity but I have it via text:

1. Hey [me]! I just received your email and wanted to reach out and confirm that your saddle has sold! We do not reach out when an item sells because of the amount of consignors and items we have, but if you chose check payout you are already in the queue! If you prefer store credit (80% of sale profits are yours instead of 70%) just let me know. You do not have to be local to us to use your funds as store credit.

Seems like it’s already in the works maybe? So I ask how long it normally takes:

1. Our account manager processes payouts as the funds from each sale become available. She’s not in every day so I am not sure what the timeline is! I believe you were originally entered in as store credit, so it may just take a moment to get thru the line!

Ok so the check is maybe in the works but maybe as store credit. I’m in the “store credit queue” apparently but she can’t check because she isn’t the account manager.

Note: I did not and would not have chosen store credit (I have that in the sales contract and also 3 more used saddles to sell) and also regardless they never told me the saddle sold or that I had store credit either! I confirm that I am asking for a check to be mailed to me and have never asked for store credit. Confirmed in our conversation (in the same text thread) from June.

1. If you choose store credit the funds sit there until you use them or request a check. So even if a saddle sold a year ago, the funds wouldn’t be automatically sent until the consignor reaches out

But again, I never asked for store credit - I explicitly asked for a check. So they pretend like I asked for store credit and it’s totally already there for me but they never told me and I have no way to even access their store credit??

ETA: I can’t even reach them on the phone I always get voice mail. But I’ll be checking in daily. Luckily it was one of my older lower end saddles but yeah I’m mad.

16 Likes

Me too, bought and sold thru them for decades now, always prompt to pay.
Yes, some saddles take longer than others to sell, but payment has always been prompt by the end of the month saddle sells, I think.

2 Likes

Yes, but I was tagging her user account - which is still DFW Tack Exchange. I also sent her a DM on Facebook since it looks like it’s been a few years since she’s been active on the forums. :wink:

4 Likes

I sold a saddle last year through the same shop that I purchased it from originally. I periodically checked the website and finally noticed it was gone. I then reached out to them (they didn’t notify me), but I got the check very quickly after that.

I too had a horrible experience with them.

ETA - I definitely felt some sleight of hand/game playing going on.

4 Likes

You should have a consignment agreement that states in very small type their payment process.

I run Manhattan Saddlery and we have a small, but robust, consignment business! Small means I can focus on individually marketing every saddle we have and we typically sell in fewer than 6 months. I let customers know their saddle sells usually same day, and checks go in the mail within 30 days. I’d love to earn the business of some COTHers so please reach out if I can help. :slight_smile:

23 Likes

As someone who lives right next to Manhattan Saddlery, can attest that there are always beautiful saddles out on display and I am always tempted when I go in!!

7 Likes

I’m the one with the Prestige Bellagio - we’re already talking :slight_smile:

3 Likes

redwood tack bought my butet outright and it was very easy. i believe i communicated through facebook messenger

1 Like

I took the time to look at their contract on their website. It looks like they do send a check upon request, it’s just not worded that way.

Every consignment store I’ve ever used doesn’t call me when an item sells. The $ sits and I have X amount of time to check on it. It looks like their “full inventory” is tons of items, not just saddles. I’m wondering if that’s why they don’t call?

Are you talking about the Aiken Tack Exchange contract?
The saddle consignment contract uses the term automatically. I do not see anywhere that it says the person has to pay attention and call to see if their product sold.

This is such a weird format, in my opinion.

If they keep records of who owns the item, them taking the time to send a quick email or text saying the item sold uses far less of their time than fielding weekly calls from every seller asking - did my item sell yet?

This thread has been very informative that having to keep track of your stuff to get your money is not uncommon.

8 Likes

On the rare occasion that I bring stuff to a consignment store, I am to the point that I won’t “consign.” I lay everything out and offer them a bulk price, take it or leave it.

That way, I have my money and they can price it however they see fit, and turn a profit on their timeframe without having to call me or me them.

9 Likes